Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Recommendations?

The Mac is good if someone just starting with their first computer and doesn't have a lot of programs they need to transfer over. The main issue is the price. A 17" Mac laptop starts at $2,500. It is very well equipped and would last the average user for many years. If you already have a Windows PC and plan to move programs over to a new computer it is easier to stick with Windows.

I have never owned another brand computer other than Gateway (Now Acer I think) Two desk tops and one laptop (I am on right now) Have not had any problems outside what I would consider normal computer stuff. First desktop purchased in 1997. lasted till 2004 before running too slow to do anything online. Got another Gateway desktop and still use it today. Laptop was purchased around 2007 or 08.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Steve,

I can't give you any advice except to tell you that last year I bought an iMac. I recently got an iPad 3 and have had an iPhone for a couple of years. The next laptop we buy will be a Mac machine, the Acer laptops we purchased a couple of years ago aren't holding up well. In fact most of the more recent Windows machines that I am exposed to these days are not holding up well.

I still run a Windows XP machine in my shop, my CNC Router and Laser Engraver both ship with windows drivers and they use Windows software almost exclusively. I can run a duel boot Windows / Apple on an iMac but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. No doubt it will be the way I will go in the future.

I got a Toshiba Satellite and have never had an issue. I got a 17" screen; I wanted a larger screen for work and I use it to get all the soccer feeds from back in England. Works great for me.

5. Steve

It may also be worth bearing in mind the set up at you sister in law's. My Mum's 18 month old Toshiba and my wife's 6 month old Sony both have HDMI outputs which allows us to connect them directly to our TV making laptop screen size irrelevant. The Mac book requires a DVI to HDMI cable and seperate audio lead but also works well. Not to get into the Mac v Wiindows debate here but what ever you look at find out how much to max out the memory, that is always the most effective upgrade and will give the laptop more 'headroom'

Regards

I'm really happy with my HP 15". They also make a 17" model. Lots of feature packages to choose from, including processors. I do like the screen on the Acer units. Seem to be much brighter/clearer. My HP has an almost matt type screen texture which is supposed to help with glare. I agree with going to look at some before you make your decision. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    My take on this is that computers are getting to be more like a commodity. Like say oranges or apples(the fruit not the computer). Brand is sort of irrelevant. I say just go to wal-mart find one that has the features and price you are looking for, and buy it. Don't loose any sleep over it. Any new computer you can find on the shelf will provide you with many years of good service. They are ALL good.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not all of the laptops on the market will really last all that long as far as CPU power goes. The really low end laptops will have the cheap AMD processors. The cheap AMD processors barely benchmark any faster than the Pentium 4 processor in my 2006 desktop! The Core i5 processor in my new laptop benchmarks about five times faster than the cheap AMD processors. The average computer user will probably be fine with a Core i3 processor. I got an i5 so my computer would last a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The Mac is good if someone just starting with their first computer and doesn't have a lot of programs they need to transfer over. The main issue is the price. A 17" Mac laptop starts at $2,500. It is very well equipped and would last the average user for many years. If you already have a Windows PC and plan to move programs over to a new computer it is easier to stick with Windows.
    With a $2500 entry price, I wouldn't even give Mac a second thought. One could simply buy a $500 Windows machine every 5 years and have 25 years worth of tech for the same money. I don't see anyone hanging on to the Mac long enough to justify the cost.

They all have one thing in common anyways. They're built by and or supplied components from the lowest bidder. Add in RoHS, and it's even worse for the expected longevity of electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I believe many of the newer machines from HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc., are made by a common manufacturer (I'm thinking Foxconn, Acer, or Asus). Used to be, machines were designed here in the states (or IBM Japan, where the ThinkPads were designed, I believe), and then manufactured in China, etc. There were substantial differences from one brand, to another.

Now I think what is going on is Foxconn, Acer, and Asus are developing designs and shopping them to major manufacturers. So it isn't unusual for the same basic design to be marketing under multiple brands.

