Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase Perfect Transformer Noise

Phase Perfect Transformer Noise

I hooked up a Phase Perfect 15HP unit, and I was surprised by how loud it was, and the clunking. I'm not sure what the clunking is (Manual has no information but I found a Youtube video that has the same clunking) As a transformer, I should have know there would be noise, but this is pretty loud. Thinking about moving the unit outdoors. For anyone else considering a unit, if you like a quiet shop when your not using a power tool, you will want to plan on it being mounted externally.

Funny, my 10HP unit is very quiet. It does make one clunking noise after the initial self check when it turns on, but that's it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Clunk is probably a power relay switching on. Normally that would be masked by motor startup noise.
    Bill D

When you say transformer do you mean phase converter? I have always heard that they are delightfully quiet compared to all other RPCs. I have a 10 HP Kay and it has hum to it, for sure. I don’t mind it or hear it much if I have ear protection / music on but if nothing else is making noise it is certainly there.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    When you say transformer do you mean phase converter? I have always heard that they are delightfully quiet compared to all other RPCs. I have a 10 HP Kay and it has hum to it, for sure. I don’t mind it or hear it much if I have ear protection / music on but if nothing else is making noise it is certainly there.
    Have you even left it on all night? I did with my Kay 15 hours straight I wish I hadn’t because it’s not as quiet after that goof .
    Aj

The noise is more of a banshee than hum. Its considerably more quiet than the rotary converter I heard, but I'm sure thats going to be dependent on the motor involved. I would not describe it as "delightful" in any way.

This video is a good representation, at 32 seconds in. The volume does not do the "noise" justice, it's far louder in person. I'll have to dig up the DB Meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBh59Qud94

I would re-install it outside except that my neighbors would almost certainly complain.

That’s definitely the sound that comes from my 10hp phase perfect. Hard to say if yours is louder.

You might try attaching some egg crate foam to half a sheet of ply and setting it in front of the unit. Just make sure it still gets airflow.

You could also get in touch with Phase Perfect, they’re super helpful. And I sound like a broken record saying this but if your unit is over two years old replace the line caps!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Have you even left it on all night? I did with my Kay 15 hours straight I wish I hadn’t because it’s not as quiet after that goof .
    Perhaps the bearings are dry?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hah! No, I haven’t made that mistake. I usually don’t have it on for more than 4 hours continuously.

I replaced all the caps (run and start) last year and then had to tear into it earlier this summer and get a small crack in the rotor of of the motor repaired that was giving me fluctuating voltages and causing the motor to surge up and down in frequency. While the rotor was out for repair I had the motor shop replace the 2 big bearings on the ends that allows the rotor to spin. Couple hundred bucks or so more for those 2 bearings, but while it was out it made sense to replace the Chinese bearings with nice quality ones.

It’s “quieter” than it’s ever been, but still not what I would call quiet. It’s like a bubbling, idling, hum.

The noises that I was hearing from the video posted above sounded very high pitched and abrasive, but I’m not quite sure exactly what I was hearing and if they are continuous or what.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    That’s definitely the sound that comes from my 10hp phase perfect. Hard to say if yours is louder.

You might try attaching some egg crate foam to half a sheet of ply and setting it in front of the unit. Just make sure it still gets airflow.

You could also get in touch with Phase Perfect, they’re super helpful. And I sound like a broken record saying this but if your unit is over two years old replace the line caps!
    Hi Jeff,

That wasn't mine, just a video I found on YouTube, but same noise. I checked the DB meter this morning, its not as loud as it feels, about 57dB when running, 42dB when off. I think it's the fact that it's almost screeching. I assume this is whats expected as they tested the unit right before they shipped to me and it matches up with the video. It's just not something I was thinking about when I went this route. Thank god I paid for the on/off switch.

You have to replace your capacitors every two years??

Just as a point of comparison, I just checked my Kay RPC with the Noish SLM decibel app (that uses my phone’s microphone, fwiw) and I was getting a steady 75 dB sitting right in front of if and more like 60-65 dB when about 10 ft away. This is in a small basement.

It does not screech, though. It’s a steady and relatively low pitched fast idling bubble/hum.
    Still waters run deep.

Mine have a sizzling bacon sound but my ears are old so I barely hear it. I believe I've heard that the newer models might be a little louder than the old blue ones. Some sound is comforting so I remember to turn it off. I need to be within 6 feet or so to hear it unless the fans kick on which always happens just as I am about to shut down. Dave

I've got a number of customers with PP's but honestly, never paid attention to the sound level. Maybe because there is so much background noise in the shop. Now I'm curious. Always assumed they were quieter than a rotary but maybe not?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Mine have a sizzling bacon sound but my ears are old so I barely hear it. I believe I've heard that the newer models might be a little louder than the old blue ones. Some sound is comforting so I remember to turn it off. I need to be within 6 feet or so to hear it unless the fans kick on which always happens just as I am about to shut down. Dave
    That’s a good description David! Sizzling bacon meets a small vandegraft generator.

Derek, yeah, I think that’s what they said. I bought mine used and one of the line caps apparently went bad and it made a bunch of their stuff go bad too. Still less than buying new but a real hassle with shipping, etc. And half my shop was down as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    That’s a good description David! Sizzling bacon meets a small vandegraft generator.

Derek, yeah, I think that’s what they said. I bought mine used and one of the line caps apparently went bad and it made a bunch of their stuff go bad too. Still less than buying new but a real hassle with shipping, etc. And half my shop was down as a result.
    i have a larger unit, but .... same. sizzling bacon. or, colony of angry ants. i proactively replace the caps every couple of years, it's not that hard and ensures that it stays running well. mine runs many hours each day, and hasn't given me a single moment of problems.