Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bauerle planer

Nice planer Darcey, but what I would like to know is if anyone really knows how to properly pronounce the name?
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Yes mark,

I say what I say and generally mean it. I do however understand how it comes off online and trust those with half a brain will read between the lines and know there’s is plenty I am not saying and that if I did maybe I wouldn’t seem like a such a jaded A-hole.

In my daily life I’m the first guy to say “thank god for the wealthy” as without them I’d be up poo poo creek without a paddle digging ditches as apposed to building stuff that although I’m far from enamored by I can feel ok about. There was a time when my skill did not align with desires and I was pretty much stuck doing the equivalent of digging ditches.

So you know thank god for this new generation and let’s just hope that at least a few of them continues to appreciate quality and hand made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Look on the bright side Patrick, maybe that little kid will hire some old fart like you to make furniture for one of his mansions.

It's an absurd world!

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Nice planer Darcey, but what I would like to know is if anyone really knows how to properly pronounce the name?
    I believe its Boy-air-ley.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Also,

Good long from one end of the earth today regarding this T23 I want to purchase I stumbled upon the exact machine I’m looking to purchase but at a auction I know know to be the auction the seller purchased it at.

I spited two things speaking of euro equipment.

One being the link below. Man what I would do to have purchased this little gem. Then a Martin T75 same vintage as mine but with a much bigger cast table. Wrecks my head I never see this stuff. Guess I best start keeping a pile o cash in the bank get myself a trailer for the new van and start stalking out auctions.

https://industrialbid.com/m/lot-deta...current_page=0
    The Bauerle SMF-2 is the finest shaper I have seen. I have one that I will eventually get around to rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Good on the child labour there Darcy. Kathy Lee would be proud im kidding Nice you share your work with your kids they understand you that much more of how hard their father works

Ive had helpers from time to time. The last one would say well lf i come over what would I be doing? I finally said we'll have a few beers, smoke a doob and play video games. One day a friend brought a friend and said he likes to keep busy if you ever need help. He was nearly 70. He used to call and ask if there was anything I needed done. He helped with lawn cutting and outside stuff and still always called and asked which was great. He wanted to keep moving as being retired he realized the value of not sitting in a lump. He would come over for 15 minutes to help me move a machine even. Sadly he went on holidays to play golf. (who plays golf or spoils a vacation with that ) He didnt feel well went to the bathroom and died instantly. Pretty sad. He was one of the nicest people you would meet.

In 130 plus auctions ive seen Baeurle stuff once in only one shop, an italian shop with maybe 50 employees and around for 50-80 years. It had sheets attached with maintenance records which spoke highly of their history there.

The gov thing its likely they ask and are told what the best is and since its our coin they go for the best,. likely one of the few things they actually do right.

Attachment 422974
    I have personally seen 7 of their machines and have owned 4 of those 7. I would almost kill for one of their bandsaws.

https://youtu.be/7R9sta1yg18

I told my kids the internet would be pissed because they didn't have helmets, face masks, and noise cancelling head phones on, but they said screw the internet. Lol.

This was a one take video, with me forgetting to engage the gearbox the first time. Lol.

They were super excited to be a part of it.

I could stand to do a little more adjusting, but its planing pretty nice.

Wtf Darcy

That dog should have ever and ear protection..

What are you thinking jezus..

Wtf Darcy

That dog should have ever and ear protection..

What are you thinking jezus..
    The dog is lucky she has survived this long sometimes. She is only a year old, loves everyone to death, but has no spacial concept. Lol

Interesting that the German machine is similar to English machines in using SA bearings. My experience ( way less than yours ) is that US machines had or believed they had better machining tolerances and used deep groove bearings until the distance between bearings got over 30" while the English machines were generally SA at least on one end. Porter jointers didn't use a SA until the 36" size.

I read your thread over at Practical Machinist about the feed clutch. Most of it was over my head but seems like a complicated way to get two speeds. I know my English machines favor complexity over simplicity. Hope you get the brake thing sorted out so the neutral engages. Is that the same on the HCH and can you use it for a pattern to replicate on the planer? Dave

Darcy I just want to make clear I was joking about the dog. I was playing off your comment about your kids.

I spent the last couple years teaching my now 15 year old female cousin to use machines to a extent. I had her safely using a chop saw. Made a few cuts on the slider after everything was properly secured and would feed or catch on the planer and wide belt. No big deal as she should been able to do that all on her own after proper instruction but she is not my kid to take chances with so..

It’s amazing how much kids love this stuff.

Had what I consider to have been or is becoming a internet friend contact me via email thinking I was serious about the dog.

Couldn’t get my pup,in the shop to save his life. He is scared crap of loud noises.

secured
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    The dog is lucky she has survived this long sometimes. She is only a year old, loves everyone to death, but has no spacial concept. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Interesting that the German machine is similar to English machines in using SA bearings. My experience ( way less than yours ) is that US machines had or believed they had better machining tolerances and used deep groove bearings until the distance between bearings got over 30" while the English machines were generally SA at least on one end. Porter jointers didn't use a SA until the 36" size.

I read your thread over at Practical Machinist about the feed clutch. Most of it was over my head but seems like a complicated way to get two speeds. I know my English machines favor complexity over simplicity. Hope you get the brake thing sorted out so the neutral engages. Is that the same on the HCH and can you use it for a pattern to replicate on the planer? Dave
    The HCH is driven by a motor with what I believe to be some sort of VS mechanism in the gearbox. I actually stuck a light and my phone in there and figured out the gearbox manufacturer. It was Stober, I called them. US headquarters is in KY. I confirmed they were pretty sure they made all the gearboxes for bauerle, but after that good luck. I did find a guy with that part intact. I am going to leave it up to my customer, what we do. Probably last longer with the right part.

Outside chance Bauerle may have the part, but all of germany has been closed for 3 weeks. Grrrrr

Darcy I just want to make clear I was joking about the dog. I was playing off your comment about your kids.

I spent the last couple years teaching my now 15 year old female cousin to use machines to a extent. I had her safely using a chop saw. Made a few cuts on the slider after everything was properly secured and would feed or catch on the planer and wide belt. No big deal as she should been able to do that all on her own after proper instruction but she is not my kid to take chances with so..

It’s amazing how much kids love this stuff.

Had what I consider to have been or is becoming a internet friend contact me via email thinking I was serious about the dog.

Couldn’t get my pup,in the shop to save his life. He is scared crap of loud noises.

secured
    Olive goes with me everywhere. She is super sweet, but she loves to come get in your face or lean on you whenever you are trying to do something important. My wife does the same thing, she's actually doing it right now. Lol.

I have a 15 year old cousin that’s enamored by me “no idea why” she does the same thing to me. It’s annoying as hell.

I can only take it for so long.

I like my space, people and dogs must respect this truth.

I do love dogs more than people though bar none..

You can always count on a dog, people not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Olive goes with me everywhere. She is super sweet, but she loves to come get in your face or lean on you whenever you are trying to do something important. My wife does the same thing, she's actually doing it right now. Lol.

I wonder if the change to the feed system was due to eliminating a problem or cost cutting. The HCH is about 10 years newer. My experience is that about every ten years, manufacturers figure out ways to make the machine a little cheaper. Sometimes it turns out better, sometimes adjustment gets harder to make and machines need more of them. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I wonder if the change to the feed system was due to eliminating a problem or cost cutting. The HCH is about 10 years newer. My experience is that about every ten years, manufacturers figure out ways to make the machine a little cheaper. Sometimes it turns out better, sometimes adjustment gets harder to make and machines need more of them. Dave
    Its 25 years newer. This planer was built in 1960.