Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing motor pulley

Sourcing motor pulley

I need a motor pulley for my PM72. Unfortunately, this is proving to be slightly more difficult than I anticipated. I need a 4 v belt pulley with 3” outside diameter, 7/8” bore, and 1.75” wide. All I seem to find are pulleys with indeterminate bores. They don’t spec out the total width either.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...parentimage%24

is this typical? I’m guessing I can get a bushing to get the bore to fit 7/8, but how do I ensure it’s properly sized to fit the shaft key. This also seems a little janky. Anyone have a better source?

Hopefully someone smarter than me will comment, but I've had this problem, too.

If I understand, the combination of pulley diameters and bore diameters makes for such an intractably large number of combinations that they sell "quick connect" bushings to mate a given shaft to a given pulley. For the pulley you linked, you need a compatible quick-disconnect bushing:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/pulley-bushings

Try this place Patrick https://electricmotorwarehouse.com/pulleys-sheaves/
    They have a good selection. I don’t envy you it’s not easy swapping motors and figuring out all the speeds and belts.
    For me it wasn’t
    Aj

Buy one that is not bored. I will have to look up the place I buy from. Able to find just about any obscure/odd sized pulley, have it bored to what i need and a key way broached.

Patrick,

The one Grainger is displaying is by TB Woods. Here you can download their catalogue and it has the information for which you are asking, IMO. https://www.tbwoods.com/products/bel...es-and-V-Belts Go to "Literature" to download the catalogue.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

How about this one from Graingers.

WOOD'S 7/8" Fixed Bore Variable Pitch V-Belt Pulley, For V-Belt Section: 3L, 4L, 5L, A, AX, B, BX

Item # 5UHR2
    Mfr. Model # 1VP3478

I could not find a pulley for my old Atlas drill press spindle shaft. I bought a pulley close and had a machine shop enlarge the pulley on a lathe. That was several years ago. I thought about drilling it but I was afraid it would end up a little off center.

Any half reasonable bearing supplier carries pulleys as well. Ask for the diameter you need with a taper lock to suit your shafts size. A taper lock is a centre bush that will clamp to your shaft. Only tools required are Allen wrenches. Taper locks and pulleys sold separately so you can get the combination you need. Just finished doing this on the 10000cfm dust collector that was eating belt sets due to worn pulley grooves. Cheers

If the design allows it, taper lock is the way to go. Dave

Jason Industrial makes an adjustable link v-belt. I think it is available on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I need a motor pulley for my PM72. Unfortunately, this is proving to be slightly more difficult than I anticipated. I need a 4 v belt pulley with 3” outside diameter, 7/8” bore, and 1.75” wide. All I seem to find are pulleys with indeterminate bores. They don’t spec out the total width either.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...parentimage%24

is this typical? I’m guessing I can get a bushing to get the bore to fit 7/8, but how do I ensure it’s properly sized to fit the shaft key. This also seems a little janky. Anyone have a better source?
    I have a hunch that I just went through this for a 12/14 saw. My specs were 8" diameter, 4 groove, A belt with a bushing for 1.125" shaft. Super easy. Wrong! Totally unobtainable. It turns out that everybody uses an A-B belt design nowadays which pushes the belts further apart. Basically the width of an A-B pulley is greater than an A only pulley. I ended up getting a custom pulley quote and to buy a new motor would be cheaper. I'm not sure where you are located, but I have a nice bearing supply store close to me. I take my specs in to them and, if it's available, they can get it for me.

There is a seller on ebay that sells all sorts of pulleys, even in different quality grades.

Tim, can both pulleys be replaced? With today's belts you don't need four, two would likely be fine. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    If the design allows it, taper lock is the way to go. Dave
    Absolutely. Buy the sheave to match then the taper hub to match the shaft. Note that there are several standard taper hub sizes so the pulley and hub have to match. there is some overlap but you have to know they will match.
    Bil lD

Tractor supply has weldable hubs and sprockets I do not think they have weldable pulleys.

How many HP? how small is smallest pulley? seems like two belts should be enough. My 3HP Unisaw I am only using two belts it is designed for three.
    Bill D