Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving 4x8 plywood easily?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I built something similar to this & have grown to like it a lot. There is a short a learning curve to figure out the best way to use it, but once you do, it's a breeze to move sheet goods around. And best of all, It takes no space to store it.

I was always told lift with your back in fast jerky motions. It doesnt seem to work great but maybe I have to be jerkier.

I try my best to not have more than I need and if possible break it down as its coming out of truck with a track saw.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I have less than 2 feet to maneuver, the Speed Skate seems to fit the best. It's a straight shot from my sheet goods, across smooth concrete floor to my garage door and outside on smooth asphalt to my saw horses.

Ordered from Amazon for 23.42, no tax and free shipping.

My back thanks you all.
    "If only those heathen atheists hadn't taken God, Jesus, and the Bible out of schools, God and Jesus could have thrown a Bible at the shooter."

Blog Entries
    Look for one of these. I have an old one and I can move anything on it.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...4CWg&gclsrc=ds
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-23-2019 at 3:22 PM.

For what you describe, I use my Troll Panel Handler, http://telproinc.com/products/the-tr...panel-handler/

Helps when you go to pick it up as well. I've had one for years, but don't see any for sale when I looked online for them.

Clint

After building a dolly to transport toilets by using casters from a used-up office chair and some fence board scraps, I've found this freebee to be real useful at the ranch to move most anything that can be rolled. It moves my portable generator outdoors, and by placing a longer 1x8 or whatever on top I can move a heavy table saw by driving the saw as if it were a wheel barrow. You'll quickly learn the easy technique to cross a threshold. We know the 4 casters will support 300 lbs. because they were on an office chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I use this-

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1960...dp/B001DDWQPA/

Works perfectly for me, but you do still have to carry it.
    Dave, Lee Valley has them for almost half the price. They do work well but still need to be strong enough to lift. Sheets of MDF makes my arm too long.

The last big shop I worked at had these, or something like this. It was really nice..load the sheets roll it over to the saw tilt and cut.

Tilt-cart-on-angle.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    For what you describe, I use my Troll Panel Handler, http://telproinc.com/products/the-tr...panel-handler/

Helps when you go to pick it up as well. I've had one for years, but don't see any for sale when I looked online for them.

Clint
    Clint,
    Thanks for the tip. The Troll Panel Handler looks like it will work out better for me than the speedskate. This will also be handy for moving 4 x 4 or 4 x 8 sheets of 11 ga. sheet steel from my storage rack over to the cnc plasma cutter. I just ordered one from Clovis Tools. Amazon and all the other online vendors seem to be out of them.
    Thanks,
    David

https://clovis-tools.com/telpro-troll-troll-300-pound-capacity-panel-handler.html

Telpro TROLL Panel Handler.jpg

I solved both this problem and the problem of transporting sheet good by picking up a Makita cordless track saw.
    Instead of buying & transporting & storing full 4x8 sheets of plywood, I simply buy as I need & cut to finished size right in the parking lot.

I picked up a set of those Veritas platform saddles and whipped up a quick standoff arrangement I can use to support the sheet goods while I cut them down.

Works great for plywood, underlayment, MDF - you name it.
    Since the Makita is a higher end track saw, it does extremely accurate cuts that have a true finished edge - - as opposed to the nasty edge left by the Borg panel saw.

A huge side benefit of this is that it eliminates the need to own a pick up or van, for those few times a year I need sheet goods.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Only solution I’ve found is making your kids help. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    Only solution I’ve found is making your kids help. Haha
    For many of us - it would be the grandkids for help.

The attached photos show how this 77 yr old moves and cuts sheet stock now. I have both a Gorilla Gripper and the plastic panel carriers shown in previous posts, and I do better using the plastic carrier most of the time, but the Gorilla Gripper does come in handy sometimes.

I move the sheets on edge using a shop made panel carrier, made from old lawn mower wheels and cabinet birch ply. I break up my sheets outside my shop using a cutting table as shown in the photos. To move the panel from vertical to on the table, I lay the table on it's side with two small pieces of plywood attached off center to this table edge, so by turning them they extend above the table top. I place the bottom edge of my panel on these and lean it against the table top. Then I bend down and place my hands under both the panel and the table edge and lift, tilting the table and panel until the table is on it's 4 legs with the panel laying on it. I then use my straight edge clamps and circular saw to break up the panels. My final cuts are done inside my shop on my Unisaw, so I break up the panel into slightly larger pieces than I need.

I have a piece of Lexan attached to the shoe of my circular saw, with a hole cut in it to allow the blade guard to function, but the front of this hole has a narrow slit for the blade teeth to rise up through. This performs the function of a zero clearance insert and minimizes chipping of the sawed panel edges. The table has no metal in the upper 1" of it. All of the joints were assembled with biscuits and glue, so I can set the saw blade depth to cut about 1/4" into the table with no worry of the blade hitting any metal. The legs came from Northern and are attached with short screws, which are the only metal in the construction. When the legs are folded they are inside the table edge 1 X 4, so the taple sits on edge against my sheet stock in my shop until I need to use it. The benefit of using this table over saw horses is that nothing falls or breaks away as the cut is nearing completion. Cuts are usually made down the center of the table, so both the panel and the off cut remain on the table until I pick them up or re-position them for the next cut. I never have a break-away as I'm completing a cut so every cut is clean all the way to the end.

With a 2' X 3' piece of plywood attached to the top of this table, I can place my miter saw on it and the table holds both the cut pieces and stock moldings waiting to be cut all at a comfortable working height.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 04-24-2019 at 9:46 AM.

Of all the suggestions so far, that crazy horse lift seems like the most versatile. $90 for the hardware kit might be discouraging to some, but I bet that would soon be forgotten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    Of all the suggestions so far, that crazy horse lift seems like the most versatile. $90 for the hardware kit might be discouraging to some, but I bet that would soon be forgotten.
    I agree, for a shop with lots of room. But it needs a lot of space to move the goods around and a lot space for storage. Both are deal killers in my shop.