Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tenons on long parts

Lots of great methods to do these tenons on long boards...but I suspect that the OP is going to need to use his bandsaw and some hand tools for the task simply because I don't believe he has a shaper and his shop is reasonably compact.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Lots of great methods to do these tenons on long boards...but I suspect that the OP is going to need to use his bandsaw and some hand tools for the task simply because I don't believe he has a shaper and his shop is reasonably compact.
    Clearly, the only option is a new Domino XL.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Clearly, the only option is a new Domino XL.
    I can't argue with that....I spent some quality time with mine today, as a matter of fact. . But I have one. I'm not sure that Bob does and the boss is waiting for those crates to be built!.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point, Jim. I do a lot of tenon cheek cutting on the bandsaw. The key here, when sawing the end of a long board, would be to position a stop to ensure that you do not overcut the shoulder.

For exact tenon width cuts, one can use a spacer. Work from a reference side ..

Shoulders are easily sawn on a table saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had to repair 12 tables, and faced the same problem. All the aprons were replaced, and they were 68” long. No way could I do tenons on the table saw, and doing it by hand got old really fast.
    I did it on the band saw after all the details were worked out and the stop blocks set up.
    Made me realize i wanted a better band saw, as soon as the budget allows.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the replies! Lots of good tricks and tips that I will definitely steal. :-)

For parts that I can handle more easily, I really like using the table saw with a dado stack installed. I have a quality miter gauge with a longer fence installed, so basically a sled type of setup. I typically try to plan so that as many of the tenons in a specific piece are same as possible so I can batch cut. Therefore, with a little bit of setup time and I can crank out repeatable results very efficiently.

For that setup, I have the work to the left of the blade, and have about 70" of room in that direction. So these 80" rails were a no-go for that option, and would have probably needed some out-support even if the nearby wall wasn't in the way.

In the end, the original approach actually worked nicely. I stacked the pieces on flat, edge-to-edge, and clamped them to each other and to my table. Carefully setting up a straight edge to run the router against (an edge guide would have been fine too, I just worried ) allowed me to cut one side of one end all at once. The assembly of like parts also allowed a nice surface for the router to sit comfortably on.

Then, last night, I just fine tuned tenons with a chisel and scraper card (which I usually do anyways as I like to oversize and sneak up on perfect fit).

All told, for long cumbersome pieces, I think I'd do it this way again. Took me about 20 minutes to cut all 4 of the tricky tenons (and all others for this piece.. over 20 more! can be done on the table saw as a batch) and they were all square, clean, and centered.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)