Thread: Cyclone Filter Question

Cyclone Filter Question

I decided it was time to replace my cyclone filter. I had a Wynn 125154-005. The one I ordered from ACS was supposed to because equivalent. When I unboxed the new filter it had an opening on the bottom but none on the top. I called them to get more info but no one has called back yet.
    Now I’m wondering if the ACS is designed to pull air in from the outside and exhaust thru the center.
    Any ideas?
    92CE3506-C569-4544-A1AC-D9B1970E5CDB.jpg
    ACS
    E0E3A9DD-82F7-4173-9386-16D1CF11FDD1.jpg
    Wynn

If you turn the acs the other end up, does it look like the Wynn?

On a filter designed to move outside to inside, you can touch the filter pleats on the outside, and there is a metal grill inside, which stops the filter media from collapsing from the air pressure.

I’ve already installed the new filter so I can’t verify the inside construction but I’m 95% sure there’s mesh on the inside too. Since the ACS filter has mesh on the outside isn’t it safe to assume that air flow from the center to the outside is ok? The only visible difference between the two is that one end is closed on the ACS filter and not on the Wynn as seen on the pics.

If your DC blows air from inside to outside, and your filter has mesh on the outside, you’re good to go.

Don't you need a removable dust trap at one end?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Don't you need a removable dust trap at one end?
    i had one with my old filter. That’s why I was concerned about no opening on the bottom.

ACS returned my call. Turns out the filter I bought is designed for air flow from the outside to the center. To make matters worse there is a restocking fee on returns. The rep said that I would be ok using the filter as a center intake but to drill at least a 2" diameter hole in the bottom. The moral to the story is don't place an order on the weekend when you can't ask questions and verify specs.
    I did see a post here where a member built an enclosure for this type of filter but since this seems to be working as is I don't think I'll go to all that trouble.

I don’t understand the reason for the 2” hole.

Jason, I'm not sure either. The only explanation I can come up with is if my dust bin overflows this provides the overflow dust and exit path from the filter. Best I can do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I don’t understand the reason for the 2” hole.

The normal filters are open at the bottom so fines that make it to the filter can drop down into a collection bin for easy disposal. The hole is likely to insure that these fines do not build up inside the filter when the specific version being discussed is being used "backwards".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...