Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sander Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hosler View Post
    I'm going to pile on with several of the others... I have both the Festool 150/3 and the Rotex 150. The 150/3 is one of the most used tools in my shop. It is comfortable, you can use it for extended periods (low vibration), and the dust collection is fantastic. It also does a great job giving a smooth surface. I use the Rotex for heavy stock removal, stripping, and initial sanding. It is much more a two-handed sander. If I were recommending a new sander to someone, it would be the 150/3 (or 125/3 if you prefer 5")
    Also note to that, the ETS EC 125/3 can use the 150 pads, so you get the best of both worlds. However the ETS EC 150/3 or /5 can not use the 125 pads. So you are stuck with 6".
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hosler View Post
    I'm going to pile on with several of the others... I have both the Festool 150/3 and the Rotex 150. The 150/3 is one of the most used tools in my shop. It is comfortable, you can use it for extended periods (low vibration), and the dust collection is fantastic. It also does a great job giving a smooth surface. I use the Rotex for heavy stock removal, stripping, and initial sanding. It is much more a two-handed sander. If I were recommending a new sander to someone, it would be the 150/3 (or 125/3 if you prefer 5")
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Also note to that, the ETS EC 125/3 can use the 150 pads, so you get the best of both worlds. However the ETS EC 150/3 or /5 can not use the 125 pads. So you are stuck with 6".
    OK, here's my thing...

I don't typically do larger projects. The largest "flat surface" projects I have done is a Hall Table. That said, I may well be making an entertainment center within the next year or two, some kind of a hutch, and possible a new dining room table.

I also have a whole bunch of 5" Norton 3X discs on hand that I bought on sale. Not that I am basing my purchase solely on having those discs. If the 6" is more advantages, I would choose it. However, being able to use the 6" pad on the 125/3 makes it much more tempting.

Am I making sense?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

You can certainly do all your finishing with the 5" sander. The kind of use you are describing doesn't warrant the machine that will sand the most area in the shortest amount of time. I can't speak to using the 125/3 so I have discussed the merits of the Festool (mine, a ETS 150/3) over the big box store sander options. I don't know the $$s comparison of the two Festool options. Would encourage you to try the 125/3 - Festool has a 30 day trial period - and if it everything you need call it good! If not - try the ETS 150/3.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Festool has a 30 day trial period - and if it everything you need call it good! If not - try the ETS 150/3.
    I did not know that Sam. That helps a lot. Thanks

Stew Hagerty

Relative to abrasives, please remember that the hole pattern is important for dust collection and that centrally located hole on Festool (or Festool compatible) abrasives is one of the keys to that. So if you have a "stash" of discs that were designed for another sander, they will work for sanding, but might not provide the best dust extraction performance. You may be able to modify them with a punch, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    There is something not right with the hook/loop sanding pad on mine, it won't hold on to my Klingspor disks for more than a few minutes before shooting the disk across the room, with the Abranet disks the attachment still fails long before the abrasive side of the disk is worn out. (this has been true with several different new attachment pads) I've been messing with different vacuum hoses,

Have you been using pad protectors? If you use Abranet you need them or you will kill the pad very quickly.

The best hose is a 27mm Festool hose. It also helps if it is supported by a boom and with the cord and hose connected together to make for easy control of them. All the light weight brushless sanders need thought given to the hose. The paddle really is love it or hate it, people coming from air sanders tend to love it, when you get good with it you can feather the speed when working out to edges and into corners. BTW blue tape works quite well for the rare times I want it on all the time.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Have you been using pad protectors? If you use Abranet you need them or you will kill the pad very quickly.
    Yes, I have been using the pad protectors. Their attachment to the sander is fine, it's the attachment between the sanding disk and the pad protector that fails. I've also tried using it without the pad protectors and have the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Relative to abrasives, please remember that the hole pattern is important for dust collection and that centrally located hole on Festool (or Festool compatible) abrasives is one of the keys to that. So if you have a "stash" of discs that were designed for another sander, they will work for sanding, but might not provide the best dust extraction performance. You may be able to modify them with a punch, however.
    Good to know Jim. They do not have a center hole. I guess I'll be punching.

Stew Hagerty

That center hole is the "secret sauce"....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One thing to be aware of when switching to the Abranet is that with the pad adapter there is no such thing as a hard disk. You have to very careful not to round out your edges. I will be using the Festool hard pad and conventional paper up until the second coat for this reason. I just finished the first set of cabinet doors with Abranet and noticed that they are quite rounded. Not a big deal on this style doorshaker with a rounded edge, but for other things it could be.

Jim, I was just reading up on Deros, and it said they were adding a center hole. so the recipe for the secret sauce is out......
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-10-2017 at 2:09 PM.

Velcro pads always have give to them, doesn't matter whose abrasive you use. I use cloth backed psa discs almost solely because of that. I'm also not using vacuum for dust collection

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the 125/3. I'm anxious now to give it a spin. I will update with my first impression.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the 125/3. I'm anxious now to give it a spin. I will update with my first impression.
    I think you will be happy. I have a 125/3, and more than how it works I like the way it picks up dust. I got a bigger job with Makore as the primary wood and the stuff ruins me. With my dynabrades even with a mask I was red eyes and sneezing in 20 minutes. So I broke down and bought the EQ and the little Festool suitcase vac which I mounted on the ceiling, and I could sand that junk all day long with no mask. I have now gotten used to the hose. Like I said before, an idiot I was.......

Martin needs a vacuum........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I think you will be happy. I have a 125/3, and more than how it works I like the way it picks up dust. I got a bigger job with Makore as the primary wood and the stuff ruins me. With my dynabrades even with a mask I was red eyes and sneezing in 20 minutes. So I broke down and bought the EQ and the little Festool suitcase vac which I mounted on the ceiling, and I could sand that junk all day long with no mask. I have now gotten used to the hose. Like I said before, an idiot I was.......

Martin needs a vacuum........
    Well one would think so. Martin your life could change with good vac. Do you not use it because you think it compromises the quality of a sanding? Random orbits over collecting dust isn't better is it? And then there is the air quality thing. Just wondering...

Enjoy your new Festool Stew !
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Well one would think so. Martin your life could change with good vac. Do you not use it because you think it compromises the quality of a sanding? Random orbits over collecting dust isn't better is it? And then there is the air quality thing. Just wondering...

Enjoy your new Festool Stew !
    I don't like the hose. I don't really think there's much to be gained in sanding quality either, dust is ejected from the edge of the pad anyways, though as pointed out already, that fails at the center since there's no speed there.

Air quality isn't a problem. I do the bulk of my sanding on an awesome down draft table.