Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trim router

trim router

Adding a trim router to the shop. There are a lot of options. Leaning towards the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router. Any suggestions or words of wisdom to look for?

I have and really like the Ridgid R2401 trim router. I also have the DeWalt DW611 with the plunge base and love it for shelf pins. Looks like the Makita is about $74 on Amazon and wouldn't have an issue with buying it either. There are a lot of good choices

I have heard good things about the Bosch Colt.
    Regards,

Kris

I tried bunches to replace my aging PC’s that were beat to death in my biz, the Dewalt beat them all as far as base being square holding its adjustment ect and I don’t even like dewalt tools but after the Bosch, Makita and Ridged were no good, (maybe i got all duds..) i went for it…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen White View Post
    Adding a trim router to the shop. There are a lot of options. Leaning towards the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router. Any suggestions or words of wisdom to look for?

Hi Stephen

I have this one. It is very good - excellent dust collection, good power, lots of accessories and reported reliability.

If I were looking for a new trim router, I would get the cordless version. It has the addition of an internal light, which is very useful. I also hear it is even more powerful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    I have heard good things about the Bosch Colt.
    The older Bosch Colts have an issue with the fixed base slipping, I understand the newer model solved this and the plunge base on the older ones doesn't have any problems.

I have a Bosch Colt and just bought a Milwaukee M18 Fuel, battery powered router.

Love the freedom of not dealing with a power cord.

The Milwaukee is also easier to bit change and adjust the router bit height.

I have the 20V Dewalt one and it's very good. Easy to adjust depth and locks securely. The spindle stops immediately when you cut off power, which is nice. I guess because of the brushless motor.

I use it with the single stack (2Ah?) batteries for better balance and get plenty of runtime from those.

Leaning towards the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router. Any suggestions or words of wisdom to look for?
    It's alright.
    I had the chance to really work with my Makita cordless version of that router. I also have the corded version that you want. I bought it just so I could get the plunge base.

I love how handy the cordless router is - but - the plunge base leaves a lot to be desired.

I really like the DeWalt 611pk a whole lot better. That little rascal has a great plunge base.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I've not done a ton of research, but isn't there quite a difference between trim routers and compact routers? The trim routers I have run at 30,000 rpm. Really only good for small diameter bits as anything with some size will burn incredibly easily.

Hey thanks everyone will go through and check out suggestions.

Richard, ya know the term 'compact' and 'trim' seems to be interchangeable between the brands and often have both terms in the description, I will dig deeper on this though.

A number of you seem to like the cordless. I was worried they would be gutless. I have a cordless circular saw and love it for being able to chop down my wood order so I can get wood back to shop in my covered pickup bed but the saw seems pretty gutless and would not want it to be my main circular saw. It is a cheapo one though so that might be it.

I've had the Bosch Colt, the Makita corded, the Rigid Cordless, the Makita cordless and the Milwaukee cordless. I sold the Colt, gave the Rigid away and use the Makita cordless sometimes. I usually reach for the Makita and Milwaukee cordless ones, as the freedom of movement is nice (take a piece outside, where I don't have to clean up the shavings from the lawn). I've used the dust collection on the Makita, too. It works great. Both are well lit and both will power thru cuts as well as the corded version did. I have a lot of Milwaukee tools, so it's nice to have various batteries available. I tend to use the Makita more, as it's always set up with the round over bit.

I have this router along with the Ridgid trim router, I use the Ridgid a lot more than my Makita, smaller lighter, easier to use. I have the plunge base for the Makita and honestly have never used it, I have always like the size and weight of my bigger plunge routers.

Stephen - I've never found myself wishing the Dewalt cordless had more power. It only takes 1/4" bits after all. I use it for chamfer and radius bits and for cutting narrow dados with a 3/16" straight bit.

That's the one that China knocked off. Grizzly sells the knockoff as does MLCS. I have the Grizzly T27139, $89.95 with both bases. I imagine the finish is more crude than the Makita but the Grizzly seems to work just fine in my limited usage. Any of the trim routers will be limited to 1/4" shank bits and the Grizzly does lose torque at low RPMs. Trying to spin a relatively larger bit at low RPMs probably wouldn't work. But then that's not what these machines are intended to do, that's the bailiwick of 1.5 h.p. and up midsized routers. For jobs like trimming wood edging overhang they're excellent, light and nimble. I wonder if that's why they're called trim routers?
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-18-2021 at 7:32 AM.