Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust collection barrel

The Laguna barrel I have, says it's 60 gallon. Does anyone have the Laguna MDC3560-0145 DC?
    Will a standard 55 gal drum work on one of those?

I'd also like to start using a bag inside, but anyone know how to prevent the bag from getting sucked up, into the cyclone?
    Laguna no longer supports this model DC, so I don't know where to find the "metal cage" they make to go inside a bag, in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post

I'd also like to start using a bag inside, but anyone know how to prevent the bag from getting sucked up, into the cyclone?
    A long as your seal is good around your drum, you shouldn't have any issue with a bag liner getting sucked up, just like the deposited debris, in the bin, doesn't get sucked back up as it separates in the cyclone.

In theory, Chris is right. But, I find that the bags are extremely prone to getting sucked up, in a way that debris is not.

I agree that first and foremost you need to make sure your drum is sealed well.

But you can mitigate a minor imperfection by punching a couple holes in the bag, once inserted, near the top of the drum. This will break any suction that that develops. You do it near the top only because doing it lower means dust will leak out onto your floor when you remove the bag.

The bag, by virtue of folding over the top of the drum, will impede your seal, so take care to smooth out creases. The thinner the bag, the the easier this is.

Get that leaf liner I mentioned earlier. It's not ridgid enough to completely stop an imperfect seal, but it definitely helps.

35 gal steel drum that came with my Oneida V-3000.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    The Laguna barrel I have, says it's 60 gallon. Does anyone have the Laguna MDC3560-0145 DC?
    Will a standard 55 gal drum work on one of those?

Laguna no longer supports this model DC, so I don't know where to find the "metal cage" they make to go inside a bag, in the barrel.
    No experience but I've heard of people getting a sheet of laminate, roll it up and put it in the bag. Laminate expands to hold the bag open. When it comes time to remove the bag first remove the laminate roll. I'd have thought laminate would be too stiff but again, I've never tried it just filed it away in the 'maybe I'll need this someday' folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    No experience but I've heard of people getting a sheet of laminate, roll it up and put it in the bag. Laminate expands to hold the bag open. When it comes time to remove the bag first remove the laminate roll. I'd have thought laminate would be too stiff but again, I've never tried it just filed it away in the 'maybe I'll need this someday' folder.
    This is a pretty simple fix for my plastic can imploding. I have rolled laminate like this and it will provide considerable stiffness, so thanks for the idea!

I just saw 2 Blue poly barrels along side the road with a free sign on them. If I needed one I would have stopped. They are just west of Medina Ohio on Smith road

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I just saw 2 Blue poly barrels along side the road with a free sign on them. If I needed one I would have stopped. They are just west of Medina Ohio on Smith road
    I am in Massachusetts. I will swing by and pick these up on my way home from work...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I am in Massachusetts. I will swing by and pick these up on my way home from work...
    I see you did just that

My Oneida Dust Cobra has a 3/8" hose from the drum to the fan inlet (higher vacuum than inside the drum due to the filter being between) which sucks the bag to the drum. Like an unvacuum bag.

Also there is a 1" hole in the lid. I plugged this with a rubber stopper. When the system is off I probe with a stick to see how full the drum is. I think they sell an electronic sensor for about $8,000. My stick and plug were slightly cheaper.

I have several 55 gallon steel drums that I found on CL. Metal and plastic drums are always available near me for $15-25, from a few different sellers. I would be surprised if you couldn't find some near you, as well.

I'm using a cut down 32 gallon heavy plastic drum that used to hold concentrated weed killer (I live in an ag area). Probably holds about 25 gallons now, cut down due to space limitations. Works fine. Randy

I use the barrel from a dead Craftsman shop vac. It's not as big as most but I like it that way. It uses less vertical space, it was free, and it's not too heavy for me to carry when it's full.