Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a Kitchen Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Ken if you don't mind asking what part of Oregon? Am I going to see a camp host with a Moravian next summer on one of our camping trips?
    Michael,

August we will be in the Valley of The Rogue State Park, Sept. The Cove Palisades State Park, and I'm not sure about Oct. MsBubba set it up but it is over in the Eastern part of Oregon by a pretty big lake. If you see a motorhome parked in a camp host spot with two OF's, one still a cute Scottish Lass, and a Moravian workbench be sure to stop and say howdy.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Michael,

August we will be in the Valley of The Rogue State Park, Sept. The Cove Palisades State Park, and I'm not sure about Oct. MsBubba set it up but it is over in the Eastern part of Oregon by a pretty big lake. If you see a motorhome parked in a camp host spot with two OF's, one still a cute Scottish Lass, and a Moravian workbench be sure to stop and say howdy.

ken
    Both sounds like nice spots. Cove palisades is on lake billy chinook, which if I remember right is well known for bull trout. Bring a flyrod.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Both sounds like nice spots. Cove palisades is on lake billy chinook, which if I remember right is well known for bull trout. Bring a flyrod.

Thanks Michael,

I will along with the kayaks.

ken

Well, I moved all the wood pile wood off the Alder and rescued a few boards. Next is sawing eight trim blanks.

kitchenTrashTrimBlanks.jpg

I have a number of nice, well sharpened Disston and Atkins hand saws and even a Bad Axe Panel saw and 80% of the time I'll use one of the Stanley 26" Hard Point saws. Often on larger joints, like on a work bench, I'll use the Stanley or one of the other hand saws for joinery instead of one of the large back saws. Go figure.

The other kink, I have room after the bench move to easily set up the saw benches. The saw benches are perfect knee height and rock solid. They even have holes for using hold fasts. In fact they were set up to use tonight. I ended up using the work bench. For some reason I prefer using the work bench for short cutoffs. Does anyone else do the same?

ken

Can’t say I have a preference for sawing. Pulling out the saw bench or grabbing a couple of bench hooks takes about the same effort. I use a vintage western saw with the saw bench and backsaws with the bench hooks. Up to 3/4 stock and less than 7-8” wide, either way works. A few swipes on a shooting board and done. Prior to having a saw bench, I am guilty of actually crawling up on the work bench to break down stock with a western saw.

I’ll use the hardened tooth Stanleys for rough work with plywood, mdf, treated lumber, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Can’t say I have a preference for sawing. Pulling out the saw bench or grabbing a couple of bench hooks takes about the same effort. I use a vintage western saw with the saw bench and backsaws with the bench hooks. Up to 3/4 stock and less than 7-8” wide, either way works. A few swipes on a shooting board and done. Prior to having a saw bench, I am guilty of actually crawling up on the work bench to break down stock with a western saw.

I’ll use the hardened tooth Stanleys for rough work with plywood, mdf, treated lumber, etc.
    Phil,

If I tried to crawl up on the work bench today I'd either end up in Urgent Care, MsBubba would have to help me off, or both.

ken

Starting to fit the base trim/foot to the box:

kitchenTrashFitting BaseTrim.jpg

ken

This is where the shop changes are paying off. With the two benches facing each other, on the off bench I have the bench hook for sawing to rough length and next to it is the shooting board for trimming. All I have to do to work between the two benches is to do a 180.

fittingBaseTrimA.jpg

Pretty cool.

ken

Bottom trim has been cut and fitted. Tomorrow I'll clean it up, round the top edges, then hot hide glue the trim to the box.

baseTrimFitted.jpg

Hot hide glue is perfect for this job. Just use a rub joint, after a minute or so the trim piece will not creep or move. let it cure overnight and the job is done. The other advantage is any squeeze out can be cleaned up with a rag and warm water.

I'm not in the short rows just yet but getting close.

ken

The only problem with hide glue is not using it and getting it ready. Makes you want to keep a lot of work going on so you can keep the glue cooking all of the time and not have to deal with setting up for a short run. Sort of like the old still out in the woods, just need to use up the product and keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    The only problem with hide glue is not using it and getting it ready. Makes you want to keep a lot of work going on so you can keep the glue cooking all of the time and not have to deal with setting up for a short run. Sort of like the old still out in the woods, just need to use up the product and keep it going.
    James,

I normally try to turn the pot on at least every other day and most days the first thing I do when walking into the shop is turn the glue pot on, the glue can and likely will go bad by the third day or so without being at temp. If I know I will not be using any for a couple of weeks and there is a good amount of glue in the pot I will sometimes spread it on a screen to dry. You can use the dried glue like hide glue pearls, re-hydrate and re-heat and it will work fine. Normally I try to plan my use so if it is going to be a week or two between use I try to make just a little extra and toss when finished.

Hide glue, either liquid or hot doesn't work or is best for everything but one or the other usually comes pretty close. You have to pay a little more attention to your glue when using hot hide glue vs liquid or yellow but when the glue job is in the hot glue wheelhouse it is worth it.

BTW, I like your analogy.

ken

The base trim is glued. It still needs trimming and cleaning up but that will have to wait on the glue to cure a little more. While waiting on the glue I'll make the removable top trim and lid. Followed by the clean up and a good soaking and rubbing with Tung oil and that sucker will be finished

baseGlued.jpg

Unless MsBubba has plans for me, next up is a knockdown shavehorse so I can get rid of the one in the middle of the shop.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-27-2020 at 12:08 PM.

I've finished the kitchen trash can base unit and have the first application of Tung oil on it. The removable top trim unit is in glue up and the lid also needs glue up.

kitchenTrashBaseFinished.jpg

I expect two or three more applications of Tung oil to finish the can.

MsBubba is off running the streets and beaches of Oregon and will be back in Tucson by the first of November. At that time I'll find out if I made a nice trash can for the shop or an OK one for the kitchen .

ken

Ken, I'm curious about the apparent size. Seems rather tall for a standard 16 gallon kitchen trash bag. Nice work. I love Alder

Hi Ken,

Have been following and enjoying. Also curious about the size and what you'll use for liners. And the nails (sorry if I missed the details on the nails)...

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra