Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet bandsaw damaged again during shipment

jet bandsaw damaged again during shipment

The first time it had busted through the pallet, so the legs were bent up, they sent me a new one and upon initial inspection I only found a plastic adjustment knob broken, so I was okay with that. Then after the driver left I realized the fan shroud had a pretty big dent making the fan not spin and the fan itself is also bent. At first I told the shipper I was just going to load it into my truck and bring it back to the terminal, so I didn't have to wait for another truck to bring me another saw and have to wait all day. They just randomly show up, they don't tell you when they're coming. The saw is about $2k so it looks like I can just buy a new shroud and plastic fan blade for about $80 and it should be okay. I just think it's ridiculous they can't crate the thing properly. This one broke through the pallet too, but appears to be okay.

opinions? This is the third freight truck now that's shown up at my house and i'm afraid the neighbors are gonna start complaining. The shipping company has gotten my address wrong each time too, so I had to call and have it corrected, which also delays the shipment each time. Hopefully they can credit me money for the saw and i'll just order the fan shroud and fan to fix it myself instead of bringing it back to the shipping terminal. I would have helped if I noticed the damage before the driver left each time because I would have just loaded it back on the truck.

I would worry that the shaft could be bent, and would want the seller to send a new motor. They can have the old one back. If you can run the motor with the bent fan off, and there is no runout, it should be okay.

I hear your pain on getting a damaged machine, been there; done that multiple times. I agree that shipping containers can be crap but I've also had machines come in with holes from fork lifts puncturing the carton.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    The saw is about $2k so it looks like I can just buy a new shroud and plastic fan blade for about $80 and it should be okay.
    Buy? Ask Jet to ship those parts to you under warranty. Most machine suppliers are willing to ship parts and let you fix rather than handle returns.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I am of the opinion it saves the supplier money and puts the problem on their customers, it costs less, on an accounting basis, to do it this way vs doing it better in the 1st place. I think it costs companies more money not to do it right, but you can't quantify that, don't know what you don't know.

This isn't really a warranty thing. Honestly this is jets fault. The distributor just sells the product the way it's received from the factory. I didn't have any luck with the distributor today. They just said they'll send me another saw. A third saw. LMAO. Apparantly JPW has been hit by some huge snow storm and they haven't been in the office the last few days. I've had good luck with them sending out parts no questions asked. Although they don't typically send the right part. It takes a few tries. They stuck it on a really thin pallet that's just big enough to fit the saw. Then they make a frame also out of thin 1x3'' wood that's really like 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide and they nail that together, then they put a box over with a JET logo. The hydraulic ram also seems to be leaking. I almost wonder if it fell over.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    I hear your pain on getting a damaged machine, been there; done that multiple times. I agree that shipping containers can be crap but I've also had machines come in with holes from fork lifts puncturing the carton.
    I'm going to start having the items held at the local terminal instead. That way I can look it over good and have them unload it if I find something screwed up. As soon as the truck driver drives off you're sol. That's great that they'll send me another saw, but keep in mind that means they are going to send another carrier to pickup the damaged saw, then they'll ship the new one as soon as they get word the old one is on the truck. So that's two more times I have to wait for a freight carrier to show up at the house. There little under 26,000 pound moving style box truck barely clears the power line to my drive, so i'm worried they'll send a regular semi and knock the line down one of these times. lol

The question is how many saws are they going to continue to send me?

The question is how many saws are they going to continue to send me?
    You were saying you would spend $80 to fix it, how many others do this.....
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    You were saying you would spend $80 to fix it, how many others do this.....
    I'm hoping jet will just send me the parts I need and that will be the end of it. If not i'll just pony up the $80 and move on with life. My time is valuable and apparantly with the current conditions, the shipping world is a shambles right now. There is no guarantee the next saw will be any better. Atleast this one has legs that are straight. I was just wondering how many saws they would actually send if I kept going along with this dog and pony show.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-07-2022 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Language

I'm hoping jet will just send me the parts I need and that will be the end of it. If not i'll just pony up the $80 and move on with life. My time is valuable and apparantly with the current conditions, the shipping world is a shambles right now. There is no guarantee the next saw will be any better. Atleast this one has legs that are straight. I was just wondering how many saws they would actually send if I kept going along with this dog and pony show.
    Travis, I agree. What I am saying is you, like many others, go this route which is less expensive overall for them. Brian
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-07-2022 at 11:33 PM.
    Brian

I'm going to start having the items held at the local terminal instead…
    Whenever possible, I suggest this ^^^

Not defending Jet but the damage is not their fault. We are all struggling with more freight damage than ever, these days. All the LTL carriers are under-staffed, over-worked, and much new/inexperienced labor. We (consumers) just happen to be at the unfortunate end of that chain. In our experience, the damage is occurring between the local terminal and the customer’s address. Machines not strapped into box truck properly, etc. Whatever the cost and hassle involved with bringing a trailer to the local freight dock, it’s worth it. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I'm STILL waiting for my Grizzly table saw to be picked up. It's supposed to finally happen Monday. For now, it's boxed back up on its pallet in the middle of my garage in my way. Once picked up, they'll refund me so I can turn around and re-order. The tough part is even if I upped my already stretched budget to try something different, there's no options here in SWFL. No matter what, I'm at the mercy of freighting. I'm going to stick with the Grizzly because I think it's the best new saw in that price range.

Wondering what will happen to the returned saws.

I believe they typically get fixed sold as refurbished.