Thread: tis a different age

tis a different age

Took a different route home from the doctor this morning and passed a field with some kind of weed. I mean acreas of the stuff. Couldn't have been just wild. Must have been planted. Strange looking plant. Had a few in my hay field over the years. Never paid any attention to what they were. As I reached a point where the field was only a few feet off the road. There was a sign. Said something about this was industrial hemp for fiber. Do not smoke it, is has insignificant THC and will not create a high. OOOOOOOOOOH, It is a weed. Talked to my neighbor about it and learned that a hemp fibre processing plant just opened a few miles away. This afternoon, a guy shows upo at my door and asked to pick a plant called Aaron's Rod. A weed that comes up in the pasture. Told him to have at it. BTW, what do you do with it. My grandad smokes it for his COPD???? Huh??? Ok Whatever. help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    My grandad smokes it for his COPD???? Huh??? Ok Whatever. help yourself.
    Well, grandad is just hastening his trip to the grave if he smokes anything for COPD. Doesn't matter what kind of miraculous ingredients it may have.

Blog Entries
    This afternoon, a guy shows upo at my door and asked to pick a plant called Aaron's Rod. A weed that comes up in the pasture. Told him to have at it. BTW, what do you do with it. My grandad smokes it for his COPD???? Huh??? Ok Whatever. help yourself.
    Another name for "Aaron's Rod" is Mullein:

Mullein boasts an illustrious history as a favored herbal remedy and, consequently, has found use in various disorders. Its traditional uses generally have focused on the management of respiratory disorders where it was used to treat asthma, coughs, tuberculosis, and related respiratory problems.
    Search terms > aaron's rod plant <

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I guess if you are 85 yrs old, the term "early grave" sort of loses something in translation. My wife worked at a nursing home as an RN. One of the rather fiesty older residents kept begging for a Martini. Eventually, my wife asked the doctor about permission to give the lady a Martini. Doctor said she is 92 years old, has lost most of her vision, is fully mentally alert. He said "it won't kill her" So my wife got the ingredients and made the woman a martini every afternoon about 5pm. The woman had been connected to a famous politician. Every few months a business looking guy about 30 yrs old came by in a black chauffeur driven limousine and put money on her account for her to buy things, brought flowers and the visitor even reimbursed my wife for the booze. The old woman did not know who the young man was, but just said he was sent by an attorney for her boyfriend's estate

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Well, grandad is just hastening his trip to the grave if he smokes anything for COPD. Doesn't matter what kind of miraculous ingredients it may have.
    We had a bad hail storm last summer that took out most of the roofs where I live. Pretty unusual as Utah just doesn't get the kind of storms that the mid-west gets. My son-in-law suggested we replace asphalt shingles with metal and have a 'life time' roof. My response was that the typical 30 year shingle was, for me, pretty much a life time roof. Why put on a 50 year roof when you will be dead in 25 years? I am not looking to 'hasten' my journey yet, but I am sure the time will come when a ''trip and fall down a long flight of stairs" will be a good idea.

I find that my attitude on many things has changed as I get older. When my mother died a few months ago, I also realized how much garbage is left behind whe someone dies. It is all just stuff, and stuff that most people don't want.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Agreed Mark. And that may be just why Grandad smokes the stuff; to not have to live with COPD anymore. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I remember when my wife's grandmother was 98, in a rest home, and they would not let her have salt. We bought a whole case of individual salt packets and brought them to her as needed. We had most of the case in the garage for years after.

The docs also wanted to do a cancer operation on her at 98, and we refused to let them. She died at 101. Had a heart problem from her early 20's, but outlived the DR.

She is the person I have mentioned before about talking to me about friends she had who fought in the Civil War. It just boggled my mind, talking to someone who, as an adult, had friends who fought in, and told her about the war. She and her hubby moved from Illinois to N. Dakota in a Model T to work at a Sioux Indian reservation in the early 20's, my MIL was born on the reservation, and lived there until teenage.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    She is the person I have mentioned before about talking to me about friends she had who fought in the Civil War. It just boggled my mind, talking to someone who, as an adult, had friends who fought in, and told her about the war. She and her hubby moved from Illinois to N. Dakota in a Model T to work at a Sioux Indian reservation in the early 20's, my MIL was born on the reservation, and lived there until teenage.
    I can't lay my mind on the book title just now, but there is a documented story of a woman who worked building B29 bombers in the Boeing factory in Wichita who had been the young bride of a much older older Civil War Confederate officer. She may have riveted the plane that carried the atomic bomb to Hiroshima. My own grandfather moved to Dakota Territory some years prior to the last throws of the plains Indian "wars" at Wounded Knee in 1890. He grew up surrounded by G.A.R. vets.

We are a young country. The 154 years since the end of the war that made us The (rather than "these") is only 7 generations back.

You know what they say...being healthy is simply the slowest possible way to die!

Reminds me of the old joke. A man goes to his doctor and asks him, "Doc, what do I have to do to live to be 100?"

Doc replies, "Don't drink, don't smoke, and don't sleep around."

The man says back to the doc, "Why the heck would I want to live to 100 then?"
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I remember when my wife's grandmother was 98, in a rest home, and they would not let her have salt. We bought a whole case of individual salt packets and brought them to her as needed. We had most of the case in the garage for years after.
    My grandmother was in a nursing home and one day they thought she had a stroke. It turned out to be lack of salt in her diet and not a stroke.