Thread: Mitutoyo Dial Indicators Recommenation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    but a tight fitting joint is more from experience doing it and getting used to the actual things that influence the end result . . . such as cutting to the knife line, sawing at the correct angle, using a bench hook or other jigs, etc
    Or maybe just gob a whole bunch more glue on and sand in a pile of sawdust while the glue is still wet().

Well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Or maybe just gob a whole bunch more glue on and sand in a pile of sawdust while the glue is still wet().

Well written.
    I would never put glue on my sawdust, its imported from Europe and made from only the finest timber.

A mushroom tip is nice for setting knives etc. Beware Mitutoyo makes nothing in China. All the Mitutoyos on ebay from China are fakes.
    Bill D.

Federal, fowler, intrepid, hellios and B+S made some nice meterology gear.

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p14.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-17-2022 at 4:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Beware Mitutoyo makes nothing in China. All the Mitutoyos on ebay from China are fakes.
    ^^^ KABOOM!! Mitutoyo Japan is trying to combat those scumbags in CHINA counterfeiting their products. If you are going to purchase Mitutoyo make sure you purchase from a reputable retailer. And I would AVOID high volume retailers because another scam is people purchase the genuine test indicator, then drop in the counterfeit and return it. Big volume retailers don't really inspect if someone is returning a fake.

Hey Derek…

When Igrew up in an automotive town the most revered skilled trades were the millwrights who would maintain and adjust the machines used in manufacture and assembly. That’s what we all have to try to be, on a small scale, when we have to maintain and adjust our little home furniture factories.

It takes some time to learn this stuff.

Get two dial indicators, and another stand. Noga makes a beautiful articulated stand that avoids the frustrations of Chinese magnetic base stands that can be pretty floppy. Etalon (Hexagon Metrology…sometimes labelled Tesa or Interapid) makes an even better one, but I don’t know if you can still get them.

You might want to get some feeler gauges if you don’t already have some.They can be handy for a quick assessment of many things that are supposed to be straight and colinear but often aren’t. Fences come to mind.

I will check my copy of Machine Tool Reconditioning…it has some woodworking machines tuning in the last chapter.

On edit: nope. Must have been some other old book I was thinking of.

Good luck

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 01-17-2022 at 5:48 PM.