Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rasps

Rasps

Im about to start a few maloof-like projects, which means i need shaping tools. Ive read thoughts on machine stitched versus hand stitched, and obviously everyone suggests Auriou rasps. Is it better to have 1-2 Auriou or 3+ of lower quality Narex/similar? Ive never used a rasp before, but when it comes to chisels, id probably rather have a cheap 1/4", 1/2" and 1"+ than a veritas PMV11 1/4".

Blog Entries
    For rough work it doesn't matter much what you use.

For fine work my Auriou 13 & 15 grain rasps can produce surfaces smoother than #220 sandpaper. The important part of the equation is being able to shape the inside curves and other odd places.

Get some decent rasps, maybe even a half round float or shear file if one can be found.

IMO on chisels it is best to have ones that feel comfortable in your hand.

You may also want to look into some round bottom spokeshaves like this one:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...t=1,50230&ap=1

Mine took a few minutes of fettling to get it working well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had the pleasure of trying out an Auriou at the LN Tool Show in Michigan a couple weeks ago. They really work well. I ordered a 10" cabinet makers rasp in the 9G tooth and have used it a number of times. I'll order a complementary smaller size soon.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

4. Loigier are also excellent rasps, but expensive. I have a couple of Gramercy rasps that are decent, and as I recall they are a lot more affordable than the French makers.

Blog Entries
    Here is an old thread on rasps:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?255103

A comparison of my rasps is in the 8th post.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Does anyone here have an opinion or review of the Japanese milled tooth files that Lee Valley sells? They claim them to be excellent for shaping.

I have a few Auriou rasps and yes they are excellent. For flat curves I have had good success with the inexpensive Shinto rasp. I read that Sam Maloof used the Surform type rasp. If I am not mistaken, the modern day equivalent to this might be the Microplane. In comparison to the Auriou or Liogier rasps the Shinto and Microplane are a bargain. I personally feel they each have their purpose.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Does anyone here have an opinion or review of the Japanese milled tooth files that Lee Valley sells? They claim them to be excellent for shaping. Edwin
    Hi Edwin. FWIW, I noticed that the LV files you mention look an awful lot like the Iwasaki Carving Files I have. Mine are great. The LV price is roughly in line with what I paid too. (And with LV, you can easily return them if not satisfied!)
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi Edwin. FWIW, I noticed that the LV files you mention look an awful lot like the Iwasaki Carving Files I have.
    They are the Iwasaki files. I bought a couple and they are magnificent.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

As i feared, all these sources are saying just about everything below the $100 mark is awful and best avoided.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I find a pretty significant difference between hand-stitched and machine cut rasps. I have three of the Loigier and they are great.

All that being said, I find a drawknife and the Lie-Nielsen spokeshaves to be both faster with a better finish. I do use rasps, but generally prefer a sharp cutting tool.

I also made a Krenov style round bottom plane and use a travisher now and then. Less often a Barr scorp. Very useful tools.

Mike

When I built my Maloof rocker, I looked at Rasps and was quite shocked at the prices. I bought a couple of Kutzall Rasps to do some of the shaping. I also used a Kutzall donut disk on my angle grinder and a ball nose Kutzall on a die grinder.

I know that the Kutzall Rasps are probably not considered good Rasps by many Neanderthals but worked great for me.

Two Rocker Pics.jpg

I have the Nicholson #49 and #50 rasps and they do the job that I need them to do. I don't know what they sell for today but I think I got the two for about $100 total ($50/each).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    As i feared, all these sources are saying just about everything below the $100 mark is awful and best avoided.
    Not sure where you got that interpretation. The LV rasps that Edwin mentioned are around $30 USD. Hilton confirmed they are a good product, as I also experienced.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Not sure where you got that interpretation. The LV rasps that Edwin mentioned are around $30 USD. Hilton confirmed they are a good product, as I also experienced.
    Furthering Fred's comment, you might also give the Microplane rasps a try. They are all under $20. I would say they are new improved version of the Stanley Surform that Maloof used (which itself is still available for under $15 on Amazon). I'll also repeat my recommendation to give the $15 Shinto rasp a try.
    The upgraded hand stitched French rasps are a real luxury and a pleasure to use, but it is absolutely possible to do spectacular work without them. Good luck with your projects, wood shaping is very rewarding and one of those features that will immediately distinguish your work from that which can be found in stores.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 05-29-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Corradi has nice rasps at a decent price points; they work very nicely, almost at the French hand stitched level of performance.

http://www.corradishop.com/index.php
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron