Page 50 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

Thank you both, Jim and Jack, for your answers.
    Now I know (or am pretty sure at the moment with my planned layout) where I will hang mine.

Creeker Steve Wurster stopped by today to see the shop-work-in-progress. We had a great chat.

-----

I didn't get much time in the shop today, but did put together my BOM for the remainder of the duct components from Blastgate Company, got my quote and will finalize the order on Monday. Weird how the quote was nearly to the dollar of the money I had put aside for it. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Creeker Steve Wurster stopped by today to see the shop-work-in-progress. We had a great chat.
    Thanks for having me over, Jim. The shop looks great!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Jim - great progress.

One of these days/years when I get the upstairs done in my building and I can move my standup desk and three monitors out of the shop I will post some pics of my mostly finished shop.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Thanks for having me over, Jim. The shop looks great!
    Always a pleasure my friend!

-----

Today I did some "actual woodworking" in the new shop...it only involved the table saw and DC, but I was working with wood. Err...plywood...but that's wood, right? There will be a separate thread on the project but in essence, it's a four cubby shelving unit to provide proper support to the plastic hardware storage bins I use for about ten billion screws and other things. I've been using them "by themselves" for a few years and that's been ok, but they tend to sag from the weight of the stuff they contain. Placing them on hard shelves will stop that deformation and insure that all the little drawers go in and out with ease. I will likely make a single cubby version for the same kind of storage unit that gets used for all my CNC tooling, too.
    --

While I continued a little work on the aforementioned screw/hardware storage unit, the first part of material storage also took shape. Since the sheet goods storage is in a corner, that was where this part of the shop fit out started. An old 2'x4' portable work surface serves as the platform and is raised slightly above the floor with plastic feet. I don't want any direct contact to the concrete floor by non-treated wood wherever I can avoid it. That was the easiest part of this little job. The next step, after installing a piece of 2x4 to the side of the platform where the "separating wall" between this section and the lumber storage will go (also with plastic feet to keep it off the floor) was to get the intersection point with the truss up above. This was necessary so that a 2x3x10' could be extended up to the truss plumb and true for the end of that separation wall. This certainly could have been determined by taking various measurements (and hoping things are square...LOL) but it was faster and easier to just use a plumb bob...

IMG_3586.jpg IMG_3587.jpg IMG_3588.jpg IMG_3589.jpg

Since the point of my plumb bob was somehow buggered in storage, I used a square to eyeball things using the string as a reference. It was close enough for the task at hand.

I got pretty focused on things and failed to take any intermediate photos, but the structure for the separating wall was built from 2x3 material; some "pristine" and some from the "purple sprayed cull pile" at the Orange store where I bought four 2x4 and two 2x3 for six bucks. The side of this separating wall will get skinned with a piece of 1/4" plywood that was a separation sheet from a plywood delivery I got a couple years ago. I don't throw stuff like that out and it's in the sheed with the rest of the sheet goods. The wall side of this storage area just got simple furring strip material to protect the sheet rock.

IMG_3595.jpg

Next step is to build the vertical lumber racks.
    --

To bring closure to the sheet goods storage, at least for now (more on that in a moment), I was able to extract the piece of quarter inch plywood that knew I had in the shed to skin the outside of the sheet goods bin and then get it painted. As I previously noted, I that piece of material was a slip sheet from a plywood order I got from Industrial Plywood a couple years ago and I tend to not throw stuff like that out.

IMG_3605.jpg IMG_3613.jpg

Now to my reference above to "for now", it's clear to me that I need to make a change to the slats on the wall side of this storage area so that they are stepped and permit the sheet goods to have a lean so they don't fall in the other direction but still be fully supported...this is much the same as things need to be for the vertical lumber storage. So when I have time, I'll replace the simple furring strips with graduated thickness strips to take care of business.

The other major task completed today was the shelving unit to contain my hardware/scres storage boxes. It's painted and hung. I'll do a quick, separate build thread later, but these two photos clearly show that things are starting to get organized. Tomorrow, I'll make the attempt to move the hardware/screw "collection" and hopefully not dump it all on the lawn.

IMG_3610.jpg IMG_3611.jpg
    --

or could just screw the plywood to wall and store 2 or more extra sheats of plywood in the storage area.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    or could just screw the plywood to wall and store 2 or more extra sheats of plywood in the storage area.
    I'm not understanding how this would support the material at a slight lean and I would rarely have more than 4-5 sheets anyway. The space is more than generous, so my concern is more about keeping material from bowing as it leans slightly for stability. As noted, this is the same thing that has to be addressed with vertical lumber storage.
    --

"Stuff's" getting real...the screw collection moved in today.

IMG_3619.jpg IMG_3620.jpg

In my copious free time, I think I'm going to do the painful thing and do a little culling of what's in some of those bins, too...that may require an adult beverage or three. LOL
    --

Super impressive! Mastery of the miscellaneous hardware is true control! I really like the angled machines. Putting that Harvey in the corner is going to give you sweet access to the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

I think I'm going to do the painful thing and do a little culling of what's in some of those bins. LOL

Jim, everything is going to be okay. You don't want to do this Jim, they need you Jim. they all love you Jim, all the little bolts, nuts, washers 'n do-dads,... they all need you Jim! don't do this Jim! Everything will be alright. come back in off the ledge and sit down Jim, talk to us, it's okay , everything is going to be okay,... they love you Jim, they all love you.

E5501D20-3D59-4107-98BA-5474755599B6.jpeg
    Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 01-11-2023 at 10:11 PM. Reason: needed to

I farmed out all my nut, bolt, and screw storage to big warehouse place in town. It’s called Home Depot. They store everything, even stuff I did’t have for free until I need it. Then it is a decent price.

Keepin' 99% of my hardware.... at my age I'm not willing to expend any of my remaining time running around creation** to get some screws.
    I have them pretty well organized and they don't take much space.
    I live in low desert AZ so weather is not a factor (summer temps maybe but not "weather")
    Can't imagine folks who live where it snows being willing to drive even a few miles through snow/sleet/slush etc every time they need some fasteners.
    And I'm introverted besides... I LIKE not going out.
    Still, ...not my life...to each his own.

**Check Orange/Blue Websites for what I need in Qty X...YES Orange/Blue store has it in Qty X+10
    Get to O/B store... Qty is actually 2. Go to Service desk and ask about item...where are remaining qty (X-2) of item?
    Desk person: that is all we have.
    Person who does not have multiple decades of life remaining: Website says you have Qty X+10
    Desk person: Website is not always correct. You might try O/B store (10 miles yonder)... website says it has Qty X+20
    Person who does not have multiple decades of life remaining: So I can rely on the accuracy of the website for yonder store even tho' it was incorrect for this store?
    Desk person:.....*crickets*
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-12-2023 at 2:06 AM.

Jim
    Dont toss them, build one of these sets of drawers burried somewhere out of the way. This set stores everything I have aside from Pasload nails/Brads/3/8 and up hardware
    IMG_20200430_064732.jpg

Whens the open house?