Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drill press and table recommendations

Drill press and table recommendations

I am looking to get a good drill press. I don’t need all the fancy computer controlled speed stuff that the nova has. Rather I just want one that has an easy to adjust table that is accurate and easy to adjust to any degree, and has a decent stroke.

Any recommendations?

And I would still recommend the Nova. Even if the only electronics you use are the start/stop and speed control. It is a very worthy drillpress.
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    I decided to get a bench top Jet for our son when he was on the same quest.

I also have an Email from Grizzly this morning announcing continued discounts on machinery.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I've had the Jet JDP-17 for a number of years and am still happy with it. I really like the large woodworking-oriented table.

If you want to go that route, the Jet that David mentions (which I have owned for decades) or similar is pretty much the defacto standard for many folks. But I have to also agree with Chuck and if I were going to buy a DP "these days" the NOVA would be my choice because it makes so many things much easier. One should never discount the ability to be able to quickly and easily manipulate the spindle RPM to optimize for the size and type of drill tooling being used in the moment. It's a pain to do that with belt driven machines which is why I sadly have left mine on pretty much "slow" speed for the couple of decades I've owned it...

Build your own DP table regardless of your choice so it's optimized for the work you intend to do for hold-down, size, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Lee Valley table on my old 1150 for woodworking. One of the reasons was that I didn't want a bright red or blue one on the old drill press, but I would buy one again even without the plain color.

i have lately been making chairs and instruments. These require some precise drilling at compound angles. A drillpress auxiliary table is only as good as the tilt mechanism on the press itself.

I don't drill acrylic and metal much and when I do I don't mind a quick belt change, so the Nova Voyager is definitely overkill. I don't need a smart drill press. I need one that angles conveniently and reliably and accurately.

Now, if the table tilt angle were smart and programmable and automated, I'd pay premium for that.

+1 on the Jet JDP-17. It truly is well-tuned for woodworking. First one I ever saw that actually made the table for woodworkers vs. metal. Replaceable, easily leveled wooden insert, T-slots cast for a fence, 5" quill stroke. Even the silly laser guides are actually useful when dialed in correctly. Really love that machine.

jeff

Variable speed adjustment is the number one qualification for me. Changing belts is a pain and like Jim I found one low speed and change only when I have to. All DPs allow for changing table angles but getting them back to dead zero quickly and accurately has not been developed yet to my knowledge.

The most accurate way to set an angle is to use a sine table or an adjustable angle plate. I am not really sure how you would clamp it down once the angle is set. You could even make one bigger out of wood that would be good enough accuracy for wood working.
    i am not aware of angle angle table on a drill press that is accurate for angle settings. I do not think any even have a gear drive to move them. They are just simple push and pull to adjust.
    A Bridgeport mill and clones, have a head that tilts and nods to give compound angles. But limited quill stroke And not much room under the spindle.
    I really think you should buy a used quality dp and a decent adjustable angle plate. Buy a three phase DP and use a VFD for variable speed. AFAIK pretty much any factory three phase dp will be better quality then what you can buy today for under $750 or so
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-07-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought about an adjustable angle or milling plate. I will definitely look into the Jet. That looks like a perfectly sized machine for me.

bought a new General many years ago then more recent a Buffalo 18, 3 phase, with crank handle table. The general was many 100's and the Buffalo was under 75.00 used in very good shape. Never made an add on table but can see they make sense. Changing a belt doesnt bother me but will likely go into VFD land with an RPM meter.

The belt is Really easy to change on my oldest 1150. I also have one with the Reeves drive, and like the belt changer better, plus don't know that it's much slower changing speeds. It has a knurled handle you push, and twist easily and quickly to release and tighten belt tension.

I use a Wixey cube when needing a tilted table.

The JDP-17's table has a tapered pin holding the table at zero degrees. When it's replaced it feels very snug and solid, I like the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I thought about an adjustable angle or milling plate. I will definitely look into the Jet. That looks like a perfectly sized machine for me.
    I have one if you want to look before you buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...