Thread: Where to put the screws?

Blog Entries

Where to put the screws?

In between projects, a little shop maintenance is always helpful for me. Here is a little cabinet I built to hold wood screws. No need for lengthy, boring description – hope you enjoy the pictures!

Best, Mike

2 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

1 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

4 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

9 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

For anyone that read all the way through this post, here's the marquetry project I just finished. Took me about 8 days.

10 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

What do you think I should do with it? I'm thinking may be jewelry cabinet or some BS, self-aggrandizing thing I can put on my desk at the office?

Appreciate any advice or suggestions,

Best, Mike

That is terrific! If I saw it in an old book I would be certain the color was enhanced way beyond the real piece. I won't say it wouldn't look look good on a desk.....will say it wouldn't look right on most desks. I think you have made a fine GIFT.

Blog Entries
    Nice screw storage cabinet.

The marquetry is fabulous.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice cabinet Mike. I like the way you shaped the drawer faces and of course the figure. The dovetails look good too!

The marquetry is just stunning. I'd mount that, frame it and hang it in your home or office. While I might (maybe. with years of practice.) be able to learn the physical technique of assembling a piece like that, I know I don't have your artists eye to visualize each individual petal and how to "sculpt" that. Your work is always pleasing, but you've outdone yourself with this one.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My screws are now jealous. Nice work.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Very nice Mike! Sure beats my plastic multi-bin screw holder.
    Now about the marquetry. Stunning. I think it would be perfect on a piece like this:

75CC5E0C-5174-4035-B3DA-DE5811C4D891.jpeg

Please get started on this right away. I want to follow the build thread.

That is awesome and the marquetry is impressive. I have always wanted to try marquetry, but it sure seems to take a lot of patience.

I think we are all happiest building things to organize our shops. My brother got into this hobby and last time I was out there he had filled his shop with things to organize everything.

Mike,
    Screw the screws, your marquetry piece is outstanding in both design and execution. It is a tricky problem finding the right piece to incorporate such beauty, I would consider myself blessed to have such a dilemma. I am leaning towards making a piece that would would show off your woodworking skills at work. Let them wonder, "who is this man and why is he wasting his time working here?"
    Regards - Bill

That storage box is really outstanding...not only functional, but really pleasant to look at because of the interesting material that you used. Bravo! And the marquetry is really well done...it's going to make whatever you choose to mate it with amazing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never would imagine a cabinet for holding screws, that looks like Fine Furniture. What does the rest of the shop look like?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Okay, you obviously have too much beautiful wood on your hands if that cabinet is for holding screws. I'll give you my address and You can ship some to western MA. Beautiful work. I would use it to hold micrometers, verniers and other fine measuring tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I never would imagine a cabinet for holding screws, that looks like Fine Furniture. What does the rest of the shop look like?
    I admire folks who use their craft for their shops, too...it was a great choice of material for sure. I visited a 'Creeker a long time ago (I don't remember specifically who it was at the time as I've visited many) and they had scarfed a bunch of 'borg pine inexpensively that had a wonderful birds-eye figure in it, not that far from the OP's "screw box". All of the their shop cabinets featured that beautiful wood!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I admire folks who use their craft for their shops, too...it was a great choice of material for sure. I visited a 'Creeker a long time ago (I don't remember specifically who it was at the time as I've visited many) and they had scarfed a bunch of 'borg pine inexpensively that had a wonderful birds-eye figure in it, not that far from the OP's "screw box". All of the their shop cabinets featured that beautiful wood!

Best looking screw holder I have ever seen.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Nice cabinet Mike. I like the way you shaped the drawer faces and of course the figure. The dovetails look good too!

The marquetry is just stunning. I'd mount that, frame it and hang it in your home or office. While I might (maybe. with years of practice.) be able to learn the physical technique of assembling a piece like that, I know I don't have your artists eye to visualize each individual petal and how to "sculpt" that. Your work is always pleasing, but you've outdone yourself with this one.

Fred
    Fred, I can assure you "artist " and my name absolutely don't belong in the same sentence. This design is taken from a book of craving patterns, regrettably I can't remember the title. This project is much more "paint by numbers", than anything.
    The work is more tedious than anything. You should really give it a try.
    Best, Mike

I always enjoy looking at, make that admiring, your work.

The marquetry belongs on display--maybe a tray on the buffet.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7