Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hammer slider vs. Minimax

Hey James, I would agree with everyone on the blade guard. I really don’t like it at all and feels it limits me sometimes. I would highly recommend an over arm dust port. Honestly I never even knew that feature existed for my saw when I bought it nor did I even know that I needed it. The other feature I wish mine had would be the start/stop button on the end of the wagon. I am by no means a professional and don’t have the hours on my saw that most others in this group have and may can offer better suggestions for that problem but I could definitely see that as a great option to have. Overall the saw does great. It is a very high quality saw. I went from a saw stop industrial to this and am very happy I got into the sliding saw. I think for what I wanted to spend it was a good decision but knowing what I know from using this for the last year I may have decided to spend a little more and get the more upgraded features or a completely different saw altogether. I have a problem with being satisfied because this is a really great saw. I just started noticing things I wish mine had and then I see them on other saws for just a little bit more in price. I am the type that would rather pay more and get exactly what I want.

Thanks, Ryan. I really appreciate the comments. I understand what you are saying about spending a bit more. I had a long conversation with Sam Blasco this morning. I was pretty much set on a MM SC4E. After talking to him, I’m now asking him about the features and improvements (if any) of a MM 315ES with the 8.5’ slider vs the SC4E to see if I want that one instead. Clearly more money but I’d rather cry once. Based on how long I have had my Delta Unisaw, this will likely be my last saw so I want to choose correctly.

Your comment on the controls on the end of the wagon helps a lot. That is a feature I asked Sam about and think I might want to add to my slider (what I get).

I really want to learn from you and the other on the Creek. Thanks aagain for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    Thanks, Ryan. I really appreciate the comments. I understand what you are saying about spending a bit more. I had a long conversation with Sam Blasco this morning. I was pretty much set on a MM SC4E. After talking to him, I’m now asking him about the features and improvements (if any) of a MM 315ES with the 8.5’ slider vs the SC4E to see if I want that one instead. Clearly more money but I’d rather cry once. Based on how long I have had my Delta Unisaw, this will likely be my last saw so I want to choose correctly.

Your comment on the controls on the end of the wagon helps a lot. That is a feature I asked Sam about and think I might want to add to my slider (what I get).

I really want to learn from you and the other on the Creek. Thanks aagain for your insight.

Im with you on the cry once. I feel if I could do it again I may would go the same route. I’m not saying the SC4 is bad at all. The 315 may just have those extra features I would like to have. I never even looked at the 315 though. This was stuff that never really occurred to me to ask.

Have you talked to Sam about a Casadei saw. They are owned by SCM and the machines tend to be similar. I believe there is a special price running , something like 11K at this time. Might be worth a look if for no other reason than to learn about choices. Dave

Never heard of them, Dave. I’ll ask Sam. Thanks for the lead.

Never heard of them, Dave. I’ll ask Sam. Thanks for the lead.

James, I would also think it would be worth it for you to check out Felder. I’m not trying to bash MM at all but in the price range you are looking and your location I would at least check them out. The K700 S is a pretty nice machine.

The Casadei will likely be three phase only. I didn't think of that as I am used to three phase as the norm. The Feldeer 700 and 900 are nice machines. Dave

Call me spoiled, but I don't think either saw will replace the Sawstop. I've always used a slider in conjunction with a cabinet saw. End grain cutting boards would seem to require a lot of little prices, which I never found a slider to be good for. First of all, the slider form factor makes working close to the blade awkward. Also, moving an 5-12 ft carriage back and forth to cut dozens or even hundreds of small pieces gets tiresome real fast. I can't say much about your Mini-Max verses Hammer question, but I would advise you to hold on to the cabinet saw until you know you won't miss it.

I make a lot of end grain boards as well and I really started using my bandsaw more than anything for cross cuts and rips. The waste is almost nothing. And I actually feel a little better cutting close to the blade with my slider compared to my sawstop. The sliders move so smooth that it doesn’t take much effort to go back and forth. I loved my sawstop too but I guess I’m really liking the slider.

A Fritz und Franz jig on a slider improves your safety dramatically when cutting small pieces and will do many other tasks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqzVglze9Nk&t=130s

Regards, Rod.

Understand, Dave. I actually start my Unisaw replacement search with the SawStop. However, for the work I do (ie, furniture), the sliders are really drawing me.

David, thanks for the update. I really want to stay with single phase versus three phase.

I believe that the 315 Elite is currently on sale based on an ad in the current issue of Woodshop News. That should make the cost more approachable and hopefully closer to the SC4.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great to know, Jim. I'll ask Sam and see what is possible.

Ryan, and All - I am trying to reach out Felder too. I understand the 700 series is comparable to the MM SC4E.

However, after several emails through their website, so far they have not contacted me. My next step is to try a cold call. I admit I do get a bit put-off when people and companies don't respond to requests for contact. In comparison, Sam replied within hours to my MM questions.

Does anyone happen to have any specific contact info for someone at Felder?

Thanks.

Ryan, and All - I am trying to reach out Felder too. I understand the 700 series is comparable to the MM SC4E.

However, after several emails through their website, so far they have not contacted me. My next step is to try a cold call. I admit I do get a bit put-off when people and companies don't respond to requests for contact. In comparison, Sam replied within hours to my MM questions.

Does anyone happen to have any specific contact info for someone at Felder?

Thanks.
    Hi, just call : 866-792-5288 and speak to one of the sales people................Rod.