Thread: S Kennard Inspired Turned Box

S Kennard Inspired Turned Box

After reading an article in FWW a few years back I was awed by a box turned and carved by Steven Kennard, entitled "Lost Orchard Found". I wanted to attempt something similar without the carving (which I have yet to attempt). It was a fun project, but I'm having difficulty in cleaning up the v-tool rings on the lid as well as several of the junctions between the parts of different species. The box and tray are African Blackwood with Cocobolo. The insert in the box is Thuya Burl. Overall dims are 3.3" Dia x 3.1" H.

Although my feeble attempt still leaves much to be desired, it was a fun project and gave me an even greater sense of appreciation of the skills and attention to details of such a great artist and turner. Now I just need to figure out how to polish up the rough spots.

S Kennard Inspired box 1.jpg

S Kennard Inspired box 2.jpg

S Kennard Inspired box 3.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Do you have a d-way diamond (teardrop) tool? I just got one and it is amazing for cleaning up fine detail. Nice box, BTW.

Blog Entries
    That's the kind of piece that would please me very much, had I turned it.
    Beautiful !

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    It was a fun project, but I'm having difficulty in cleaning up the v-tool rings on the lid....
    Nice design and execution! The wood types look good together.

Do you remember the FWW issue # or date?

To cut v-grooves on surfaces like on your lid I've had good success with this 3-facet grind I came up with a long time ago. I call it my Wicked Point Tool! Since the first one I've made several others in different sizes with some variation on the angles. It cuts cleaner for me than some other tools often used for v-grooves, for example a typical 3-facet point tool.

point_tool_comp.jpg

My favorite one is similar but from 1/4" Thompson 10V steel rod, the first tool behind the handle in this picture. (I grind a 1/4" round skew on the other end.)

ebony_quarter_inch_IMG_7950.jpg ebony_quarter_inch_IMG_7945.jpg

I don't know how best to clean up the existing grooves. Hard to see from the photos if this idea would work but I've had some success in cleaning up rough grooves by folding a piece of Rhynowet Redline sandpaper (600 grit) and curving the folded edge to fit in the groove and sanding by hand. That sandpaper is a wet/dry paper but it holds up well and folds better without cracking than some types of wet/dry paper I've tried, especially some of the automotive paper. I buy from Supergrit (which is a lot cheaper than Amazon.) I use this paper in 600 to 1200 grit for almost everything that comes off my lathe.
    https://www.supergrit.com/view.php?p...eRedFlexSheets

JKJ

Thanks for the comments and helpful tips.

Tom, I don't have the Dway tool, but I just saw a video of it being demomstrated. Looked pretty interesting.

John, the box was in FWW #220 July/Aug 2011 https://www.finewoodworking.com/2011...hat-turn-heads I used a three facet round pointed tool for the V-grooves but your grind looks like a much better way to do it. I'll regrind mine to that shape and try it out.

Thanks again for useful ideas.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Nice piece of work!

I'm curious what the box with inset tray is supposed to be for (if anything, other than lovely).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    Nice piece of work!

I'm curious what the box with inset tray is supposed to be for (if anything, other than lovely).

Robert
    The tray might be useful for a ring and the box itself might hold any small item that one values highly.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Thanks for the comments and helpful tips.

Tom, I don't have the Dway tool, but I just saw a video of it being demomstrated. Looked pretty interesting.

John, the box was in FWW #220 July/Aug 2011 https://www.finewoodworking.com/2011...hat-turn-heads I used a three facet round pointed tool for the V-grooves but your grind looks like a much better way to do it. I'll regrind mine to that shape and try it out.

Thanks again for useful ideas.
    Yep. Super easy to use. I was surprised at how well it works. Presenting tool at a steep angle gives outstanding control, and you virtually cannot get a catch. Will remove the finest of cutting artifacts or cut flawless closely spaced lines.