Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plywood pricing crazy

plywood pricing crazy

i went to menards today and was going to buy 4 sheets of osb. around $25 sheet for7/16". was told another side effect of the corons...

Blog Entries
    About the same out here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Checked online at Home Depot on Monday night for 7/16" OSB 4x8 it was listed for $9.98. When I went up the next morning it was over $24. Normally this modulates during the year from 4.98 to 14.98 depending on the season.
    Plywood had jumped too.
    2x4x8 that used to be 2.98 went to $5.48.

Mill closures and a lot of DIY projects because people are working from home or out of work and doing home projects is what I was told.

crazy part of trip was i picked up some cherry plywood i special order . charged me $13 packing and when unwrapped at home had 1/2" osb plywood on bottom of stack.

One other major factor in lumber pricing is hurricane repair increasing demand.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Covid is the main culprit. The residential blip while everyone was off coupled with large reduction in production due to the same reason has stripped supply and driven prices through the roof. Its not just lumber, was at appliance parts shop the other day they are a month or more out on parts that use to come out of distribution in a day, electrical supply is having issues with everything from breakers to bulbs to wire. Its all being blamed on covid. Everyone speaks to large stock orders that show up 20% fulfilled and then dribble in for a month or two.

Read an industry article fhe other day that demand tapered drastically as reopening started but prices are slated to remain high for several more months.

The profiteers are hard at work stripping the consumer yet again. Everyone on the supply side that I speak with are saying they are having record years in profits due to the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    One other major factor in lumber pricing is hurricane repair increasing demand.
    This is very true...and folks tend to trash the panels once the storm passes and they buy more when they need to board up for the next storm a few weeks later...that combined with manufacturing challenges isn't being kind to consumer prices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

An interesting take on lumber. Worth watching through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsZ...ature=emb_logo

You are just lucky you don't have to buy plexiglass. Walking down the aisle at Menards, they had 4'x4'x 1/8" acrylic. $39.99. Probably as rare as Clorox wipes right now, so you have to pay!

And the fires across western states doesn't help anything.
    Youtube recently offered up this materials sticker shock video from a garage builder -- a lot of materials 2-3x what they were in early spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8E-VFrFBuY&t=2s

Matt

I built a new small deck and steps to get in the main entrance to our house. It took a month to get the trex. Now I want to put on aluminum railings on the steps and deck. Order times are two to three months. Guess a lot of do it your sellers are building decks

I should have bought OSB when it was cheap. Need another 12 sheets to finish the inside of my garage loft. At $25+ a sheet, it's not happening soon. I did find an oddball product though that should work even better, for a wall surface, it's 11/16" high-density-fiberboard (HDF, like MDF) faces and a 3-ply wood core. Should countersink screws and take paint nicely. And it's $20 a sheet. I'll use scraps and leftovers for shop fixtures etc.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Agree with what Matt said about the fires. Probably that, hurricanes, and the rona breaking the supply chain. Suspect that the suppliers were expecting a much smaller year when corona started so production was ramped down but now it is fairly obvious that demand is actually booming. Most of the lumber materials we use have doubled in price in the last few months.

Most of the fires are in areas that aren't lumber producers. As for the OSB, has anyone been told there was a limit? If not, then it's not supply and demand, but rather rip off itus. Charge more just because you can. Remember the new trade deal with our northern neighbors also affect prices. Same thing happened at start of first Iraq war. Uncle Sam was shopping for materials for war effort, so everything went up. Gulf hurricanes didn't help either. Think of the poor smucks who didn't have replacement value insurance. Fixed value insurance won't cover the cost of having houses rebuilt with today's prices.

When I worked in insurance claims, I always herd the repair firms and contractors explain the materials prices change with market conditions, weather events, financing interest rates. Despite the current pandemic situation, new home building has not seemed to slow down at all.