Thread: Table Saw Sleds - comparison

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    I will be purchasing a commercial table saw sled, specifically 1) The Dubby or 2) Rockler's version. I would greatly appreciate the opinions (pros & cons) from folks who have use either one or both. Price or DIY not a consideration. Thank you, Vince

Don't exclude Incra's miter express. I went through 3 sleds, home made (ended up too bulky) , Rockler then Incra. In terms of accuracy its better than the Rockler with things like micro adjusting flip stop etc The Rockler is good and definitely adequate but not in the same league.

Yes I know you can make it, as I did, but sometimes people don't have the time or inclination and would rather buy it. I understand where you're coming from.
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 05-31-2021 at 2:52 AM.

Personally, with no price limitation, I would buy the original (Dubby) rather than the knock off. Rarely hear any complaints about it. Mine is well made, and came with great instructions.

Check the You Tube Dubby vids.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I bought a Dubby years ago at a WWing show, I had a minor problem that I can't remember what it was but a phone call to the Co. took care of it right away, it's a great sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    Don't exclude Incra's miter express. I went through 3 sleds, home made (ended up too bulky) , Rockler then Incra. In terms of accuracy its better than the Rockler with things like micro adjusting flip stop etc The Rockler is good and definitely adequate but not in the same league.

Yes I know you can make it, as I did, but sometimes people don't have the time or inclination and would rather buy it. I understand where you're coming from.
    I've spent a few years trying to decide between the Miter Express and the Miter 5000. I've used the Dubby--and it's very good. But--my Incra stuff has been absolutely top-notch.
    earl

5. Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I've spent a few years trying to decide between the Miter Express and the Miter 5000. I've used the Dubby--and it's very good. But--my Incra stuff has been absolutely top-notch.
    earl

I just setup a brand new INcra 5000. With the lg black lock handle and the end fence clamp not fastened, there's about 1/16" play in the actual miter gauge part...the gauge and the black plate underneath it (1 and 1/2 degree adj.) all move together in this 1/16" slop. The fence will clamp down at both ends of this 1/16"...is this normal?

Thanks!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    I just setup a brand new INcra 5000. With the lg black lock handle and the end fence clamp not fastened, there's about 1/16" play in the actual miter gauge part...the gauge and the black plate underneath it (1 and 1/2 degree adj.) all move together in this 1/16" slop. The fence will clamp down at both ends of this 1/16"...is this normal?

Thanks!
    Chris

I don't have one, but I'd guess there are screws attaching the black plate to the main base? Maybe pull the miter gauge portion off and see if they're loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post

Thanks!
    Chris
    I'm assembling an Incra 5000 as I type this, there's zero play in mine. The three plates lock together, the miter gauge plate to the degree plate, the degree plate to the bottom plate which is fixed with 4 screws to the bottom of the sled. Zero play with the locking handle only snug.

I have no play. There are eccentric screw adjustments to secure the miter bar (if that is the problem) so it doesn't move. There should be no movement on any other parts either but I'm not aware of the same type of adjustments. Without looking, I can't remember the exact locations, but, If you need additional assistances, I'll spend some time examining mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I have no play. There are eccentric screw adjustments to secure the miter bar (if that is the problem) so it doesn't move. There should be no movement on any other parts either but I'm not aware of the same type of adjustments. Without looking, I can't remember the exact locations, but, If you need additional assistances, I'll spend some time examining mine.
    There are no eccentric screws adjustments on the steel miter bar, it's a split washer expanded via a counter sunk head screw. I could have swore years ago (more than 10) that the right side table was locked with eccentric screws but now its just a wedged shaped nut that jams the sides of the aluminum miter bar apart where they weakened it by milling most of the material away. So the sides of the bar bulge out until it pinches the sides of the saw miter slot.

Incra 5000 Sled Tip - GREASE the 5 white split washers and screws on the steel miter bar.

Issue - The split white washers on the steel miter bar are countersunk. The adjustment screw is also countersunk. Incra's theory is as you tighten the countersunk screw this spreads the split white washer out snugging the steel miter bar in the saw miter slot removing play. But there is so much friction between the bottom of the split washer and the steel miter bar as you tighten the adjustment screw it seizes. I watched a youtube video by a guy who was struggling with this. There's still a lot of slop in the miter slot but the split washer has seized.

So you put some muscle into it, the allen wrench is bending then BANG the washer breaks loos and expands. Ditto on that guys youtube video. Keep going with several more BANGS until you remove the play in the saw miter slot but its jumping in large moves so you are likely to overshoot. Try to loosen the thing to make a fine adjustment, not possible BANG it breaks loose and jumps in larger movements when loosening. Also the shockwave is not kind on the fingers. Last night I got it adjusted as best as I could but it was mediocre. Some of the 5 split washers were binding it didn't slide smoothly in my saw miter slot.

Fix - So today I removed all 5 of the white split washers and screws. Greased the bottom of the split washer and the countersunk area of the washer, also greased the screw countersunk shoulders. Not a lot, a little dab will do. Then set about adjusting it snug to the saw miter slot. WAY smoother. I was able to expand the 5 split washers slowly and evenly, a bit of back and forth and it was perfect. Slides smoothly front to back with no play and only a slight drag fit. Near the final adjustment I got some small 'ticks' so it's tight for sure but smooth getting there.

AND while I'm at it, check the screws on the black fixed washers which are supposed to be tightened at the factory. One of mine was completely loose and the screw was sticking up.