Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the newer style fein turbos still quality tools?

Another quiet vac I'd never heard of. 64dB sound level, washable filter 1 micron filter. Possible downside 6.6 gallon tank.

Nilfisk https://www.industrialvacs.com/Aero_.../107406622.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What size hose is that 26 footer Jason?
    it’s 2.5 for 20 feet, then the smaller shop vac, 1.25” I believe for the last 6ft. That way I can use the army of extensions and attachments I’ve collected. If I use a tool that fits the festool hose I just switch out the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Another quiet vac I'd never heard of. 64dB sound level, washable filter 1 micron filter. Possible downside 6.6 gallon tank.

Nilfisk https://www.industrialvacs.com/Aero_.../107406622.htm
    I looked at that one, but 1 micron, not hepa. It’s the tiny dust that gets you.

Thanks Jason, I was curious because I recently hooked 30' of 1" (I think) hose that I have to a 6 HP Shop Vac. Just wanted to see if it would work.

It did, but not well, with fairly weak suction at the end. There must be a ton of friction loss in that small hose. I think I will see if I can round up enough 1 1/2 or 2 1/2" to see how that fares. I have a bunch of old hose around.

I have fought buying the hose reel and hose that Rockler has on sale all the time. Not cheap, but a problem solver.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I looked at that one, but 1 micron, not hepa. It’s the tiny dust that gets you.

This is really a bit of a red herring.

Strictly speaking it can be true. However , the reality of the risk to your health going with the 1micron filter instead of the HEPA is pretty much negligible.

The vacs exhaust is 10-12 feet away from you typically. The capture rate isn’t 100% for your tool. More dust is going to become airborne closer to your mouth and nose from the process itself that will never get filtered at all.

Guys get all in a lather over a HEPA filtered vac for little reason in my view. I’m not saying don’t get one, I am saying not to discount an otherwise fine vac just because it doesn’t have a HEPA filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Thanks Jason, I was curious because I recently hooked 30' of 1" (I think) hose that I have to a 6 HP Shop Vac. Just wanted to see if it would work.

It did, but not well, with fairly weak suction at the end. There must be a ton of friction loss in that small hose. I think I will see if I can round up enough 1 1/2 or 2 1/2" to see how that fares. I have a bunch of old hose around.

I have fought buying the hose reel and hose that Rockler has on sale all the time. Not cheap, but a problem solver.
    This is the 20 ft one I have. It has different fittings to make things fit. I use fernco fitting on the festool hose when I use that to fit in it.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...b_b_asin_title

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    This is really a bit of a red herring.

Strictly speaking it can be true. However , the reality of the risk to your health going with the 1micron filter instead of the HEPA is pretty much negligible.

The vacs exhaust is 10-12 feet away from you typically. The capture rate isn’t 100% for your tool. More dust is going to become airborne closer to your mouth and nose from the process itself that will never get filtered at all.

Guys get all in a lather over a HEPA filtered vac for little reason in my view. I’m not saying don’t get one, I am saying not to discount an otherwise fine vac just because it doesn’t have a HEPA filter.
    I’ll disagree with you here Dave. The less small dust being shot out the vac. The better. Being 10 feet away doesn’t matter, it hangs in the air for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Evans View Post
    I’ll disagree with you here Dave. The less small dust being shot out the vac. The better. Being 10 feet away doesn’t matter, it hangs in the air for hours.

What exactly are you disagreeing with ?

I didn't say Hepa wasn' better. What I did say is The dust generted by your process , whatever it is , is going to produce more dust particals of all sizes closer to your air intake that will not get captured by the vac to even get filtered at all. That dust is produced in far more volume and closer to you than any particles that would not get captured in an identical vac with a non Hepa filter. So, worrying about a minscule bit of xtra dust spewed out of a vac's secondary filter because it's not Hepa rated is a bit moot since you still have to deal with a lot more volume of dust closer to you anyway.

Sure, all things being equal the HEPA vac would be better. But they're not equal. My main point is one shouldn't dismiss a vac simply because it doesn't have a hepa filter. A Hepa filter is such a small part of the overall equation that it's close to meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    What exactly are you disagreeing with ?

I didn't say Hepa wasn' better. What I did say is The dust generted by your process , whatever it is , is going to produce more dust particals of all sizes closer to your air intake that will not get captured by the vac to even get filtered at all. That dust is produced in far more volume and closer to you than any particles that would not get captured in an identical vac with a non Hepa filter. So, worrying about a minscule bit of xtra dust spewed out of a vac's secondary filter because it's not Hepa rated is a bit moot since you still have to deal with a lot more volume of dust closer to you anyway.

Sure, all things being equal the HEPA vac would be better. But they're not equal. My main point is one shouldn't dismiss a vac simply because it doesn't have a hepa filter. A Hepa filter is such a small part of the overall equation that it's close to meaningless.
    I’m disagreeing with the hepa filter being such a small part in the equation that it’s almost meaningless. To me saying that the dust generated at the source is already bad so why worry about the vacs exhaust is like saying you’re already exposed to pollutants in the air so why quit smoking. Less is best. The vacs exhaust spreads the fine dust throughout the shop to land on everything and be airborne again later. The point of dust extraction is to contain not spread. I am diligent to collect dust at the source more than most people I’m sure. So why would I stop at the thing collecting that dust? Especially when the extra cost is not much and the tool to do it is a very good one.