Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer and featherboards

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

But you do bring up a good point and one that I don't think about much since I now rarely use the jointer for edges since buying my slider...my jointer function is now used 98% of the time for face jointing boards flat prior to thicknessing. Edges are cut exactly perpendicular to the face on the slider and are glue-ready. So I apologize for not thinking of what you bring up!
    And why should you have thought of it? I think we all tend to answer questions, or make recommendations, based on the equipment at our disposal and on our own methods of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I think we all tend to answer questions, or make recommendations, based on the equipment at our disposal and on our own methods of work.
    And that is exactly the collective wisdom of the CREEK!

Having said that, I daily discover that I do not have enough "equipment at my disposal", but my wife disagrees!

On the subject, I have the magswitch featherboard that I use on my TS and router extension, as well as a second Veritas router table. Works great, but I wouldn't use it on a jointer.

I use my mag units for edge jointing when I'm edge jointing a tall/wide board. It assists on the bottom edge ensuring it remains tight against the fence while I focus on the top remaining perpendicular and applying the appropriate pressure.

I do have a 12" jointer and could see some value in face jointing applications, but I've an aluminum fence so no dice in my shop Also, depending on the workpiece, I will often skew the board as it's going through the jointer to reduce possible tearout (maple especially).

mike

lots of guys use a power feeder on a jointer.
    Seems to me that part of what a feather board does is incorporated the power feed.

I can't see it harming you but I'm unsure why I'd want to.

I have used the rigid version of these:
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...5&cookietest=1

I used a couple of them like Mike mentions, just to keep the bottom edge tight on the fence for some edge jointing. As others have mentioned no real benefit to face jointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.