Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JT Turning tools response time

I think Tom Steyer is busy on the hustings.

https://www.tomsteyer.com/join-the-t...hoCRbAQAvD_BwE

I bet the Tom Steyer of JTTools would love to have some of the millions that the other Tom Steyer is spending on his campaign!!😄

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I bet the Tom Steyer of JTTools would love to have some of the millions that the other Tom Steyer is spending on his campaign!!😄
    Ha! Yes, and probably fewer of the quips that I'm sure he's been getting recently whenever he introduces himself!

Adds a bit of irony to The Bard's timeless question, "What's in a name?"

I do hope he's well. Perhaps Tom Lucas will follow up on this thread if he hears back.

FWIW: One of the forum sponsors is: https://www.qualityvak.com

Still no word from JT Turningtools. But I did get my vacuum installed.

I mounted it to the two 3/8" threaded holes in the left leg. This way, it's in a place of unused space with a very short and neat hose run. Dual mufflers, it's almost silent. I'm pulling 28+ inches.

Tried it today with the simple tools chuck and it works pretty good. Though I would like a bigger surface that is flatter. Tom Steyer are you out there?
    IMG_1766.jpg
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-02-2020 at 3:58 PM.

Good looking setup. I'd put a small hose clamp on the end of the hose that goes on the headstock tube. It might seem to be a tight fit but over time could loosen and lose vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Good looking setup. I'd put a small hose clamp on the end of the hose that goes on the headstock tube. It might seem to be a tight fit but over time could loosen and lose vacuum.
    Thanks. I agree on the clamp. Easy enough to add. This location is good for me because my bandsaw sits at the end of my lathe and the vacuum sits below the bandsaw table and above the bandsaw motor (bandsaw moved for photo). Otherwise useless space.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Still no word from JT Turningtools. But I did get my vacuum installed.
    Kinda makes you wonder how some people stay in business.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bob pfohler View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder how some people stay in business.
    Yeah, there are expectations of quick response when dealing with any business. On the other hand when it is a one man business, you never know what might be going on in their life. I generally try to factor that in to my expectations when dealing with a one man shop.

Tom Lucas, it is hard to tell from your picture, but if you don't have a filter, you should add one to keep dust from going through the compressor. I went to the auto store and bought a clear universal gas filter with push-on barbs. I plumbed it so that the sawdust would collect on the visible outside portion of the filter, so that I could see when it is getting plugged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Tom Lucas, it is hard to tell from your picture, but if you don't have a filter, you should add one to keep dust from going through the compressor. I went to the auto store and bought a clear universal gas filter with push-on barbs. I plumbed it so that the sawdust would collect on the visible outside portion of the filter, so that I could see when it is getting plugged up.
    There is a filter.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-08-2020 at 8:50 AM.

I finally got through on the telephone today with JT TurningTools. I spoke with Tom's wife. It turns out Tom has been in the hospital for the past few weeks. He is home now but still recovering. I think he is getting some help but response is likely to continue to be slow for a while as they catch up. I just wanted to post so that others will know and suggest patience as JT Turningtools gets back to normal. Wishing Tom a fast and full recovery.

Thanks for posting this update, Tom.

Well, I started this thread at the end of January. Today, I finally got my vacuum adapter kit from JTTurningTools. What's that- about 3 months? As I reported Tom Steyer has been having health issues and I believe he continues to fight for a full recovery to this day. I was patient and understanding and it paid off big time. What a really nice setup for vacuum chucking. I just threw the thing on my lathe this afternoon, added a 2" PVC fitting with some foam, and was able to pull about 27.5" Hg. I used it to apply friction polish to a threaded box I had made. Worked great and gripped tightly.

So if you considering any of JTTurnTools products, don't give up. Just call him, and keep calling him until you get through. I wish Tom a full recovery from his ailments. Let's keep supporting the small businesses that make woodturning great!

15. Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Well, I started this thread at the end of January. Today, I finally got my vacuum adapter kit from JTTurningTools. What's that- about 3 months? As I reported Tom Steyer has been having health issues and I believe he continues to fight for a full recovery to this day. I was patient and understanding and it paid off big time. What a really nice setup for vacuum chucking. I just threw the thing on my lathe this afternoon, added a 2" PVC fitting with some foam, and was able to pull about 27.5" Hg. I used it to apply friction polish to a threaded box I had made. Worked great and gripped tightly.

So if you considering any of JTTurnTools products, don't give up. Just call him, and keep calling him until you get through. I wish Tom a full recovery from his ailments. Let's keep supporting the small businesses that make woodturning great!

Tom fulfilled your order just in time.....according to reports he passed away last evening due to a brain hemorage. RIP Tom!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!