Thread: Power for sander

Power for sander

I have a 100 amp panel, at present their is a double 20 amp breaker with 10 wire,with a 20 foot run.Can I change breaker to double 30 amp breaker and run into a disconnect, then run a 10 wire from disconnect to sander another 20 feet away? Motor on sander is 5hp 25.2 Fla. My dust collector is running on separate line. This will only be for sander.
    Last edited by Tim Elett; 11-22-2022 at 6:10 PM.

If I'm remembering correctly, the 14g 15A, 12g 20A and 10g 30A rules are based on <100' of wire. The only potential issue coming to mind is if you go to a 30A breaker, any outlet on that circuit needs to be a 30A outlet. NEC only allows a mismatch when you have multiple 15A outlets on a 20A circuit. Otherwise the outlet(s) have to be rated the same as the breaker.

Thanks,no other machines will be on the same line,but now the plug on this line is not what is required, I thought I would add disconnect to existing line,then run new # 10 to required outlet, this sounds like something I can handle, don't want to ruin my motor.

Sounds fine will you want neutral for 120 volt?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elett View Post
    I have a 100 amp panel, at present their is a double 20 amp breaker with 10 wire,with a 20 foot run.Can I change breaker to double 30 amp breaker and run into a disconnect, then run a 10 wire from disconnect to sander another 20 feet away? Motor on sander is 5hp 25.2 Fla. My dust collector is running on separate line. This will only be for sander.
    Is this a double pole breaker or is it a duplex breaker. A duplex breaker is a single slot breaker with two breakers in it. They feed off the same pole and provide you with two separate 120v circuits. Or is this a double pole circuit, which uses up two slots in the panel and will feed a 220v circuit with two hot legs. The double pole circuit has both of the 'circuit switches' tied together so you shut both legs. What else is running on this existing 20 amp breaker? Is the 10 gauge wire 10/2 or 10/3 (10/2 is black/white/bare ground and 10/3 is black/red/white/bare ground).

So a few issues here.
    1) National Electric Code says a circuit should not exceed 80% FLA, which is 24 amps. 25.2 amps is over the 80% so technically should be run on a 35amp circuit if one is available for your circuit panel and run on 8 gauge wire. Otherwise you need to go to a 40 amp circuit, also ok to run on 8 gauge wire.
    2) Pending if you have a double pole or duplex existing breaker on the pre-existing circuit and what it's wired to already, you may already have an existing issue, specifically if you have a duplex circuit running a 220v circuit.

Best option, first find out if #2 is an already existing problem and correct it. Second, get a 35 or 40 amp double pole circuit and run an 8 gauge dedicated circuit to your sander.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

There is a double pole breaker and three wires, red blue and white in if I rember,Thanks.

There is a double pole breaker and three wires, red blue and white in if I rember,Thanks.
    This is solid core wire.

red, black, white and a ground makes more sense. If you have blue, you have 10/4 wire, which is 5 wire. Black, Red, Blue, White and the bare copper ground. However given your machine is going to pull 25.2 amps, you shouldn't run this machine on a 30 amp circuit anyway, so you will need to replace with 8 gauge wire and 35 or 40 amp breaker. A 50 foot roll of 8/2, assuming your machine is two hot legs and ground is like $120. A fire cost a heck of a lot more and getting burned, zapped or dead is not even worth any cost. BTW, of course the wire is solid, you don't use stranded wire for circuit runs. You should be running NM(romex), UF (for under ground or wet locations), THHN(if you run in conduit). But I really think you need to get an electrician over there to wire this correctly. Playing with electric isn't ideal if you are not sure what your are doing.

Thanks a million JUSTIN, I have someone in mind, maybe a two part visit,one to tell me what I need second to install breaker and check work,I can run recommended wire and install the new plug.
    This is in the back of a 40 foot pole barn,saving him the labor time.
    Again Thanks!,,,,

Thanks a million JUSTIN, I have someone in mind, maybe a two part visit,one to tell me what I need second to install breaker and check work,I can run recommended wire and install the new plug.
    This is in the back of a 40 foot pole barn,saving him the labor time.
    Again Thanks!,,,,
    A two part visit might cost you more than just a 1 part full job visit honestly. At least around here, most service people charge for travel and also just for a service call. You might not save any money and also a lot of service people end up charging more to deal with other peoples work.

To be code compliant, wire for a 5 HP 1Ø motor must be sized off the full load current listed in table 430.248 which is 28A, @ 230V, 125% of that is 35A, so if NM cable is used 8 AWG is minimum, or if conduit or tubing is used 10 AWG THHN/THWN can be used since in this application it is allowed to be used at it's 35A rating, please note that this not allowed for normal branch circuits, though.

Sorry for the failure to make things clear, their is a slot open for a 30amp breaker ,and sander is 25 feet away .Not going to use the disconnect, straight run from breaker to plug.

Sorry for the failure to make things clear, their is a slot open for a 30amp breaker ,and sander is 25 feet away .Not going to use the disconnect, straight run from breaker to plug.
    Open slots = two pole circuit for 220 will take up two slots. I am glad you are just doing the strait run. Much safer and the disconnect isn't required if you just want to shut the circuit, flip the circuit breaker switch off.

Thanks, we powered it up,BAD vibration from motor, I have not been around a sander like this so it didn't occur to me that it was noisy, while sanding a board. I will need to have the motor checked out. LOL.