Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey vs clearvue

Harvey vs clearvue

I ordered a Harvey G700

Sitting on my garage floor is my prior clearvue. In the old shop I had that venting outside and the new shop does not have as much power, space, nor can I vent to the outside

So the clearvue is for sale

But then I thought… there isn’t that much published on side by side users. So maybe when I hook this up I will spend a day and run them side by side and evaluate performance.

Useful to anyone?

I don’t have an anemometer. Nor do I have a particle meter. But a long time ago was pretty technically inclined and do know how to run experiments.

Having said that I am not going to spend weeks running calcs and designing experiments.

But it would have helped me to hear of side by side experiences, so thought maybe someone else could benefit as well. Useful? Anything in particular to evaluate?

I'd love to have this comparison. Sooner or later I'll be upgrading my dust collector, and both the Harvey and the Clearvue will be contenders.

Without the proper instruments, it will be difficult. Even with the proper instruments, it takes effort to get meaningful numbers. I think that there are pretty good performance curves for both unless your ClearVue is an older one.

Hi Carl, i have all of the test equipment you need, (digital manometer, digital hotwire anemometer, amprobe, DMM, etc) PM me if you want to do this and I'll lend a hand or loan you what you need.

John
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 11-15-2021 at 7:11 PM.

Hey John long time. Good to see you still around

Stay tuned on this project, it may come together soon (or not. Dust collection threads drive me nuts. But I have my own curiosities and willing to share with those interested)

Particle meter? This would be a key measure.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 11-16-2021 at 7:51 AM.

I'd love to see a side by side comparison. Don't get me wrong here, I'm an engineer and run many design experiments for a living, I love to run experiments with real statistical analysis. Even with all the data generated here I still haven't read a designed experiment with proper statistical analysis. But having said that I do appreciate everyones efforts and the data is useful.
    However I think rather that sudo experiments and data gathering I'd be in favor of just running some side by side tests and tell us which one you like better. Some quick opinion on which one cleans up the table saw, sander, etc. better. Some air testing would be interesting but not extremely useful for me. I could likely find lab data on that already. And any data gathered in your shop likely wouldn't be transferable to my shop any more than lab data. But, I'm all for any testing and data gathering you wish to perform and will find it very interesting.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    The comparison would certainly be interesting. But about the only set of data that would be useful to other users would be a set of fan curves for both units. Do they already exist? With that, one can calculate what airflow will be with one's own duct setup. Noise level specs are nice to have as well.

When I was shopping for a DC, Oneida was the only manufacturer that had a real set of fan curves. Clearview didn't at the time, which cost them a sale to Oneida.

Bearing in mind that I am no expert on dust collection. Just have been in a million shops and seen their setups. To my mind, comparing the Harvey to a cyclone (design, not specific brand) is apples to oranges. I know two customers with Harveys. Both bought them because of the form factor. One guy sent it back because it apparently could not keep up with his planer. Despite the mfr. claiming that it ought to be able to. I believe his planer has a straight-knife cutterhead. The other customer has a spiral cutterhead on his planer and loves the Harvey, last I heard. So, possibly the Harvey struggles with the longer shavings off a traditional cutterhead but not the tiny chips off a spiral head? I don't know. Cyclones will digest anything but are loud and bulky. They are so different in design and there are so many variables that have nothing to do with the collector, itself, that I think it would be hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Will you trade off more frequent maintenance and cost for the form factor of the Harvey? Or can do you have the room and can you deal with the noise from a cyclone? Is there a right answer?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, I agree that there will be some circumstances that the unique design of the Harvey might not be the best choice. Your point about a big thicknesser (or jointer) with straight knives vs one with spiral/helical is a good one. I've managed to clog a big cyclone with that stuff, although that was when the cyclone itself was marginal in size. (It was upgraded to larger) The Harvey likely will work great for many folks, however, that have more average needs. I'm on the fence about what to consider for the new shop once it's built.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, if I were setting up a home shop and had the money, I would probably go for a Harvey. But would also understand there's probably a tradeoff in efficiency for form factor/sound level. I wonder if those who are unhappy with theirs thought it would be the silver bullet when they bought it?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Jim, if I were setting up a home shop and had the money, I would probably go for a Harvey. But would also understand there's probably a tradeoff in efficiency for form factor/sound level. I wonder if those who are unhappy with theirs thought it would be the silver bullet when they bought it?

Erik
    I think your question is valid...sometimes the details are not considered hard enough for this kind of thing. I mentioned in another thread that I'd consider using the Harvey differently than a traditional cyclone. The latter would most certainly be in a sound reduced closet away from the main work area and use longer and larger duct work out to where the machines live. With the Harvey, I'd seriously consider putting it in the middle of the machinery to keep the duct length low...doable because of the greatly reduced sound levels that the Harvey provides. That would reduce the impact of what is essentially lower air flow compared to a big cyclone, lower duct work cost and potentially lower shop build costs if the closet can be eliminated. (Not convince the latter would happen simply because I have a big, noisy compressor that I like to be "out of sight")
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No photo to share by my customer who loves his, it's maybe 3' from the machine, under a work bench. I'm certain that contributes to its efficiency. I seem to recall him telling me that he rarely has to dial it up to WOT.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Hey John long time. Good to see you still around

Stay tuned on this project, it may come together soon (or not. Dust collection threads drive me nuts. But I have my own curiosities and willing to share with those interested)

No particle meter, but i do have a sound meter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Try this guy:
    https://www.banggood.com/PM1_0-PM2_5...r_warehouse=CN

It costs about $42 & works very well. You do need to provide your own USB power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Try this guy:
    https://www.banggood.com/PM1_0-PM2_5...r_warehouse=CN

It costs about $42 & works very well. You do need to provide your own USB power supply.
    are you using this one? defintely has a good price point to try it out.