Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Year Public Service Message

A New Year Public Service Message

To those of you watching the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game on TV: these are NOT live events. They were recorded months ago on the same soundstage used for the Apollo moon landings, with the aid of a ton of very expensive special effects provided by George Lucas and James Cameron.

The winter climate in Southern California, in spite of what you think you're seeing on TV, is roughly the same as Buffalo, NY, except with more wind. The summers are more like equatorial Africa, except for a few weeks in September when the wildfires reduce the humidity slightly. Wherever you are now is certainly a better place to live and there is absolutely no reason for you to even think about moving here.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Did I mention the earthquakes?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yeah but, are the wait lines at Disneyland tolerable?
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 01-01-2022 at 8:43 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

You forgot the flying snakes, Drop Bears and Sharknadoes. The fact that all your Chalupas are made in Belize is enough for me to cancel my train fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Yeah but, are the wait lines at Disneyland tolerable?
    Having been to both Disneyland and Disney World, I'd have to say that's one of the (few?) things the East coast does better.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

The quake this week was over 500 miles away. My sister said her house had no damage at all just all the cabinet doors and drawers opened a few non-breakable items fell on the floor. made for a sight to see in her little downtown as many shop windows broke and workers got paid to put stuff back on the shelves.
    Do kids back east get taught to stand in doorways? She said it lasted long enough for her and her family to get to separate doorways.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-02-2022 at 1:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Having been to both Disneyland and Disney World, I'd have to say that's one of the (few?) things the East coast does better.
    How about hardwood? We got lots fo' (relatively)cheep.. And rain .... we don't rely on neighboring states for water.

Blog Entries
    we don't rely on neighboring states for water.
    My recollection of water in southern California is it is some of the nastiest tasting water of all the places visited in my life.

Those other states must not be sending their good stuff.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What we do have in the eastern USA are the original 13 colonies that were responsible for eliminating a King and all of the stripes on the American flag belong to us. We also have the greatest shipyard in the world, NASA, the largest Naval base, almost all of the battlefields and we are rich in hardwood forests and agriculture. Although we don't have many tornadoes or earthquakes we do experience the majority of the big storms. We can get all of the fresh water we want just 30 to 90 feet from the grass we walk on in most areas.

This is not a contest, we have just been here longer then you westerners and have made good use of our time and resources

Well, THAT turned dark in a hurry, didn't it?

Out where I live in eastern Washington we live in constant fear of St Helens blowing again. We hope we fought off the American natives for the last time, and we were told that we would soon have electricity available for the first time, but we do worry about the Columbia river going dry. Living off the grid is a way of life here. Leaves little time for woodworking which out here means chopping wood for heat.
    if you are thinking of moving west I would encourage you to consider central California. You can help them rebuild from the the ground up, fire will make you have to do that.🤣

I love PA, where I have lived my whole life and will probably be here in the end.

With that said, San Diego was the one place I vacationed that I was tempted into staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Well, THAT turned dark in a hurry, didn't it?

No! Not dark at all Lee we just have a totally different experience living on opposite coasts.

I imagine where we grew up influences our preferences. I cannot imagine living somewhere where the predominant color is brown rather than green. Let me qualify that -- green without irrigation. I've spent a little time in the Southwest and it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. I'm sure many people born and raised in the Southwest feel the same about the eastern half of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I imagine where we grew up influences our preferences.
    Full disclosure: I'm an Air Force brat.

The thing is, I grew up in Alaska, New Jersey, Georgia, Colorado, Virginia, and Florida, then (finally) came to California after grad school (in Colorado again).

So yeah, where I grew up influences my preferences.

Just wondering, did LA ever recover from the Vornado and is the La Brea collapse into a hole repaired? Did the escape from LA really happen?
    I have so many questions to ponder.