Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When can you walk on plants sprayed with Roundup

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    When you reach down to spray the weed put the roundup bottle in your left hand, and with your right pull the weed. Put the unused roundup back in the shed. Now you dont need to worry if your'e poisoning yourself and everything else in your environment. This is what I've decided to do on my property.
    How does that work on poison ivy? Not so good, I bet.

Yeah,Bruce. Not lethal to poison ivy. Even brush kill products available from big box places are weaker than they used to be and don't work well. I bought a gallon of a brush kill that is mainly sold to farmers. Its the real stuff. The American
    Indians worked to keep PO down, but we have neighbors who form posses to kill English Ivy and declare PO a native plant
    good for the birds !

I've been telling my Mother for decades that she's too cavalier with chemicals. She uses weed killers, fungicides, insecticides, and anything at all that will let her grow brilliant Roses to take to church. I've seen her wipe spray splatter off of her glasses with her skirt. I've done my best to tell her to be more careful, but you can't tell a 103 year old woman anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've been telling my Mother for decades that she's too cavalier with chemicals. She uses weed killers, fungicides, insecticides, and anything at all that will let her grow brilliant Roses to take to church. I've seen her wipe spray splatter off of her glasses with her skirt. I've done my best to tell her to be more careful, but you can't tell a 103 year old woman anything.
    Yeah, all that stuff will cut her life short

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I wear gloves and cover up when dealing with poison ivy. My point was 99% of roundup use is laziness. Its a product that shouldn't never have been created. Why poison yourself to kill something thats doing you no harm. It's crazy to spray this stuff all over the place and think its not getting into your house and ground water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    How does that work on poison ivy? Not so good, I bet.

6. We don't have much poison ivy around here but we do have bindweed, and the only moderately effective way I have found to deal with it is to take the concentrated glyphosate and dilute it to about half strength and fill up a big can or other container. Ball up the bindweed and shove it in the container and place a concrete paver on top. As the plant sucks up the chemical it will begin to die. It is important to dilute it so it gets through the vascular system before killing it.

I don't use it on things I can pull up with moderate work. But the bindweed is different. I'd use napalm if I could.

Those that believe pulling weeds is good enough to get rid of them are very much welcome to come tackle the Johnson Grass that the state spreads along our 3 miles of road frontage. It's very nice of the state to keep it cut, but they spread the seeds all over the country. Johnson Grass not only spreads by the seeds, but runs roots all under the ground, if allowed to live. If allowed to go to seed, birds will spread it a quarter mile away, and then it multiplies again from there.

That's just one of the things that I fight with chemicals here. We keep a few acres around the house chemical free, but the rest is a no contest zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

Dry humor, I can appreciate that.

I brought in 30 yards of supposedly composted cow manure to my garden and have had a crab grass problem ever since. I have tried everthing, hours and hours of pulling and BAM!, it always comes back. Tried 6 months under black plastic, tried spraying with a steam cleaner. I am going to segregate the garden [large] and make 2/3 an orchard so I only have to fight it in a smaller area, but at the end of this season I will Roundup the whole thing, I'm just over it.

As for farmers spraying "Round Up" on crops, many weeds are now "Round Up" ready also

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Those that believe pulling weeds is good enough to get rid of them are very much welcome to come tackle the Johnson Grass that the state spreads along our 3 miles of road frontage. It's very nice of the state to keep it cut, but they spread the seeds all over the country. Johnson Grass not only spreads by the seeds, but runs roots all under the ground, if allowed to live. If allowed to go to seed, birds will spread it a quarter mile away, and then it multiplies again from there.

That's just one of the things that I fight with chemicals here. We keep a few acres around the house chemical free, but the rest is a no contest zone.

I too have this grass in my front yard...among my ornamental grasses, so my only option is pulling. But if I ever get my hands on that Johnson...