Thread: Intarsia Table

Intarsia Table

First off, a bit of an introduction: As it seem the majority of members here, I am a hobbyist woodworker who would happily trade his hobby for his day job were it at all possible. I came upon this forum a few weeks ago, and lurked around for a while before registering.

I'm interested in some peer feedback on this piece. For ages I had wanted to combine my interests in Asian forms, intarsia, and small furniture into a single project. The result was this table.

The base is a simple M&T joined maple frame, with a rosewood stain. The top starts with 1/2" MDF, on which the pattern was drawn out. The 'sky' is American Holly, the 'sun' is padauk, the 'tree' is wenge and poplar, and the 'hills' are cherry, cypress, and walnut. The thicknesses vary between 1/4" and 1/2", to provide some of the depth that characterizes intarsia. And it's all topped with glass to protect the wood and provide a flat surface.

My talents are nowhere near where I want them to be. This table was done a couple years ago and I like to think I've improved since. But I take some pride in its uniqueness - I have yet to see anything quite like it.

Thanks for looking.

Table1.jpg

Table2.jpg

Drew,

I think that is very cool! I like how the lines of the sky flow right through the sun. That is some inspirational work. Please share some of your other work as I bet you've improved nicely! Oh, and so you don't get too big a head, I don't care for bottom section of the legs of the table. haha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

This is a beautiful table. I can only hope to do work like that one day.

Drew, that's very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hello there,

Wow! I just showed my wife, and we both like it alot.

Most Intarsia I see looks too "crafty" to me, this has to be the first piece I have ever seen that I would want to make myself.

Very good work on a very nice table.

David.

Thanks for the responses. It's nice to hear from people with an understanding of what goes into the work.

The feet are meant as a representation of the inward turned claw feet you see on a lot of asian tables and cabinets. I wanted to show the asian intent, but keep the base simple to focus attention on the top. And I also knew I couldn't make a decent claw foot, so that's what I went with . I'm not sure if I quite achieved it, but that was the thought.

I actually feel the same way about intarsia, that it's too crafty. All that cutting and sanding and fitting, that use of precious hardwood, to produce a raccoon or something, seems misdirected to me. That's why I look for other ways to incorporate it. 'Cos at least to me, the process of building an intarsia piece is pure visceral woodworking joy. The selection of complimentary and contrasting wood, the incorporation of grain patterns to enhance the work, working the pieces to get the perfect fit, the improvisational aspects of letting the work become what it 'wants to be'. It's all there, and all you need is a scrollsaw and a drum sander.

Anyway... pardon the rant, and thanks again for the comments. Here's a couple of my more recent efforts. The arts and crafts table is quartersawn white oak with walnut accents and a tile top. It was made for my brother in Seattle, to fit in his tiny apartment.

TableComplete2.jpg

TableDetail2.jpg

The end table is all cherry - unusual for me; I rarely stick to a single species. It is one of three, made to continue the asian theme in my living room.

TableTwo1.jpg

TableTwo2.jpg
    Last edited by Drew Lavis; 10-15-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typos

great unusual table.... i love it.... thanks for posting....

Very nice, Drew..

Sarge..

Drew, intarsia isn't normally one of my favorites, but like the others have stated, the style of this one is unique. Very pleasing and a good mix of design and execution. It is certainly a fine piece and one of which you should be proud.

Now, the arts and crafts table - THAT is my style of furniture and a fine example. Well done!

Nice!

Drew,

All very nice stuff. Glad you're with us. Come back often.

Lon

11. Wink

I love the arts and crafts style table. Have you ever looked at the furniture designed by Greene and Greene? This piece has a bit of that style that I like .

Bill

All three tables are great. And the Intarsia is breathtaking. But my personal favorite is the Arts & Crafts table. Very tastefully done, love walnut accents. Also if you have more of your work to share please do so. Also Welcome to the Creek.

Hi Drew .... I think your intarsia work table top is really, really wonderful. I to like how you flowed your lines through the various wood species. I've been fooling around with similar work for years and you inspired me to post photos of a screen we built a few years ago. Also, I liked the arts and crafts table ... keep up the good work ...dan

Thanks again for the comments.

Arts and Crafts is my most recent interest, piqued by a visit to the Roycroft Inn (http://www.roycroftinn.com/inn/inn_history.htm), close to where I live. I have a couple books and I've done a lot of web-surfing. So I'm familiar with Greene & Greene, but I'm not partial to any particular style. I like the use of visible joinery (now that I'm getting good enough to not hide them ), and the use of accents and inlay.

That table is probably the best work I've done in terms of execution. I wish I had better pics to show.

I had to build it as a knock-down, so my brother to package it to take on an airplane. The lower shelf is held by the pins alone. The top is held on with ikea-type KD fasteners, and the walnut accents on the legs pry off to get at wood screws holding the legs and frame together.

[quote=Drew Lavis;945912]
    I actually feel the same way about intarsia, that it's too crafty. All that cutting and sanding and fitting, that use of precious hardwood, to produce a raccoon or something, seems misdirected to me. That's why I look for other ways to incorporate it. 'Cos at least to me, the process of building an intarsia piece is pure visceral woodworking joy. The selection of complimentary and contrasting wood, the incorporation of grain patterns to enhance the work, working the pieces to get the perfect fit, the improvisational aspects of letting the work become what it 'wants to be'. It's all there, and all you need is a scrollsaw and a drum sander.

Anyway... pardon the rant, and thanks again for the comments. Here's a couple of my more recent efforts. The arts and crafts table is quartersawn white oak with walnut accents and a tile top. It was made for my brother in Seattle, to fit in his tiny apartment.
    ----------------------------------------

Drew - I totally agree with your take on intarsia and personally like your efforts to 'clean the lines and modernize' the work.

Your projects are excellent! Welcome to the creek and for sharing your skills.........