Also, I've seen an increase in the # of machines with hard drives that are not easily removed. Dell and some others have designs now where the hard drive is screwed to the motherboard. Seeing as the hard drive is about the most likely part to fail, this is unacceptable. So whatever you buy, I'd make sure you can easily get to the hard drive.
    The EeePC's are sort of like that. The H.D. isn't screwed to the motherboard but required major surgery to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    With a $2500 entry price, I wouldn't even give Mac a second thought. One could simply buy a $500 Windows machine every 5 years and have 25 years worth of tech for the same money. I don't see anyone hanging on to the Mac long enough to justify the cost.
    I wasn't recommending anyone pay $2500 for a Mac. I was pointing out how ridiculously expensive they are. I use Windows PCs and I do not have a Mac.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post

They all have one thing in common anyways to . They're built by and or supplied components from the lowest bidder. Add in RoHS, and it's even worse for the expected longevity of electronics.
    $2500 sounds like a lot, but the comparable Dell machine, the M6600 starts at $2500 also and has options up into the$7000 range. You can't compare prices on machines with completely different specs. In the past year I've purchased a Dell laptop and a Mac airbook and like them both. There are gloatable deals at the Dell outlet store, but it takes some time to compare the bewildering number of models.

Blog Entries

Solid state drive

Out of about 10 laptops I've owned most of the problems I've had have been with drive failures. If you want a long lived notebook consider getting a solid state drive. You won't get as much space but should get plenty enough for everything but storing videos. They help the performance and decrease the wait while booting a lot!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Brian - the processor is what I am most concerned with and for the same reasons you listed... so the unit can last a little longer.
    Larry - you bring up a valid point that most all computers on the market today are pretty good. Just having my wife try a few out - Walmart, Officemax, etc - will tell us a lot. As long as it has memory, a good processor and is comfortable for her to type/view... that's good enough for me.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to offer suggestions! Not sure when we will get the chance to head to town and look at computers but if/when we pick something up, I'll let everyone know.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You can spend as much as you want. I gave up buying expensive machines a while ago because the price never makes sense in a longer scheme.

5 years ago, I bought an HP DV7 format laptop (17"). They are hulky, but if you're not traveling on business a lot, it's no big deal. It cost me $600 with 4 gb of memory back then, and a dual core AMD processor. I think chasing high processor speed is a waste of money, everything is finite with computers, just my opinion. I could easily buy two laptops for what a lot of people pay for 1, and certainly at 5 years+ per PC, my second PC will be faster than a single "better at first" PC for years 5-10.

The HP we use is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but it still works fine, and the only problem I've had with it was something any woodworker could solve - the socket that the charger plugs into became a little loose, mostly because my very young daughter as soon as she learned to walk took to tugging at the power cord. I glued it a year ago, no problems since.

Apple is off their rocker on price (in my opinion - pretty much on everything they sell), and I am by no means a "poor" fellow. I just don't agree with throwing money at people unless they have a really convincing reason for it, and keeping a platform exclusive to jack up prices isn't a good reason to me. When the DV7 poops out, I will probably just get another one.
    I have a relative who also bought a DV7 at the same time I did, he's also still using his, except he uses it for work all day. Mine probably only gets 3 hours of use time a day, or maybe a little more between my wife and I. I'd consider that a lot of use, but we no longer watch TV. My mother also got the same computer at the same time. She managed to allow her dogs to extract keys from the keyboard permanently by leaving the computer on a chair that the dogs jumped on and ran across (my parents can't keep anything nice for long, it's sort of a natural skill they have).

All of us have had longevity issues with the power supply cord - I'd say they last about 12-18 months before the computer rejects them (HP branded or otherwise doesn't seem to make a difference), but they cost $7 each, so that's not really much of an issue.

In my view, 95% of very nice costs 1/2 to 1/3rd as much as 100% of very nice. I'll keep my money for other things.