Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA Glue source

CA Glue source

Has anyone picked up CA glue at lowes/home depot? I see Gorilla Super Glue Gel says it's CA glue. Has anyone used this to fill small holes in wood?

Also what about an activator? I don't see that at all, at least on HD/lowes web site.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I’ve got a couple bottles of bob smith ca glue with activator that I bought like 3 years ago at a hobby store. Medium and thin or super thin can’t remember right this second. They are still good. It’s on Amazon too, but if you want to go to a store check a hobby town or something

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Has anyone picked up CA glue at lowes/home depot? I see Gorilla Super Glue Gel says it's CA glue. Has anyone used this to fill small holes in wood?

Also what about an activator? I don't see that at all, at least on HD/lowes web site.
    I tend to order this stuff from Amazon including accelerator. The 'borg does carry CA glue...mostly the thinner stuff. "Gorilla" is a brand and yes, they offer a variety of glue types including CA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used quite a bit of this product with good results

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Instantb...-400/203082931

That said, for filling holes, Starbond and others have coloured CA glue that really does a nice job. It's not available at big box, as far as I can see in Canada, at least.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

You want the good stuff?
    Consider Mercury Adhesives: https://www.mercuryadhesives.com/ Scroll down for details.

- Excellent, in my experience.
    - Best bottle and cap i’ve ever seen.
    - Unconditional guarantee - they will replace any bottle that sets up.
    - Made in USA.

Starbond is good....free shipping

It sounds good, John. It's available on Amazon.ca for $51 for 2oz. Taxes in, that's $58!. That's simply not in the cards for me. Tks for the recommendation, though.

mercury in Canada.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You want the good stuff?
    Consider Mercury Adhesives: https://www.mercuryadhesives.com/ Scroll down for details.

- Made in USA.
    Last edited by Grant Wilkinson; 01-12-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

YOWZERS Momma!!! Woodcraft is at $9.99 USD and Amazon (USA) is at $10.25 USD for the medium Mercury Flex. Had to check after seeing $50+.
    I like Bob Smith Super Thin for penetrating (carrying powder stone/metal into small cracks, but i don't use accelerator for that--just let it cure a few hours to a day so i don't run the risk of white moisture spots deep in a blank (1/16" to 1/8" in a pen or stopper blank is deep!!) I normally use Mercury Flex medium or thick for deeper fills depending on the size of the opening and how sure i am to get penetration. For finishing, i've pretty much switched over to Glu Boost--just seems to flow better. With either Mercury or Glu Boost--i use their own accelerators and both work very well.

If i'm just gluing 2 things together--it's usually Bob Smith Super Thick or gel.

Agree with J K Jordan on Mercury's caps--awesome. Glu Boost uses same or similar enough. I keep meaning to check to see if the thread is the same as the Bob Smith bottles--hate their caps, even when i remember to wax them!!
    earl

My small local machinery dealer stocks the 2p-10 ca glue and accelerator. If your looking to buy local you could check the tool dealers in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You want the good stuff?

- Made in USA.
    Looks good actually, except now I see Starbond has black, which i think is an advantage. Mercury needs some help with their website!
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    ..,I see Starbond has black…
    Is the black Starbond a flexible “rubber" CA?
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-13-2022 at 5:30 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    It sounds good, John. It's available on Amazon.ca for $51 for 2oz. Taxes in, that's $58!. That's simply not in the cards for me. Tks for the recommendation, though.
    Last time I bought some i think it was direct from Mercury, price was reasonable.

I get CA from Stewart-Macdonald. I only use the #30 thick stuff anymore, and a bottle lasts me for years, even though I use some on almost every instrument I build. There are times when something thinner would be a little handier, but I use it so infrequently that it dries up in the bottle.

Woodturnerswonders is a source
    Check out his adhesive section

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I get CA from Stewart-Macdonald. I only use the #30 thick stuff anymore, and a bottle lasts me for years, even though I use some on almost every instrument I build. There are times when something thinner would be a little handier, but I use it so infrequently that it dries up in the bottle.
    Yea, that's where a chunk of mine is from including the black. I think my "thick" is Super-T but I'd have to step into the icebox that I call my temporary shop to find out for sure. LOL StewMac had one of their frequent specials with CA about the time I needed some and I ended up with a bunch of 10, 20 and 30 plus black all at once. I'm sure some of it's spoiled at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...