Thread: Workbench Stretcher Height

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Question: Why not knock down? You will not gain strength or stability with glue or even pegs. Because of design when you put weight on the bench it locks down tighter. When it comes time to move the bench, and it will, you will be thankful it is knock down. Just one other thing, I've built Moravian's with both Parallel guides and crisscross of the two the crisscross is less work to install, also less critical in fit, and works better.
    Ken, this design has been evolving for the better part of a year now, and you're not helping with my analysis paralysis! Both your points are very good and I'll have to give them some thought. I should probably just spring for the Crisscross but there's so many other tools I want for that money...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Lucas View Post
    Ken, this design has been evolving for the better part of a year now, and you're not helping with my analysis paralysis! Both your points are very good and I'll have to give them some thought. I should probably just spring for the Crisscross but there's so many other tools I want for that money...
    Joshua,

LOL, sorry about that. If you have the screw the 14" crisscross is pretty cheap but then I love to spend other people's money.

ken

If the stretchers are at floor level, sweeping shavings will be an annoying task. For me a broom is a quick way to clean up around and under the bench. I personally see no reason to be touching the bench with your feet during any operation, unless you are perhaps seated (I sometimes will sit on my saw bench while marking out dovetails).