Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 volt drill users. Bosch anyone? Milwaukee too $$.

12 volt drill users. Bosch anyone? Milwaukee too $$.

I’ve been eyeing a 12volt impact driver and drill set for awhile. Have a hand me down desalt 14.4 that works great for my needs. Have several batteries, drills, saws, light etc. was looking for something smaller and more compact.

$210 with taxes got a m12 fuel Milwaukee impact, drill, and vibrate tool. Not bad.

Came across a Bosch 12v impact and drill, 2 batteries with a $20 off Lowe’s deal.... $86 out the door. Feel like that was a good deal.

Only dofference is the drill is 3/8” and Milwaukee is 1/2”. Figured I’d use my dewalt if I find j need 1/2” bits.

Anyone use the Bosch 12v tools? They have a battery 1/4” router that looks cool.

I have the drill/driver, 2 or 3 of the impact drivers, the flexiclick set, and the jigsaw. The palm router is on my wish list. I use them constantly and only switch to bigger tools for the big jobs. I can't compare to the Milwaukee because I haven't used any of them, but I love the Bosch. I probably have 8 batteries and I have yet to have to replace one. The flexiclick is great for tight spaces. The only gripe I have with any of them is the jigsaw lacks a dust blower. These aren't the kind of tools you'd use on a construction site, but for in the shop I find them indispensable.

I have a number of the Bosch 12v and am completely satisfied with their power and performance. The batteries provide a charge for a long time, except for the oscillating multi-tool. That tool takes the battery to zero very quickly. They are my go-to tools in the shop and everywhere. I’ve had to replace one or two but that was after many years of service. No complaints.

Don't have the Bosch, but have had the Ridgid set for years. Filled out the LSA. Never a problem with these tools. On my original (2006 purchase date) 12V LI drill, I've had a couple sets of FREE replacement batteries using LSA.

Hi Patrick,

I like drills that have the option of standing upright. Both the Milwaukee and Bosch 12v drills are precarious in that orientation.

I've had a DeWalt 12v drill/driver set for close to 10 years now with no issues. They have been nice, light tools that feel good in the hand. I am not aware that DeWalt has a 12v router, however.

For a drill or driver, I consider the most important feature to be ergonomics. Take a drive down to your local hardware store, and see what feels best for you. As far as the operation of these respective tools, I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them.

Regards,
    Ryan

I bought the Bosch Flexclick combo kit 6 months-ago ... I'm very pleased with it. I have had the Bosch 12V combo drill-driver-hammer for 2 years ... clearly out-performs the two 12V Makitas that I have in battery life, power and smoothness.

I have the M12 kit as well as the small M12 sawz-all (fabulous tool) and love them. Compact, powerful & easy to carry. Oh and I recently picked up the m12 grease gun. It is just so much better than the old hand crank.

I've got the 12V bosch drill driver combo. Mostly bought it for the batteries for the trim router, which is excellent. I have been very happy with the tools, which have exceeded my expectations for what they can do. About 95% of my projects I use the Bosch instead of my 18V Dewalt drill driver, which are now mostly gathering dust.

One thing to think about before you buy the Bosch is that their 12v system is much more limited than Milwaukee, and it matters, since the batteries are a huge part of the price.

I purchased the Bosch Flexi Click when it first came out in 2017. It was my first Bosch 12V tool and I find that it has become my favorite go to tool for light and medium tasks. Even though this model is not brushless, it has impressive power and great run time for such a compact tool. The offset/eccentric chuck and the right angle attachment are excellent for cabinet assembly and installation and make this tool an incredibly versatile one. I didn't like the soft case that it came in so I systainerized mine. I have been thinking about adding the 12V impact driver, but my years old DeWalt 14.4V impact driver just won't quit.

I only have one Milwaukee 12v tool, the Hackzall and wanted to get the Milwaukee M12 FPDX interchangeable head percussion drill, but it is only available in Europe, so now I have multiple 12V platforms but I can live with that.

Bosch Flexiclick.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 05-18-2019 at 1:21 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I have the Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt 12V drills, drivers and impact. The Bosch and Milwaukee are fine. The Dewalts work well and have a decent run time on the batteries. But for the long haul, the batteries don't seem to last as long as the other two brands. Before you purchase, check out a new deal from Makita. I just got as two tool 18V set which included a keyless chuck drill and an impact driver with two batteries, one charger, and a case for 199.00 plus tax. The Makitas have the weight and feel closer to my 12V's, with the power and run time of an 18V. Plus Makita seems to be the only company left that is solely owned. All the others are parts of larger corporations.

I used the 12volt Milwaukee to finish main floor in my house and sheetrock basement, great tool. From all responces on Bosch think eather way ya go will have nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lloyd View Post
    Hi Patrick,

I like drills that have the option of standing upright. Both the Milwaukee and Bosch 12v drills are precarious in that orientation.

I've had a DeWalt 12v drill/driver set for close to 10 years now with no issues. They have been nice, light tools that feel good in the hand. I am not aware that DeWalt has a 12v router, however.

For a drill or driver, I consider the most important feature to be ergonomics. Take a drive down to your local hardware store, and see what feels best for you. As far as the operation of these respective tools, I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them.

Regards,
    Ryan
    Hi Patrick

I echo what Ryan writes - long after the cost is forgotten, the ergonomics remain.

It is difficult for anyone to give you the ultimate advice when it is a hand tool. You have to try it for yourself. I have 2 cordless drills, one is 25 years old, a Panasonic 12v. At the time I purchased it, I was struggling with a tennis elbow. I recall lifting a dozen different brands, holding them up ... and in the end it was the Panasonic that stood above the others for the least discomfort. It was expensive at the time but has proved itself to be a very strongly made tool. The batteries have been replaced a number of times, and I’ve just replaced them again, this time with NiMh types (fantastic!).

There are lighter, better drills available today. I am not advocating a Panasonic. It’s been 3 or 4 years since I purchased a second drill. This is a 10.8v Festool C12. It’s lighter but has the same balance/feel as the Panasonic. The point I want to make here is that it is used in the workshop and is not for carpentry. I do not need a bigger, more powerful drill. It is powerful enough to drill repeatedly into very hard wood, and it great at getting into cabinet corners or gently drilling screws. Again, I am not suggesting that you purchase a Festool, just that you seek out a tool that meets your needs, ergonomics being one and weight/power being others. Price must come into the equation. This is less so an issue for me since I rationalise that I will get years of use (and I have a wife with the same philosophy).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Milwaukee M12 and it is great for my use. I really do not care about the price but the ergonomics is critical and the Milwaukee fits my hands. Certainly, with the differences in hands every person may find that different brands feel better.

I have Festool Sanders because of the ergonomics and dust collection. My wrists are so worn out that ergonomics is the most critical criteria for me with any tool.

Blog Entries
    I own all versions of the Milwaukee m12 impacts. The latest generation is a bit fat in the grip compared to gen 1, but has better features and power of them.

I have owned both. The Bosch is a decent unit, but the Milwaukee stuff just has more power and runtime than any of the Bosch stuff I tried.
    The batteries and then the charger died early on my Bosch stuff- 3-4 years.
    I only buy Milwaukee now.