Thread: What's the less expensive bandsaw that can do this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cummins View Post
    So asked another way, how much money does it take to get a bandsaw that can make cuts like that?....or is it completely how the saw is setup?
    It doesn't cost anything, except a proper setup.
    People ask every day about drift and cupped cuts. I have a 1966 Delta 14" w/riser that I can re-saw 12" with no problems. It's all in the setup and blade.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It doesn't cost anything, except a proper setup.
    People ask every day about drift and cupped cuts. I have a 1966 Delta 14" w/riser that I can re-saw 12" with no problems. It's all in the setup and blade.
    I second that.....

B,

Jerry

Any well made bandsaw can perform cuts like that when set up properly, with the proper blade. It also takes a bit of experience.
    The problem with adopting a system like that is that it will have to be tuned for every different type, or species, of wood that passes through the blade. It exposes the issue of either improper setup, poor technique, or a cheaply made bandsaw that will never track properly. All bandsaw tables have a little play at the trunnion bolts to adjust the table square to the blade, but it should be a one time only adjustment. More precisely what is being adjusted is the fence rail system to be perpindicular across it's plane to the blade. I haven't touched mine since I initially bolted it inplace.
    Any of the 14" Delta's, or Delta clones should be able to perfom exactly as the video without the table being rotated.
    The laser was sort of cool, but if the line it casts is really that wide it would be pretty worthless.
    As for the tenon; Any bandsaw can do that cut.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-19-2012 at 9:59 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)