Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press thoughts

Question Drill Press thoughts

I need to get another drill press. In my prior setup I had a Nova Voyager. It was nice but I can’t justify $2K this time around. I’m looking at the Nova Viking bench top and floor standing, as well as the Jet 15” bench and floor as well as the jet 17” floor standing. Any thoughts on these 4 options? I really like the beefy looking build and large table of the Jet’s. They are belt drive but that seems a less complex approach than the DVR of the Nova’s. However, I see common complaints on the new jets of the light and laser board burning out early. I don’t care too much about those features as long as its reliable to drill.

Any thoughts on these. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I need to get another drill press. In my prior setup I had a Nova Voyager. It was nice but I can’t justify $2K this time around. I’m looking at the Nova Viking bench top and floor standing, as well as the Jet 15” bench and floor as well as the jet 17” floor standing. Any thoughts on these 4 options? I really like the beefy looking build and large table of the Jet’s. They are belt drive but that seems a less complex approach than the DVR of the Nova’s. However, I see common complaints on the new jets of the light and laser board burning out early. I don’t care too much about those features as long as its reliable to drill.

Any thoughts on these. Thank you.
    Watching this thread with interest... I decided (on paper) to go with the Nova benchtop Viking....but no money shelled out yet.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 01-11-2023 at 9:11 PM.

I'm on something like year 8 on my Jet JDP-17.
    - No need to build a supplemental table - ZC insert and slots are in place
    - Lighting systems still work just fine
    - Belt change- easy enough
    - Rotary depth stop is easier and more accurate than threaded rod I've had on others.
    Favorite feature: 5" quill stroke.
    In general, I really like it and would recommend.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    - Rotary depth stop is easier and more accurate than threaded rod I've had on others.

jeff

I looked at the 15” bench top and the 17” floor model recently. I like that feature regarding the table insert and slots. Plus it’s a huge table for sure. Another nice thing is that I can order them through my local Home Depot with free delivery to the store. I also like the fact that its a simple on/off switch and belt system where the electronic control in the nova always worried me on my voyager and would as well on the Viking. They probably are well tested for long life but if that control goes out it would probably be a big deal and would incapacitate the drill. I’m leaning towards one of the jets for the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-11-2023 at 9:14 PM.

+1 - Mine is also around the same age and fully agree with Jeff’s assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post

jeff

I have the benchtop viking. The only thing I dislike is the mechanical depth stop. It's much larger than other benchtop models, just fyi.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/d...564846447.html

Sell the cast iron legs and get enough money to buy two 3 phase motors and a couple vfd's.
    Bill D

I recently got the Powermatic 2820EVS and absolutely love it. It replaced an older Jet 15” which I also really liked and had zero complaints. Like the 2820 the Jet always worked reliably and helped me make beautiful furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/d...564846447.html

Sell the cast iron legs and get enough money to buy two 3 phase motors and a couple vfd's.
    Bill D
    ...because you can't have too many DPs

+2 to Jeff’s experience with the Jet 17”. Does what it’s supposed to for a decent price.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have the benchtop viking. The only thing I dislike is the mechanical depth stop. It's much larger than other benchtop models, just fyi.
    What don't you like about the mechanical depth stop?

The mechanism is much like the old delta benchtop dp's where there's a turret on the crank handle. I much prefer the rod type stop like on the floor model.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    What don't you like about the mechanical depth stop?
    Edit: it has come loose on me more than twice so I have to be mindful. Really not cool, I expect things to work as they should. That aside, I can't fault the machine further. It's really great otherwise.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-12-2023 at 8:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    ...because you can't have too many DPs
    I have seen similar with up to six Dp's on one large cast iron table. One for the centerdrill, one to drill the pilot hole, big hole drill, counterbore, countersink with out changing bits. Or get a burgmiester.
    They also make DPs with no table. They bolt to the ceiling so they take up no floor space. Just roll a work table underneath to use them.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-12-2023 at 9:04 AM.

So , it seems to be a question / decision point around :

Do I like the Jets slightly bigger (but thinner) table with slots -vs.- the instant and nearly infinitely variable speed of the Nova ?

I’m leaving the fear factor out of it cause that’s not a rational consideration, and one might fear this or that with any tool / brand.

I’ll take the easy variable speed everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. A new table is easily bought or made exactly to my needs and wants - I prefer a round insert that affords lots more fresh surface area for backing than a square that can only have 4. However , adding electronically variable speed is an expensive and laborious endeavor to add to a drill press.

YMMV

Go floor standing...it doesn't take up bench space and is easy to tuck away when not in use with a mobile base. I have an older Jet 17" (my only remaining Jet tool from the 2000s when I made my initial stationary tool purchases) and it works fine. But it's basic. There are lots of similar, if not nearly/exactly identical units on the market. If I were buying today, I'd seriously consider a true variable speed via VFD/DVR type, such as the Nova.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...