Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you clean your 10" blades?

how do you clean your 10" blades?

Ok, so who uses what, and who has good experiences removing pine pitch? Walk me through your cleaning procedure...let it soak, scrub it immediately, etc. What kind of brush? Does anyone wax their plates after cleaning?

Thanks,

-matt

This is one of those frequently asked question, Matt. Here's what usually comes out from these discussions:

- Forrest recommends kerosene and nothing else. It's cheap and effective, but you gotta store it like the flammable fuel that it is.

- Many people use Simple Green. However, the manufacturer of Simple Green advises against using it on carbide. There is an aviation version of Simple Green which is safe for carbide. (Sorry, I don't recall the name.)

- Some people use oven cleaner. It works, but it's probably not a good idea considering how caustic oven cleaner can be. I've never heard of cutting teeth flying off after cleaning with oven cleaner, but I wouldn't recommend it.

- I've used ammonia. While it's effective, I have since learned it's not a good idea for carbide.

- There are a number of cleaners specifically designed for cleaning sawblades. Some work better than others, but theyre all kinda expensive. Although, you can reuse the stuff. You might try whatever is on sale and see what works best for you.

A soft brush is all you should need to get the blade clean. I wouldn't bother with waxing. It would probably just burn off the first time you use the blade. Happy cleaning.

This tub from Rockler really helps.

Also, when you click on this thread to read it...scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and check out the Similar Threads box.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Hey, that kit is pretty slick, Chris. Since gas prices are coming down, I just might have to make a trip to the Denver Rockler to pick up one of those and few other things I've been eying.

Did you say in another thread that they're now on sale?

Pat,

They go off and on sale plus Rockler often sends out "XX% off/free shipping email coupons" so get on their email list.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use 12" blades, but anyways:

Orange hand cleaner, spread on each tooth, gullets anywhere you see stains using a toothbrush, wait 10 minutes, scrub under warm water using same toothbrush. Teflon wax after drying off water...

Hey Pat! Be sure that that big old hill or small mountain on the way to Denver doesn't have Ice and Snow on it. My sister told me about it when I was out visiting but I can't remember the name they have for it.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

I use the CMT cleaner and a brass bristle brush.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=05INFROO

CPeter

From saw users on the Internet

I did an Internet search. Here are recommended cleaners in alphabetical order. All of these have people who strongly favor them. Many have people who oppose them. Some I would not use for health or safety reasons. All can be dangerous. For MSDS info check. The spray brake and carburetor cleaners generally are the most expensive, most dangous and don't work all that well.

Pro Pride Heavy Duty Cleaner Degreaser' from 'Smart and Final'
    Ammonia
    Arm & Hammer washing SODA
    Black Maxx
    Bladesnbits
    Boeshield Bit and Blade cleaner
    Borax
    brake fluid
    bug and tar removers for cars
    Castrol degrease
    Castrol Super Clean
    citrus-based cleaner
    CMT Formula 2050
    Dawn dishwashing detergent
    Dawn Power Dissolver
    De-Solve it
    Dish Soaps (For a Dishwasher)
    Do All machinery cleaner
    Empire Blade Saver
    Fantastic
    Fast Orange hand cleaner
    Freud fresolv(?)
    Fume Free Easy Off Oven Cleaner
    Gasoline
    Goo Gone
    Goof off
    Goop
    Greased Lightning
    Hand Soaps
    Hand Washing Dish Soaps
    Hot tap water and a nylon brush
    Kerosene
    Krud Cleaner from HD
    LA's Awesome Original Cleaner and Degreaser (undiluted)
    Lestoil
    Lye - a half teaspoon of lye and a drop of detergent in a quart of water
    M.E.K
    Mean Green
    methyl hydrate
    Mild Detergents
    mineral spirits, but will use Naptha, Acetone, Toluene or gasoline if that's all I have.
    most degreasers or citrus cleaners
    Mr. Clean
    Naphtha
    Oil Eater
    Orange Glow
    Oven cleaner works well too
    OxySolv, from Woodworker's Supply
    Purple power
    Rocklers cleaning kit
    Rolloff
    Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner
    Simple Green
    Simple Green Xtreme
    Solvents
    spray carburetor cleaner
    Spray Nine
    strong coffee for long term soaking
    Sudsy ammonia
    TSP or tri sodium phosphate
    Varsol
    Washing Soda
    water - just soak the overnight in a pan of water then scrub with a soft bristle brush.
    WD-40
    Woodcraft Resin Remover
    Zep Purple
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

There is an aviation version of Simple Green which is safe for carbide. (Sorry, I don't recall the name.)
    I believe it's called Extreme Simple Green.

My vote

A & H washing SODA.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Probably the best cleaning method is "often". If you don't wait till things are built up, you can clean them off with a squirt of 409 and a brass brush. I use L.A. Awesome that is available around here at the 99cents stores. Extreme Simple Green works just as well (and may be very similar in content). I haven't found many things that don't work unless I have procrastinated too long. Then I use a diluted LA Awesome or other Citrus cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or so. Then a brass 'toothbrush', then a rinse, then some T-9 and back on the rack.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If your blades are bare steel, and you're cleaning a blade that isn't in the saw all the time (like a glue-line rip or fine-tooth cutoff or Dado stack or something) I'd recommend giving the saw plate a quick wipe with your preferred rust-inhibiting product.

Ever since cleaning, rinsing and thoroughly drying a dado stack, and being shocked with finding little brown spots all over the plates when using the stack a couple of weeks later, I've taken this precaution, using Boeshield T-9. If the blade is regularly in use, then I wouldn't bother with this step.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I clean mine with mineral spirits and a brush, then a quick spray of WD40 for storage.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Probably the best cleaning method is "often". If you don't wait till things are built up, you can clean them off with a squirt of 409 and a brass brush. I use L.A. Awesome that is available around here at the 99cents stores. Extreme Simple Green works just as well (and may be very similar in content). I haven't found many things that don't work unless I have procrastinated too long. Then I use a diluted LA Awesome or other Citrus cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or so. Then a brass 'toothbrush', then a rinse, then some T-9 and back on the rack.
    I agree totally with Glenn's suggestion to clean often....your blades will work better and nearly any cleaner you can get your hands on will work well. I typically grab 409, LA's Totally Awesome, Simple Green, or Greased Lightning depending on what we have in the house....I've had good results from Goo Gone citrus cleaner too. Spray, brush, rinse....< 5 minutes from start to finish.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....