Thread: White Oak HF - Critique Requested

White Oak HF - Critique Requested

White oak hollowed form, 8 1/8" x 4 3/8" with a 1 1/8" bottom. The white oak was finished with wipe-on poly and the collar, of spanish cedar, was stained ebony and then poly. Don't really like to use poly, it seems too plastic-looking to me, but I read on this forum that buffing oak can be a problem. (I pay attention to what you guys say)

Got the white oak from turningblanks.net and they're 1st class wood providers. Don't have a chain saw or the available time ( I handle investments & have been busy) so I have to buy wood. The spanish cedar is way too soft for what I'm using it for, but I bought it and will use it all. First time I worked with white oak and probably my last. It's a pain.

My critique - it's too thick on the shoulders and the collar should probably be a little smaller. I appreciate all comments and will take them to heart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, I like the form just fine. I agree the collar could be a little smaller but all in all, a very nice piece. I can't wait to try a hollow form and I'd be thrilled to turn that piece.
    Tom

looks great to me. i think the collor could stay the same size just a little shorter so that it flows better. but hey, to the unknowing tourist it has nothing wrong and nothing could be better $$$$$
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Bill,
    Granted oak can be difficult, but the end grain (IMHO) is beautiful, even in ordinary straight grained wood. Especially when sanded to a faretheewell and given the "liquid glass look" finish.

That's a very nice piece. And yes, would like the collar to blend smoothly into the HF shape.
    Richard in Wimberley

Not sure I agree

I am not sure I would agree about the size or shape of the collar. I think that most of those choices are just subjective choices. I know there are supposed to be "rules" but if someone likes the piece then it is good. If it gets someone to part with their money then it is perfect.

Personally I like the work you have done, like you, I am not fond of poly finish. The piece is nicer than anything I have made at this point.

Nice job.

From someone who knows nothing I think the form is great and if it didn't have the ebony collar I would be interested in buying it if I saw it somewhere. I think the ebony detracts from the beauty of the white oak and throws it off balance in my eyes. Then again I am not normal either. A white oak collar would have been perfect for me. A beautiful piece either way. So much talent floating around these parts.

Hi Bill, frankly I think you call it right, my preference would be to have the collar set flush with the body, and have the body shape flow right on into the collar, size-wise it is quite large and ,smaller would probably look better.
    Now having said all this, doesn't mean it is a bad turning, I think it is a good looking HF and quite well done, we are just talking about could it look better ?? and than personal likes come up, I think we all do have references, and so we do get more forms and choices, a Good thing IMO
    Thanks for showing
    Have fun and take care

Looks mighty fine to me Bill. If the collar went straight across instead of curving up would be the only thing different I would do.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill - very nice work! Have to agree with a couple of folks here and would want to see the collar as a continuation of the outside curve (flush) and not something sitting on top of and separate from the form. Also, I think the form on this would be even more interesting if it was all one piece - no collar - but still mimic the same outline as you have turned. Would give it a southwestern flair. Just an another opinion!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I also agree with the others (smaller Collar). I would have brought the top up (more round) to blend the collar. Just my opinion,what do I know. I think the basic shape is very appealing.

I think it looks just fine, all of the elements are subjective for the most part. If there is something you don't like, incorporate the changes in the next piece.

Wow! The finish on there is awesome and so is the collar. The contrast looks great.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. This is the best way I know of to keep improving. Just bought a bucote board so I intend to start concentrating more on finials and collars.

Bill, as others have said, I would have liked to have seen the curve of the body flow into the collar more seamlessly, BUT, since it doesn't, I like your solution. The slight edge on the collar where it meets the body raises the entire collar just high enough to allow the curve of the body to continue. This actually is a good thing in that it shows how the mind's eye will complete a shape for us and that is part of our intelligence.

It is my opinion that you have done a wonderful job with this piece.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

It hard to judge from you photos... but since you asked... first, I love the wood and the finish is excellent. The collar draws my attention... the dark wood and it's size combine and draw the eye, a little smaller and the piece would appear more "balanced". What draws my eye after the collar is the curve as it descend from the fat rim...I find it very difficult to get this line right.. I usually straighten the curve a bit to much and end up with a piece that is to tall... it looks to me like that might be happening on this piece... how do you think it would look if the form was shorter and that curve a little tighter? Its subjective..and your photos dont give me what I need to offer a solid opinion.

That said... Id feel great if I had done that piece. Its lovely!!!!

Keep em coming!
    Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA