Thread: This Creeker's Past Week (Year) accomplishments

This Creeker's Past Week (Year) accomplishments

We moved into our TN house a couple of years ago, the wife wanted Plantation Shutters on many of the windows. I saw this as an opportunity to buy some new tools and so I started late 2017. We'd had Plantation Shutters installed on our Dallas house and that averaged out around $1000 per window.

I haven't kept a super accurate tally of my expenses, but I figure I'm at around $6000, but that includes buying $3200 worth of machines.

I'm retired, so my time doesn't count.

I used the Rockler Shutter System, buying most of the shutter hardware and their jigs for the Louver spacing and pin drilling.

I bought two truck bed fulls or 5/4 rough sawn Basswood, about $900.

My Dewalt 735 did most of the rough planing, before I broke down and bought a Hammer A3-31 when most of the planing was finished. I didn't figure that into the shutter cost as I pretty much didn't use it for this project.

I had about 60 mortise slots to cut, 1/2"w x 2" deep, so I bought a Powermatic PM719. This was one of the easiest tools to set up use.

For the Louvers, I needed 243 around 31" in length, so I bought a ShopFox W1812.

The wife wanted them painted white to match the existing trim, so I built a temporary spray booth in my garage. I initially bought an Apollo Turbine 5 HVLP spray gun, but I had minimal success so I tried a Graco Magnum X5 Airless sprayer, which I'd bought a couple of years earlier, and that worked perfectly.

This past week I hung 14 shuttesr in 11 windows and didn't have to modify anything for fit.

The wife is happy, now she's tasked me with doing 15 more windows.

You are definitely on a roll! Less than $500 per shutter and lots of new machines.

With my wife latest request, for more shutters, I'm also hoping she'll approve a request to extend my garage an extra 30' x 13'.

I have room to do this extension, it would be nice to have a separate area for assembly, finishing and storage.

The Rockler set up worked great for me when making some shutters for my own home. I made the fixed louver shutters for my home and their system was easy to follow. I suggest using a good sprayer to apply the paint if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I suggest using a good sprayer to apply the paint if possible.
    Do you have any suggestions?

I have an Apollo Turbine 5 HVLP, a couple of auto finish spray guns that work off my compressor and the Airless Graco Magnum.

I sprayed my Ducati myself, with the Automotive spray guns, and most people think it's the factory finish. I actually used this setup to spray some cabinet doors, in my kitchen, after I had to cut a 9" section out of the doors and re-glued them in their smaller configuration. You can't tell the difference between the pair I sprayed and the doors next to them with their original paint job.

I bought the Apollo HVLP system, but I had to thin the paints and primer and it was too much hassle filling the paint cups so frequently, even though I was using the 3M PPS system.

The Graco Airless , I sprayed the Sherman Williams straight out of the paint cans without any thinning. I did experiment with a few paint tips and actually went quite a bit finer than their recommendation.

I'm very satisfied with the Shutter's finish, their's no orange peel and the paint laid down super flat. I did sand the primer coat with 220 after sprayed that. I did get a couple of runs where I go a little too heavy with the paint application, but those sanded out easily and only required a minor touch up.

But I'm no expert, in finishing, by any means and if there are better tools or procedures for the job, I'm always willing to give them a try.

Thanks