Thread: Trying to figure out the scam...

Trying to figure out the scam...

For the last year or so I've been getting about 1 call a week from different numbers/callers asking if I would like to sell the property at XYZ street. Well, I don't own that property so I figured that somehow my phone number got mis-associated in someones DB. Annoying but I can't figure out how to put an end to those calls. Now in the past few weeks, I've been getting calls about every other day regarding 2 different properties that I don't own. Not liking where this is trending...

So this feels more like sone scam attempt now but I can't figure out what the scam might be.

Anyone else getting these calls or know what the angle is?
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 09-02-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

My wife keeps getting calls (well, voicemails) about selling her condo at xyz address in some other state. She has never owned any condo. I also am sure it's a scam of some sort, but no idea how it works or what the aim is.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    The scam is likely if you were to say ok, then they say, “I just need your bank information to make the deposit, and your social security number, date of birth, and all the other info they would need to access your account and drain it of all your money.

Blog Entries
    Yep

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tell them you have many interested parties and that a $5000 deposit will be needed

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Tell them you have many interested parties and that a $5000 deposit will be needed
    Sure, that is fine. Just give me your bank account and routing number . . . and just so my bank can verify, "just" the last four #'s of your soc sec . . .(as any decent hacker can easily get the first five) . .

George, i get your point, but i would recommend NOT to engage them at all. JMHO, YMMV

Agreed, I was just joking. There is a guy that keeps coming up in my youtube feed who scams scammers, it is nice to see. But its outside my expertise

I think the guy you are referring to is James Veitch, he's hilarious.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiLS7U7YIdc

May not be a scam, just desperate real estate agents taking any scrap of info they can find and trying to generate properties to list. Maybe they're just looking at property ownership on county maps, and calling everyone around there, in case someone nearby owns it or knows who does. I heard on the radio last month that there were more licensed agents in the US than there were properties available for sale. I've gotten mail, email, and phone calls about properties we no longer own, and blind phone calls where all they knew was our phone number. One reason we dropped the landline. The number of "we buy houses" ads in the newspaper, on local TV, and homemade signs on street corners is phenomenal.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I would be interested in doing this but I was lucky enough to win the Nigerian LOTO and now that I gave them my back account number for depositing the money I shouldn't need to work another day in my life. It amazes me all the new ways people come up with to scam money.