Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $700 for a 1 month old Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325. Good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Richardson View Post
    ....While I understand the the used is used argument, I'd love to know which of you would purchase a new $30,000.00 automobile, and after putting 1000 miles on the odometer, would sell it for $15,000.00 with the full factory warranty.....
    What's this have to do with anything? You asked about resale on a particular bandsaw, not resale trends in automobiles.

My "used is used" comment referred to the lack of warranty or Rikon backing on a second-owner saw. Feel free to talk yourself into it, but you asked, and $700 is too much for a 10-325 (and will continue to be too much regardless of how many times you ask).

Maybe this is better....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Richardson View Post
    $700 for a 1 month old Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325. Good deal?
    Yes. It is a good deal. For the seller.

The real question is why the original owner was not satisfied with it?
    and
    will you be satisfied with it @ 700 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    If the band saw is in perfect working condition,all the problem associated with assembly /defects are all ironed out,warranty is still intact,delivered to your door ,then I would buy it specially if this model is the one you have been interested in and wanted to buy it in the first place.
    Now If it's not exactly what you are looking for and you have to convince yourself that it is a good deal ,then walk away.
    At 10% discount I will not buy something if it's not what I'm looking for,just not enough incentive.
    Agree 100% the saw is basically brand new and hardly used I am sure. Show me someone who buy's something at retail and a month or two later is willing to sell it for 50% of what they paid??? Never gonna happen whether you think it should or not. Heck I see stuff all the time on CL that is years old and the asking price is well above the 50% threshold. I know it is asking price but you are not going to talk someone down that much if their asking price is 75-80% of retail. If it is what you were looking for than go look at it test it thoroughly and buy it. Take it home and be excited about your new saw and if course USE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    The real question is why the original owner was not satisfied with it?
    and
    will you be satisfied with it @ 700 bucks?
    This is the perfect answer to your question. I also think 700.00 is to high. Haggle on the price of the saw with him if he wants to get rid of it he will take a loss on it. Start low and meet him somewhere your both comfortable. Just make sure its all he said it is, look it over good and find out how many hours the machine has on it.

I'd want to make sure the warranty coverage is still good for a second owner. A call to Rikon should answer that question. Otherwise, I have one and find it a good saw. Someone else may not. Any idea why the current owner is unhappy? If he was expecting MM16 or Laguna 14 SUV functionality, I'm sure he's disappointed. Nothing says you can't offer less and as others have said, no sales tax. Short of connecting a motor wired for 120 volts to 240 volts or similar, how much 'invisible' damage could someone do in a month? As far as a % of new price, I don't think anyone would expect to pay the same price for a 20 year old machine as they would for a 1 month old machine assuming same make & model.

Show up with $ 600.00 cash and bargain yourself a great deal.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Show up with $ 600.00 cash and bargain yourself a great deal.
    That's a sure way to be shown the door at my place. Anyone who pulls the ol' "I only brought $X with me" is either lying or had no intention of seeing if the item was truly worth what I was asking. Either way, I want nothing to do with them.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Note to self - negotiate with Dan before driving.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am with Phil. Why is he so unhappy with it? That is enough to scare me away. Especially at a near retail asking price. Assuming it was purchased at or through Woodcraft it can be returned although it might be a hassle and could inflict a restocking charge. Seems like there is more to this tale then meets the eye. That being said if your so inclined go have a look and hopefully try it out. If it's in a shop that shouldn't be a problem. See if it works like you want and expect it to. As to the warranty what if he registered online? Most can be done that way. It's your call and I wish you well. It may not be a bad deal if it's exactly what you want. However if you really want more saw then you will ultimately wish you had held out IMHO.

Someone is likely to buy it at that price or close given the very limited use. If you want one, its a savings of at least $100 plus tax over what Woodcraft might put it on sale again again in the future but there's no guarantee of that. The tradeoff is losing warranty, but honestly, how often have you made a warranty claim on something? Its pretty rare except an occasional out of the box issue.

What it sold for a year or two ago is irrelevant to current value. There's a lot of good equipment out there that will easily sell for as much if not more than it sold for even a few years ago because there have been some hefty price increases. And apparently other machines who's value is being driven down by what's currently available from what I'm seeing.

As to the warranty, at best trying to make a claim would be dishonest.

RIKON Power Tools, Inc. (“Seller”) warrants to only the original retail consumer/purchaser of our products that each product be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date the product was purchased at retail. This warranty may not be transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    That's a sure way to be shown the door at my place. Anyone who pulls the ol' "I only brought $X with me" is either lying or had no intention of seeing if the item was truly worth what I was asking. Either way, I want nothing to do with them.
    That makes me mad also. I have directed more than a couple people to the ATM before. I had one guy say to me that I should just give xyz to them because it looked like I could afford to.(he rolled up to the house in a fairly new F150)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Someone is likely to buy it at that price or close given the very limited use. If you want one, its a savings of at least $100 plus tax over what Woodcraft might put it on sale again again in the future but there's no guarantee of that. The tradeoff is losing warranty, but honestly, how often have you made a warranty claim on something? Its pretty rare except an occasional out of the box issue.

What it sold for a year or two ago is irrelevant to current value. There's a lot of good equipment out there that will easily sell for as much if not more than it sold for even a few years ago because there have been some hefty price increases. And apparently other machines who's value is being driven down by what's currently available from what I'm seeing.

As to the warranty, at best trying to make a claim would be dishonest.
    All good points, Matt.

14. i would be conserned about why the owner doesnt like it.
    id go over there and talk it through and do lots of playing with it. change the blade, tension itdo all the cuts etc. then if its working great consider if it is worth having no warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    You asked for opinions. You got them and are now not liking them? If you think it is a good deal and the seller thinks it's a good then great hand over the $700 and enjoy your saw.
    It was not a matter of me not liking other's opinions. I was just tempting more debate. I ended up not purchasing the saw. I just did not have that "drive" that you get to take the plunge. However, someone else did last Saturday.....