Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new to me Northfield 12" jointer PICS

My new to me Northfield 12" jointer PICS

I picked up my new to me Northfield 12" jointer yesterday. The seller couldn't have been nicer and helpful in the loading process, always a major plus in the buying process. It seems to be in excellent condition and was in use up until I purchased it. My first inclination before laying eyes on the jointer was to go through a restoration process, which was inspired by some who have done the same and posted pictures on the Vintage Machinery website. After seeing the jointer I'm sort of happy with the way it looks as is. The original paint and decals are still intact and there is little to no rust. I'm also less interested now to install a helix cutter head. The seller produced some fine looking furniture with it so if it was good enough for him it should be good enough for me too. Hope you enjoy the pics.
    Northfield Jointer 004.jpgNorthfield Jointer 008.jpg

Nice, sturdy machine! Congratulations!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's a beauty! Put it thru it's paces and if you find it does a good job...well, I wouldn't touch or replace a thing. It looks so cool the way it is, minus maybe the rust. How much? Ya, I'm a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    That's a beauty! Put it thru it's paces and if you find it does a good job...well, I wouldn't touch or replace a thing. It looks so cool the way it is, minus maybe the rust. How much? Ya, I'm a masochist.
    Thanks. What appears to be rust on the table is actually flash rust from the fence that was taken off with a Scotch-Brite pad. It was from the fence sitting on my truck BedRug that was slightly damp from transporting something else earlier. The rust developed in just 4 hours while in transit. There is really no other rust on the machine. However, I did find an old dried up mud wasp nest under the stand. $1500

Good deal. Enjoy it.

Congratulations! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't believe it is the original paint though. I've never seen any Northfield machinery that wasn't green.

At least Whoever painted it appears to have not slathered it on and covered the badges. Even if you keep the current paint (personally I hate that color grey that for some reason EVERY shop had) at least spray some simple green or something on it to freshen it up.

Nice machine. I’m one of the guys on OWWM that stripped it down and painted it.

The gray paint is definitely original. Northfield apparently changed from gray to green paint around 1967 according to the Vintage Machinery website. I still may restore the machine and paint it the current green color used by the manufacturer or something close. The restoration that caught my eye was the one done by Jameel Abraham. The attention to detail was impressive. But for now I happen to enjoy the look of how it was made and it's journey to what it is today. I may try some Simple Green to see what it does to freshen it up though. The machine was originally sold out of Los Angeles to the University of California Santa Barbara. From there it made it into private hands in Santa Barbara and then to a professional furniture maker who later settled in Arizona. I'm apparently the 4th owner.

Matt - Do you have a link to pictures of your restoration?

Has anyone discovered a unique part on this jointer, at least something that doesn't appear on most other Northfield 12" medium duty jointers?

Here’s my restoration thread:
    http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=...field&start=15
    Miss August this year on the calendar btw.

Not sure what you mean by a unique part? No other manufacturer makes the 12ld/md so one can argue every part is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Here’s my restoration thread:
    http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=...field&start=15
    Miss August this year on the calendar btw.

Not sure what you mean by a unique part? No other manufacturer makes the 12ld/md so one can argue every part is unique.
    The unique part with respect to Northfield only as far as I know is the bracket that holds the cutterhead guard. It is like no other that I've seen from other Northfield 12MD owner's pictures. According to a Northfield jointer drawing it is the one used for the patternmakers jointer and is different that their standard bracket. I have no idea what it has to do with this specialized jointer but would like to find out. Anyone?

Thanks for the link to your jointer restoration but unfortunately they're posted on photobucket and I'm not able to see them.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 11-10-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I don't believe it is the original paint though. I've never seen any Northfield machinery that wasn't green.
    That's original paint. They made the switch from stock grey to green in the late 70s early 80s I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    The unique part with respect to Northfield only as far as I know is the bracket that holds the cutterhead guard. It is like no other that I've seen from other Northfield 12MD owner's pictures. According to a Northfield jointer drawing it is the one used for the patternmakers jointer and is different that their standard bracket. I have no idea what it has to do with this specialized jointer but would like to find out. Anyone?

Thanks for the link to your jointer restoration but unfortunately they're posted on photobucket and I'm not able to see them.
    My least favorite part of NF jointers is the bracket for the gaurd. My favorite is the porter as it can easily drop down out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Click on the pictures. It’ll bring you to PB and you’ll see them non-fuzzy.