Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley bans natural gas in new homes

That's pretty good for a low tech and probably relatively low cost method. Sometimes simple is good.

I didn't think Berkley,Ca had any available space/lots to build a home unless one got torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gerhard View Post
    I didn't think Berkeley,Ca had any available space/lots to build a home unless one got torn down.
    I suspect that's pretty common. Around LA people often purchase an older home, demo it, and build a MacMansion. Especially in areas that are being gentrified.

Even where I live (in Orange County south of LA) it's not uncommon to see a house razed and a new one built. Sometimes we ask ourselves, "Why?" because the old house looked pretty good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I suspect that's pretty common. Around LA people often purchase an older home, demo it, and build a MacMansion. Especially in areas that are being gentrified.

Even where I live (in Orange County south of LA) it's not uncommon to see a house razed and a new one built. Sometimes we ask ourselves, "Why?" because the old house looked pretty good.

Mike
    And on that note, check out this site https://mcmansionhell.com/ Sometimes progress is not progress at all.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    California legislators are the absolute masters at naivete.
    Given all the insane ballot initiatives I'd say that it is California voters who fill that role. This is why Lie-Nielsen planes come with a proposition 65 warning.

Frank,

Interesting site, for about 5 minutes, until you realize it is produced by a self described mid twenties guy, who probably took an architecture appreciation class once. I wonder how he has decorated his living quarters in his parents basement.

This gentrification is happening in my area also. I have mixed feelings about it. Some are great, some not so much.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Gotta agree, that is one butt ugly house inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Frank,

until you realize it is produced by a self described mid twenties guy,
    I thought it was teenagers who couldn't attain wisdom. Now its mid twenties guys? We must be getting old.

There are still many Julia Morgan houses and university buildings in Berkeley. San Simeon is probably her best known work. It is a state park now. She also designed Asilomar in Monterey California where many teacher conferences are held each year. I think it is somehow a state park or something like that.
    Bill D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asilom...erence_Grounds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_Castle
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-04-2019 at 1:29 PM.

Frank,

Interesting site, for about 5 minutes, until you realize it is produced by a self described mid twenties guy, who probably took an architecture appreciation class once. I wonder how he has decorated his living quarters in his parents basement.

This gentrification is happening in my area also. I have mixed feelings about it. Some are great, some not so much.
    In general, I really like to see people building giant homes in my neighborhood. Helps my property value.

Much better than seeing the neighborhood deteriorate.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    Given all the insane ballot initiatives I'd say that it is California voters who fill that role. This is why Lie-Nielsen planes come with a proposition 65 warning.
    Yet with all of the assumed "insane ballot initiatives" California still has an economy if viewed separate from the rest of the nation would still be in the top 10 of world economies. They must be doing something right.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Frank,

Actually, the site is by a woman writer with an architectural background.

I enjoy having a look a couple of times a years to see what atrocities she's found.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 09-04-2019 at 3:10 PM.

Frank,

This hits on one of my pet peeves- 'self-perceived professionals' for lack of a better term. Like the endless parade of millennial 'professionals' on daytime talk shows; a 19 year old girl who's the new genius on how to make a pretty salad, or "new trend" advisers who try to save you from wearing horribly wrong socks to that upcoming party, or some guy-or girl- disparaging virtually everything about a 3/4 mil house he'll never be able to afford while effectively labeling anyone who had anything to do with building the place or those who may like it, as complete idiots. My question is, where did these geniuses gather all this knowledge?

Show me a video of some guy in his 50's wearing a 20 year old flannel shirt covered in sawdust, sanding in a cluttered garage workshop explaining what a sliding deadman bench and blind mortise-and-tenon joints are for, and I'll show you someone who actually knows what they're talking about!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

...no, it's not. Where did you get that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yet with all of the assumed "insane ballot initiatives" California still has an economy if viewed separate from the rest of the nation would still be in the top 10 of world economies. They must be doing something right.

jtk
    Maybe it was the FreeLoveIns and anti war protest in 1969.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott