Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancient Threadless Spindle -> Threaded Spindle?

Blog Entries

I have the same lathe

Mine is a little different. Taking the head stock apart is not terribly difficult. Mine had to come apart to change the belt.

I will try to take some close up pictures to post later today or most likely tonight.

See this thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95603

Thanks for the link to the manual, I have been looking for this.

jim

Yeah - dis-assembly was pretty straight forward. There was some damage to the spindle (scratches from the point-tip screws) that I filed down and buffed out with a Dremel. I make a habit of checking the oil reservoirs on either side of the headstock before working, as I figure it will take some time to saturate back to the right level.

Did you replace the thrust bearing? If so - do you still have the part number information?

Looks like you repainted your lathe? I found one page where a person did a full electro-strip of the metal and then repainted it. Talk about dedication. hehe

-Michael

Blog Entries
    My lathe is pretty much as I bought it. It has only been in my shop a few weeks. Mine is a model # 103.23020 if my memory is working.
    I did buy a couple of live centers since it only had a dead center. Makes a lot of difference.

I am not sure if mine are thrust bearings or not, they looked like regular bearings. I didn't see any oil reservoirs, have to look again. The bearings look to have seals though. I do not know if the guy who owned it before did any replacements.

Here are some pictures of the head stock. One shows the cap over the outboard drive. The shaft is 3/4 inch with 16 threads per inch. The outboard drive is left hand thread. Grizzly has a universal mounting plate and one of the adapters is a 3/4X16 tpi left hand. The two jam nuts are 1-1/4 inch. Lucky for me I didn't give away all my old VW tools. The front wheel jam nuts from my old transportation are the same size. I always felt they would come in handy some day.

Hope this helps,

jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

ah.. I was wondering what the two screw holes to the sides of the spindle on the outer side of the head stock were supposed to be for. Now I see - thanks.

Though similar, I think we're using different gear. The thrust bearing (I'm pretty sure you have one, as there's nothing touching the outer diameter of your bearing there) is on the inside of my headstock. The reservoirs are pretty important and I'm pretty sure you have them. Take off the shielding from the front of the headstock (single screw at the bottom of the sheet). Look on the inside with a flashlight, right on top of where the spindle exits both sides of the headstock. You should see two tiny, little, flip lids. If you don't, get an old toothbrush in there and clean away the grime - hehe. You'll need an old school oil can with a long, flexible neck to access them - especially the one toward the tailstock.

I'll try to get some pictures of mine tonight to show you what I mean.

-Michael

Blog Entries
    The thrust bearing (I'm pretty sure you have one, as there's nothing touching the outer diameter of your bearing there) is on the inside of my headstock.
    I will look again today, but there actually is a ring between the jam nuts and the bearing on the outboard side and the collar on the spindle end pushes against the bearing on the other side.

jim

web site

Hello,

Try posting a wanted at this site

http://www.owwm.org/

also check out this guy, he may be able to help

http://theoldmachine.com/journal/craftsman-30-lathe/

Good luck
    Coz

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    [SNIP]

I am not sure if mine are thrust bearings or not, they looked like regular bearings. I didn't see any oil reservoirs, have to look again.
    [SNIP]

Hope this helps,

jim
    Jim,

Sorry for the delay. Here is the picture showing the caps to the oil reservoirs on the inside of the headstock:

http://home.nordberg.net/lathe/index.html#oil

This is a view straight from the back. You don't need to remove the front plate to do this. The one on the left is hard to see, but you can't miss the one on the right. Hope this helps.

After that is a quick pic of the pegboard and magnetic strips I setup this morning to hold the lathe chisels and free hand tools. Still have some clean-up to do. hehe

-Michael
    Last edited by Michael Nordberg; 11-16-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: adding aspect info about picture

Here is what you should buy and then have the 5/8" bored out to fit your lathe! The price is right!

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...865065&sr=1-32

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

The inside of that adapter is threaded, I believe. While I could have the exterior of the spindle threaded, I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I think the adapter from OneWay will be good enough for now, and also, if and when I get a better lathe, I just have to drop $25 for a new adapter.

-Michael

The adapter is not threaded on the inside for the shopsmith shaft. The shopsmith has a 5/8" shaft that all adapters for other attachments go on to. So it would just need to be bored out to 3/4". I asked my Dad and he could make one with no problem. He just needs to know how deep to make the 3/4" hole so it will not bottom out before it seats against the headstock. If the next lathe you buy has a 1" x 8tpi then you would not need another adapter and the chuck would be the correct size. I wish you lived in town as then I could fix you up real cheap and fast! I am the ultimate gadget guy and have tons of stuff and tools to get things done. And with my Dad having 3 metal lathes and a mill I am always creating something!

Good luck!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jim,

I have some more info about the oil reservoir for you. Please take a look at http://home.nordberg.net/lathe/index2.html . Toward the bottom of the page, you'll see what the actual inside of the reservoir looks like.

-Michael