Thread: Mate vs Viceroy, carbide tool help/suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    John S, a recent change in the forum apparently limits photo viewing to Contributors.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=7&a=26
    Many Members have run into this in the past few days. Maybe this should be added as point #3 to the error message if that's possible.
    You can click on the "Donate" button in the blue menu banner at the top of every screen for info about Contributor status. The min cost is almost nothing.
    JKJ
    That announcement also says "This is the final change to let everyone know that we will soon convert to a subscriber based system. Members can use the Donate button to update their accounts here and restore their ability to view pictures and access file attachments."

What does "subscriber based system" mean? Simply that a minimum donation will be required? Is there further information somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    That announcement also says "This is the final change to let everyone know that we will soon convert to a subscriber based system. Members can use the Donate button to update their accounts here and restore their ability to view pictures and access file attachments."

What does "subscriber based system" mean? Simply that a minimum donation will be required? Is there further information somewhere?
    I saw some questions and discussion of this in another thread or two, maybe a search? I didn't see any hard information but the impression I got was yes, some minimum donation will give full access. I personally saw no hint of the future minimum amount but the current minimum is $6 a year, pennies a day. I found it easier to sign up with the monthly option and let PayPal do the bookkeeping.

After this change some people have decided it was worth it and signed up; some have been upset and said goodbye.

There have been explanations of the reason for this change and from what I read it boils down to having enough funds to keep the forum running which I assume is considerable considering things like the internet provider, servers, maintenance, programmers, etc. Kieth, the owner/manager here wrote recently that the support from advertisers has dwindled due to the increased use of ad blockers. I don't use many forums but I know of another one with the same problem.

JKJ