Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weird question: dust and shavings control in neander shop

Dust and shaving in the house ?

Here's your new jewelry box/rocking chair/footstool etc.

That's how I survive the ire

Just don't turn her a rolling pin

Why do you have cars in your workshop??

Spousal & progeny training is in order. Part of who & what you are is making a temporary mess with wood. While you are doing that they need to stay the heck out of the garage. If they don't, there will be stuff tracked in. It's not the end of the world. That's what vacuums are for.

I have a similar problem in my 2-car garage shop. The only door is the big remote controlled garage door. If I leave it open for air or if I need to open it, I get the same problem as you. I don't have a solution, but in this heat I'd prefer to chase shavings as to keep the door closed.

I don't really have any helpful suggestions to add, I just wanted to say that I have a pile-o-shavings problem... Usually it continues to grow through the winter months until the leaves have composted in the bin out back enough to make room for the shavings.

pile-o-shavings.jpg

I have dedicated shoes that I wear in the shop and change before going back upstairs, and that seems to help, but wind gusts and kids tromping through is an entirely different ballgame.

My workshop is my spare bedroom, and I live alone. Not a problem here!!!! I keep a large cardboard box at one end of my bench and brush all of the shavings into it as needed. The shavings are then donated to friends and neighbors for hamster homes and bonfire starters.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    Why not institute a no-shoes policy for inside the house?

Pam
    I like that solution
    I implement that in all the houses I live in
    Carpe Lignum

No shoes on feet will track more sawdust and shavings than shod feet. We had a young guy in the Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop in the 70's. He'd come in with his shoes wet in the rain,take off his shoes,and drag a bunch of shavings upstairs into the break area. Generally he was just a big mess maker.

Can you keep a garbage can next to the bench,and just keep putting fresh shavings into it? I never did like to let my floor get too messy. I tend to clean up as I work,or cook food.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    No shoes on feet will track more sawdust and shavings than shod feet. We had a young guy in the Anthony Hay Cabinet Shop in the 70's. He'd come in with his shoes wet in the rain,take off his shoes,and drag a bunch of shavings upstairs into the break area. Generally he was just a big mess maker.

Can you keep a garbage can next to the bench,and just keep putting fresh shavings into it? I never did like to let my floor get too messy. I tend to clean up as I work,or cook food.
    The idea is that you go up to the door and take off shoes before going inside. I think you'd notice if you had shavings on your bare feet, probably slip on the floor. In the shop I tend to wear clogs so it's easy to shed shoes.

I also tend to clean up as I go along, knowing how much I'd hate losing an important piece in the mess.

Pam

Sorry if this disappoints some. I believe in electricity. It exists for a purpose.

I try and clean up as I go. The shop is too small and the work area too compact to restrict movement. It gets dangerous.

This is a fantastic combination!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Why do you have cars in your workshop??
    Exactly! the garage was never mean to hold cars the architect had a wood shop in mind when he added the garage to the house. Now how to I convince the LOML
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I figure you'd have a no shoes policy for inside the shop too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    Why not institute a no-shoes policy for inside the house?

Pam
    It's sufficiently stout..

Actually,the young guy would take off his shoes,and the shavings would stick to his 18th.C. long stockings. I was glad when he left.

Get a wall-mount fan, mount it near the high-traffic areas and direct it to keep the sea of shavings at bay and out of the way of little feet.

And what type of doormat do you have outside the door? The tall, grassy ones work pretty well for us (although not sure they're tested as hard with wood shavings adhered by velcro).
    If you're looking forward to a particularly satisfying shop session, maybe get a sticky mat (used a lot as heading in to commercial clean room gowning areas), and put that down just inside the door.

(we also don't wear shoes inside the house)

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 06-09-2011 at 10:12 AM.

we have a semi no-shoes policy in the house (we have a separate indoor and outdoor shoes). I actually keep a big trash can at the tail end of the bench to catch shavings and try to cleanup saw dust as soon as possible with my shopvac. But texas in spring and early summer is very windy and it's a constant struggle. I will typically do a cleanup at the end of each day I get to work in the shop.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.