Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally (fuel pump)

Finally (fuel pump)

After years of “thinking about it”, I finally broke down and bought an electric fuel pump for a 100 gal tank a friend gave me. I’ve been buying diesel fuel at the gas station and hauling it in 5gal cans, about 25 gallons at a time. Besides the extra cost of on-road diesel, just lifting and juggling the cans and funnels was a pain. (I have seven off-road diesel powered machines here.)

Yesterday I loaded the tank in the truck, drove to the co-op with off-road diesel (dyed red), set the tank on a concrete pad that’s been waiting patiently for three years, installed the pump, and topped off sime equipment.

The pump is such an improvement! Just pull up to the tank and fill with the nozzle, just like civilized people. Now I’d hate to go back to the cans!

AC7F135A-DFFA-4A35-B862-4287F145DBB9.jpg

Around here off-road diesel is about 60 cents or so cheaper per gallon.

The co-op will deliver but there’s a fee, not worth it for 100 gal. I have a friend who has a 500 gal tank on his farm - that size tank would be less practical to haul and handle.

JKJ

...one of those 'how-did-I-live-without-it moments' I bet.

But just a quick foray to the 'how-can-this-go-wrong-moments' - - plan some anti-theft measures.

BIL has a construction company (buried utilities) w/ BIG thirsty equipment on various sites. Last year, he had a 3000gal fuel tank on a site, and had a tanker fill it one day. That night, someone cut the lock and stole it all. They most assuredly knew it was full, so conclusion was that the perpetrator was either an employee or the guy who delivered it. Sheriff never found the 'saint' responsible, or recovered the fuel.

Same here. I need to get another one for gas.

I don't have a concrete pad for it though. I built a pallet out of 4x treated lumber with chains that go under the whole thing so I can pick it up with anything that has a chain hook. I just set it where it will be needed the most.

Just by dumb luck, I filled mine up before off road diesel went sky high along with other fuels. I filled up everything, and decided to go fill the tank back up while I had it in the truck.

My pump is 12v, so I can use it away from electricity. I have an SAE plug on the battery of anything that burns diesel, so I don't have to fiddle with alligator clips.

It's 23 years old, and even though it's spent most of its life under a shed, the outside is getting a little rusty. sorry about upside down picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-02-2022 at 11:39 AM.

John the other issue with larger is you have to be placarded for the fuel. 119 gallon and larger require placards. If you browse fuel tanks for pickups they are usually 110 gallon capacity to stay under this regulation. When I was growing up on the farm we had overhead gravity flow tanks that held 500 gallons. Of course they were filled by the bulk truck. Dyed off road diesel should be minus road taxes everywhere. The convenience of the tank will be worth it. I probably would have left it in the truck until everything was full filled it again and then unloaded it. Maybe that's what you did. Enjoy.

The problem with off road is storage. If you don’t use it mold and sludge builds and plugs up filters. There are additives that you can use and also doubling up on the transfer filters might help some too. For me it’s ezr to just pay the tax

I have 100 gallon gas and diesel tanks and fill the diesel maybe twice a year. I keep my wife’s car filled with gas so she doesn’t have to.

Mine may be 110 gal, there was still space with 100 gal.

We used the skid steer to unload it full, no prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    John the other issue with larger is you have to be placarded for the fuel. 119 gallon and larger require placards. If you browse fuel tanks for pickups they are usually 110 gallon capacity to stay under this regulation. When I was growing up on the farm we had overhead gravity flow tanks that held 500 gallons. Of course they were filled by the bulk truck. Dyed off road diesel should be minus road taxes everywhere. The convenience of the tank will be worth it. I probably would have left it in the truck until everything was full filled it again and then unloaded it. Maybe that's what you did. Enjoy.

About 20 or so years ago the nat gas company decided to add to their pipelines to serve more customers. All of a sudden there was people all around here with tanks half full of heating oil/ off road diesel that had no idea what to do with it. So I bought a pump and got my hands on some clean 55 gallon drums and emptied a few out. With a long hose I could just feed it down the hole for the tanks fill pipe making easy to get the fuel out of a basement. I could even leave the drums in the back of my truck. Of course back then fuel was well under $2 a gallon. I did it for free and would remove the tank once empty as long as it wasn't too hard.

