Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I sent this morticing jig to Paul Sellers ...

I sent this morticing jig to Paul Sellers ...

... who promptly deleted it from his blog.

My only interest was to offer him and his readers a more efficient version. I guess he wants to sell his version, which consist of several morticing guides to do one purpose.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...cingGuide.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

I love this idea Derek, thank you for writing about it and sharing. Did you post a link in a comment on his blog which he then deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    ... who promptly deleted it from his blog.

My only interest was to offer him and his readers a more efficient version. I guess he wants to sell his version, which consist of several morticing guides to do one purpose.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...cingGuide.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Great guide Derek.

In my book, simpler is almost always better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice little jig Derek. For myself I have to work along the mortise so I can use the chisel for vertical alignment. I just can’t wrap my head around working across. Your jig may work well for a saw guide to cut tenons also.
    Jim

Oh no, you gave me food for thought! I have been trying to figure out a method of a side clamp similar to that for steadying my chisels for hand cutting mortices and for paring down sides of things. Have seen all sorts for 45 degree miter cuts and 90 degree cuts, but not one for a short side parallel cut. Excellent! I was thinking of through bolts that would mechanically lock it into a perfectly parallel set up...... This is close.

robo hippy

Here is a different approach to marking out mortises.
    You could make a smaller scaled one for furniture sized lumber.
    It's not complicated, no moving parts
    https://timberframehq.com/layout/

Thank you Derek, bookmarked to make later. And thank you for all of the stuff on your site, there is a wealth of valuable information there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schussheim View Post
    I love this idea Derek, thank you for writing about it and sharing. Did you post a link in a comment on his blog which he then deleted?
    Peter, the blog post by Paul included a few jigs he had built, the mortice ones included here (he had several fixed jigs for different thickness stretchers). Because of this, thinking that he was offering them to his readers, I posted my version (via a link to the website page, as here) for him to use as he wished. All posts are vetted by Paul before release. I went back the next day to find my post was removed. A little later I discovered that he was making jigs for sale. I simply cannot fathom someone spending money on a jig which consists of two pieces of wood glued or screwed together.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-23-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Nice little jig Derek. For myself I have to work along the mortise so I can use the chisel for vertical alignment. I just can’t wrap my head around working across. Your jig may work well for a saw guide to cut tenons also.
    Jim
    Jim, the idea for this jig actually came from one I designed for cutting tenons …

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...enonGuide.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Both jigs look amazing! Thank you for posting, I'll have to try them out!

11. Really nice jigs!
    I am currently building a vise a saw set designed for cutting tenon shoulders, I saw it on the last issue of an italian woodworkingmagazine. You can see the tool at the minute 8:30 of this video:

Apparently it was used by chairmakers, but I found very little about: only an old article on Popular Woodworking magazine and a couple of blog posts. You can also see the tool used in a video date 1912 from Ecole Boulle in Paris, I will post it later since I cannot include 2 videos
    I thought it was worth sharing.

12. This is the original video from 1912, minute 5:32 you can see the vise and saw in action

Derek, I like the jig, and chopping over the bench seems essential. Now what I really want to know is, do you use the jig, or at your skill level, are you able to chop mortises square and trunjust as quickly without the jig?

Joe, I don't use these jigs. I just like solving problems, and sometimes I come across someone's solution, and see a better way.

The tenon sawing jig was a result of Lee Valley sending me a saw fence to test, and I realised it could be developed into something more. I created the jig for them, thinking that it would be a companion for their dovetail jig. They sat on it for about 3 years, before deciding it was not a goer. I then posted the design on my website for others to use. That was about 8 years ago.

The mortice jig was stimulated by Paul Seller's version. This was on his blog ....

It just seemed so excessive and lacking in ultimate imagination, so I came up with the adjustable version ...

I want to rebuild mine, with a slightly taller sliding fence. This would be even better to use to pare the sides of mortices, where the waste is removed with a drill. I would use that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Great work as usual Derek.

Me thinks Paul Sellers is too full of himself to accept an idea from another woodworker.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-24-2022 at 3:44 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)