Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winding down online presence

Winding down online presence

I am winding down my online presence. I am presently pretty much bedridden due to Diabetes problems, so I am a little slow getting things done (I am also now 90 years old). As a consequence, I am not going to renew my Web Service Provider contract when it expires on 11 March this year - none of my web pages will be available online after that date. Please feel free to copy and use any content in them, including text and photos, for your own use - please just give me credit if you do (this will cover you for copyright permissions). Here is my woodworking information home page:

https://jp29.org/wwtools.htm

James
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-02-2020 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it's readable on large screens.
    “There are three sure signs of growing old. The first is loss of memory ……… I have forgotten the other two”.

-anon

What a great website. I am sorry I had not come across it before, but am glad I can spend some time there before it comes down. Thanks (both for the site, and for the notice).

Thank you for sharing your site. It was quite interesting. You did a nice job with it. I'm sorry to read about your declining health.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

What a beautiful collection of antique tool photos, thanks for sharing and I wish you well. It's a shame it will be going offline. Has anyone shown interest in taking it over? Perhaps someone on this forum could come up with a way to save this for future generations. Maybe a museum would be interested?

I really enjoyed the history of your tools while working in the shops James.
    Thankyou for posting your site.
    I hope you have many good days ahead, and that you can visit here when you are able.

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I should have included this link here:

Dovetails at ninety:

https://jp29.org/dovetail90.htm

Again, please feel free to copy and use any content - just give me credit if you do.

James
    “There are three sure signs of growing old. The first is loss of memory ……… I have forgotten the other two”.

-anon

Sorry to hear about your health problems, James.

In case you don't know, even when you drop your web provider your wwtools web page should be preserved on the Wayback Machine (internet archive). https://archive.org/web/
    I've used it to find and use many inactive web sites. They currently claim to have archived 411 billions web pages!

I noticed, however, there's no link (that I can see) to the wwtools page on the main page. That might be nice for future viewing. (Are there other interesting but incognito public pages?!)

Hey, did you do all the penmanship on the home page? INCREDIBLE! That's one of my favorite things to look at and one of the hardest things for me to achieve.
    I'm also enjoying browsing and reading about your amazing coin collection. I'm gasping in awe. I wish I lived closer and could come visit and see them with my eyes!! I've only seen such coins in museums, and mostly in Europe/England. Thank you for sharing. My prayers go up for you. Hope you can get back on your feet soon.

JKJ

Sorry to hear about your health issues. My prayers are with you!
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Thank you so very much for those kind comments, John.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    …………… In case you don't know, even when you drop your web provider your wwtools web page should be preserved on the Wayback Machine (internet archive). https://archive.org/web/
    I've used it to find and use many inactive web sites. They currently claim to have archived 411 billions web pages! ……………
    Yes, I do know about the way back machine, but I chose to insert a “No Arcihive” Meta Tag in most of my web pages - I didn’t want future web surfers to bring up or quote redundant or superseded content using the way back machine. It is a decision I kinda regret now, but I hope interested visitors will copy updated content from my pages before they go offline on 11 March. I would be glad to send you the source code (hand written HTML and Style Sheets) for any of my web pages that you can use as you wish if you would like.

…………… I noticed, however, there's no link (that I can see) to the wwtools page on the main page. That might be nice for future viewing. (Are there other interesting but incognito public pages?!) ……………
    yes, John, I had already started dismantling the page nagivation structure, but I have now restored it - please check out the navigation links now and let me know how they work. I do have several web pages that I took down - my recollections of WWII Britain, exotic cactus cultivation, Antique flintlock firearms, U.S. cal. 30 Carbines - I can reload them online and send the links to you if you wish - but remember the 11 March deadline!

…………… Hey, did you do all the penmanship on the home page? INCREDIBLE! That's one of my favorite things to look at and one of the hardest things for me to achieve ……………
    Yes, I am a life-long Calligraper (80 years).

…………… I'm also enjoying browsing and reading about your amazing coin collection. I'm gasping in awe. I wish I lived closer and could come visit and see them with my eyes!! I've only seen such coins in museums, and mostly in Europe/England. Thank you for sharing. My prayers go up for you. Hope you can get back on your feet soon. JKJ
    Thank you, John.
    Last edited by James Pickering; 03-02-2020 at 11:16 PM.

-anon

Just FYI:

the link to my Home (Index) page is:

https://jp29.org/index.htm

-anon

Fascinating pages, thank you very much! I have worked with a fellow who trained as an apprentice to build shop fronts, since his retirement he's worked on both building new and restoring old lorry bodies for fairground organs as well as showman's living wagons. Your pages have given me a glimpse of what his training must have been like.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your declining health. I really liked your site and I'd like to host it on my server (I'll give you credit) just so other people can find it. URL coming soon.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your declining health. I really liked your site and I'd like to host it on my server (I'll give you credit) just so other people can find it. URL coming soon.

I set it up on jp29.fiendishplan.com it might take about an hour to propagate. I'd like to add a link somewhere explaining who you are. Do you want it to say anything in particular? [/FONT]
    Last edited by Scott Kilroy; 03-02-2020 at 9:25 PM.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by James Pickering View Post
    yes, John, I had already started dismantling the page nagivation structure, but I have now restored it - please check out the navigation links now and let me know how they work. I do have several web pages that I took down - my recollections of WWII Britain, exotic cactus cultivation, Antique flintlock firearms, U.S. cal. 30 Carbines -
    Yes, all the links I found seem to work fine. Much more to look at now! I want to copy some pages to look at again, especially the calligraphy. You are quite the talented gentleman!

I have exactly one 30 cal carbine in my safe, complete with bayonet and a bunch of rounds. One connoisseur told me to remove the stock and see whether or not "............" was stamped on the steel - rats, I forgot what name he said to look for! I had a 30-cal carbine pistol here for a while but a con man heisted it from my sister-in-law at some point during her increasing dementia. A multidimensional sad story. I always wondered if he tried to shoot it - I have the firing pin!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    I set it up on jp29.fiendishplan.com it might take about an hour to propagate. I'd like to add a link somewhere explaining who you are. Do you want it to say anything in particular?
    Thank you Scott. I am unfamiliar with “friendship.com”. I hope to be up and back on my feet again soon. I am trying to live a simple, uncomplicated and relaxed life right now but I am finding that very hard to do. I just want to do calligraphy (mostly write love notes to my wife, Beverly); admire and read about my Roman Imperial coins; have weekly lunches with my old US Veteran cronies (old “war stories”) and use my vintage woodworking hand tools in a relaxed and enjoyable way. What I DON’T want to do is to spend a lot of time online writing (except for occasional contributions like this) - it tires me out and I make so many mistakes these days.
    Last edited by James Pickering; 03-02-2020 at 10:22 PM.

-anon