Thread: Replacing a MacBook Pro with Newer

Replacing a MacBook Pro with Newer

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro which I also run Windows 7 on that I would like to replace, NO not with new but a 2017-2020 model and It needs to be 15 inch, 16 Gb memory, 512 Gb SSD drive. Any suggestions for what to avoid?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Go newer if you can...2019-2020 Intel based. Better performance and longer "OS life" left. Check Apple.com for refurbs. OWC also sells reconditioned Macs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Pro is 2017. I would not want another if they still have the same troublesome butterfly keyboard (mine was replaced once under warranty). I have read multiple bad reviews of the newest Pro as well. Some reviewers recommending waiting for the new Airbook instead.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My Pro is 2017. I would not want another if they still have the same troublesome butterfly keyboard (mine was replaced once under warranty). I have read multiple bad reviews of the newest Pro as well. Some reviewers recommending waiting for the new Airbook instead.
    Another reason I suggested the 2019-2020. I believe the keyboard was updated. I have a 2019, although I rarely use the on-board keyboard. It's not been a problem when I have used it, however.
    --

I am looking on OWC at a 15 inch, Mid 2019 with 16 Gb and 512 SSD for $999 plus tax to me of course.

That's similar to mine, Bill. I've been very pleased with it...and paid a bit more for it new, too.
    --

Why not one of the new M1 models?

We replaced my wife's 2014 MB Air with at new model ($100 off at Costco) and are happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Why not one of the new M1 models?.
    OP stated that Windows compatibility was required. That's not a happening thing on M1 or M2, other than fudging with the ARM version of Windows which is not officially supported. So they need an Intel based Mac for the compatibility they state.
    --

I ended up purchasing a like new used 2019 as above from a graduated Engineer up at our college, very good spec's, battery and memory. Saved $1500 over new price. Its in beautiful condition as he had a protective case on the whole time. Still has 30 plus days of Apple Care left! Thanks for your help Jim and others.

That sounds like a good outcome, Bill. As much as I liked my older Macs, the 2019 has been a real cut above in every way.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    OP stated that Windows compatibility was required. That's not a happening thing on M1 or M2, other than fudging with the ARM version of Windows which is not officially supported. So they need an Intel based Mac for the compatibility they state.
    Well, I'll be darned. I didn't know you could run the two OS's on the Mac hardware.

Does it perform well? Or is it laggy?

Well, I'll be darned. I didn't know you could run the two OS's on the Mac hardware.

If you run Windows via "bootcamp", it's native Windows running on the Mac Intel hardware and MacOS is not running. If you run Windows in a virtual machine (as I do via Parallels) there is no noticeable "lag" because my machine is powerful enough to deal with it. BTW, you can also run Linux, etc., on Mac hardware, either dedicated or again, in a virtual machine. And several other things including Android emulation.
    --

I run on Parallels its just as fast as the Mac is and these are not cheap Dell or HP laptop for the retail I want it cheap crowd. I also use Lenovo's for the same reason, they just work.