I can remember one guy who wanted me to pay for the fuel. With so many people giving it away I said no thank you. 3 years or so later his insurance company found out the tank was still down there full of fuel and were going to drop him unless he removed it. By then the fuel was questionable and he had to pay a company to remove and dispose of it. I think it was over a grand. Now I keep the pump on a 55 gallon drum. Several places sell ORD/HHO. I can't imagine using 5 gallon cans to fill a tractor.

In California it would be a good idea to make a concrete tub the tank sits inside of. To catch any leaks. Not sure what the EPA says about leaking fuel into the ground water. Here it is big fines. A gas station with a history of a leaking tank costs more to clean up then the property is worth unless it is in a good sized town.
    When a station is sold the tanks are pulled, regardless of age. The soil is tested to prove all contamination is gone then new vacuum encased tanks get installed with.
    Bill D

I'm thinking about getting a 50 gallon one with a crank aluminum pump for non-ethanol gas. I burn about ten gallons a week during grass cutting season, if I'm not cutting for anywhere else. I'm thinking I'd rather spin a crank handle than worry about sparks around gasoline. 5 gallon jugs have already gotten aggravating for a mower that holds 15 gallons.

The mower I needed was not available with a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a 50 gallon one with a crank aluminum pump for non-ethanol gas. I burn about ten gallons a week during grass cutting season, if I'm not cutting for anywhere else. I'm thinking I'd rather spin a crank handle than worry about sparks around gasoline. 5 gallon jugs have already gotten aggravating for a mower that holds 15 gallons.

Those hand cranks actually work pretty well. Certainly easier than muscling cans all summer.

I have a 55 gal drum with a hand-operated pimp I used to use for diesel. I prefer a lever pump to a crank: in my experience the force of pulling down is easier than cranking.

I quit using the drum since I never added a means to quickly tie it down and lift it off the truck with the tractor - I rigged straps each time. 55 gallons didn’t last long so I quit using it when I got the 100 gal tank. (That tank is easy to tie and lift) Unfortunately my “temporary” solution of hauling in cans was extended when I started rebuilding an old electric pump instead of just buying a new one!

When we moved to this place I mowed an area by the house I designated as “yard” with a riding mower. Then I bought a 42” gas zero turn - could mow in 1/4th the time. Then I got a 60” diesel zero turn and cut that time by more than half (and used alot less fuel). These days I more about 3-4 acres unless I mow the pastures, then it’s more like 8 to 12 acres. I use 2 diesel zero turns, one reserved for rough areas, more like bush hogging.

The only reason I haven't gotten one is trying to decide between push and pull (we had one of those when I was growing up), and a crank.

Blog Entries
    Fuel tanks are a very hot commodity right now. Our neighbor just brought in a Semi load.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-02-2022 at 8:12 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think this is the exact same model we had in the 1950's. I remember it being really hard to operate, but I was little then. 25 oz. per stroke sounds pretty good. Better than 100 cranks per 10 gallons.

https://www.fillrite.com/piston-hand...included-fr152

Blog Entries
    Same here. I need to get another one for gas.

I don't have a concrete pad for it though. I built a pallet out of 4x treated lumber with chains that go under the whole thing so I can pick it up with anything that has a chain hook. I just set it where it will be needed the most.

Just by dumb luck, I filled mine up before off road diesel went sky high along with other fuels. I filled up everything, and decided to go fill the tank back up while I had it in the truck.

My pump is 12v, so I can use it away from electricity. I have an SAE plug on the battery of anything that burns diesel, so I don't have to fiddle with alligator clips.

It's 23 years old, and even though it's spent most of its life under a shed, the outside is getting a little rusty. sorry about upside down picture.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 6.24.58 PM.jpeg Right side up. It suits Green. : ) A 2030? it looks like dads.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-02-2022 at 8:15 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice