Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next project- crib

Next project- crib

I'm very close to starting this project. I've got the wood, bought a few new tools, got the plan drawn and cutlist made.

As I have said before, LOML prefers painted furniture in general, so I'm using poplar for everything except maybe mdf for the raised panels.

crib 2d.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wright Woodall View Post
    I'm very close to starting this project. I've got the wood, bought a few new tools, got the plan drawn and cutlist made.

As I have said before, LOML prefers painted furniture in general, so I'm using poplar for everything except maybe mdf for the raised panels.

crib 2d.jpg

I'm nearly finished with my crib project that, with the exception of the raised panel ends (I uses slats), is very similar. Some considerations:

- How are you planning to attach the slats? M&T?
    - Are you doing anything to allow for the sides (gates) to lower/raise?
    - How are you going to support the mattress and will it allow for different height levels?
    - Unless you have spraying capabilities consider pre-finishing before assembly.

I'll post some pictures of mine when it's complete, but it's been a series of firsts for me and very rewarding.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pauly View Post
    I'm nearly finished with my crib project that, with the exception of the raised panel ends (I uses slats), is very similar. Some considerations:

- How are you planning to attach the slats? M&T?
    - Are you doing anything to allow for the sides (gates) to lower/raise?
    - How are you going to support the mattress and will it allow for different height levels?
    - Unless you have spraying capabilities consider pre-finishing before assembly.

I'll post some pictures of mine when it's complete, but it's been a series of firsts for me and very rewarding.

Michael

The "slats" are actually 3/4" dowels, so I'll just drill about 3/4" deep hole and glue'em in. I can't take any credit for the design, I basically just copied a picture the LOML found on the web. I was kinda glad she liked one with dowels so I didn't have to mess with M&T or something else.

The sides will be fixed. My wife and I are both pretty tall (5'-11 1/2" and 6'-4" respectively) so we didn't see the need for drop sides. I will be putting in some threaded inserts so we can adjust the Rockler crib mattress kit I have purchased.

I also bought the HF HVLP gun ( can't remember number) that has been discussed on the creek some. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to be spraying the crib. Even so, I may do some pre-finishing... good idea.

Thanks for the input, it helps me to go over some of this stuff thats been floating around in my head.

Love to see pics of yours when its done or in progress!

The dowels will take away some of the complications that M&T's might generate with that many.

But.. if you prefer M&T's... bring some wood Sat. when you pick up the Uni-saw. We could do about 50 mortices in an hour with you doing tenons at your shop. I got a "little" mortice machine that is raring to go if you feed it.

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice "little" machine

Thanks Sarge!

I think I'm going to stick with dowels for this one, though I do want to do some M&Ts on future projects.

Actually, the horizontal members on the ends of the crib will have tenons, but the mortises in the legs will be cut out of the middle piece out of 3 pieces before they are glued-up to form the 3" legs. Keeps me from having to do a true cut-out mortise or trying to find 12/4 poplar. Stole that idea from a different set of crib plans!

I asked the LOML if she specifically wanted the dowels early on and also made some other design changes that I thought she might like, but she was pretty set on just copying the one she saw online. Easy for me.

Thanks again for the offer, though, you're turning out to be a pretty good guy to know!

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    The dowels will take away some of the complications that M&T's might generate with that many.

But.. if you prefer M&T's... bring some wood Sat. when you pick up the Uni-saw. We could do about 50 mortices in an hour with you doing tenons at your shop. I got a "little" mortice machine that is raring to go if you feed it.

Sarge..

Update 8.8.08

Planed all the 6/4 poplar down to 1 1/8" on Monday night. Stayed up til 2:00am last night getting almost all of the pieces ripped to size. Paying the price today. May have to take a nap this afternoon before I start gluing up the legs. I'll take pictures when it gets a little more interesting.

Later...

Wright

Didn't get a nap or do any work on the crib yesterday afternoon, so I had a lot more to do today.

Started the day working on the legs. Cut out the mortise sections on the middle pieces and glued up all 4 legs. Detoured for a few minutes to cut a dado in a cedar 2x4 for a friend that stopped by. He drooled over my Unisaw a little. After the glue set, I squared one side of each leg on the table saw and then ran them through the planer several times to get the other side flat. I had left all the pieces 1/8" wide from the start so I didn't have to align them perfectly when gluing, and in the end, they came out just like I expected.

IMG_0633 (Large).JPG

I spent the rest of the day until about 30 minutes ago making up the ends of the crib. Cut tenons on the horizontals where they meet the legs and used biscuits where the verticals meet the horizontals. Made the MDF raised panels on the table saw. Got one end mostly glued up. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks so far.

IMG_0638 (Large).JPG

Planning on getting both ends completely glued up tomorrow after church.

Later...

Wright

You certainly aren't wasting time... a feather in your cap as I see it...

Sarge..

Got both ends all put together this afternoon, except for the caps across the top. I'll be working on the sides throughout the week, drilling lots of holes for dowels, mainly. Coming together pretty well so far.

IMG_0641 (Large).JPG

Update

Tonight I got the tops for the crib ends glued up (ran out of 6/4 so i glued up some BORG 3/4" and 1/2" and will plane down tomorrow.) Also built an auxiliary table for the drill press I borrowed. It is an AMT drill press, Made in China, 5 speed plus oscillation, 2" quill travel. Nothing fancy, but for 3/4" holes @ 1" deep it worked just fine on the test piece. I'll drill lots of holes and post more pics tomorrow.

It is a week later, but I did get all the holes drilled last week as planned. Tonight I made the 3/4" end pieces of the sides and cut all the dowels to length with a quick and dirty stop block setup on the CMS.

IMG_0649 (Large).jpg

Then I dry fit one side.

IMG_0648 (Large).JPG

Meanwhile, the future occupant of the crib is 3 weeks away if he comes on time.

Later...

Wright

Both sides are glued up as of last night.

Still some sanding left to do.

Will put the tops on the ends tonight.

Holes to drill for hardware.

Prime, paint, etc.

More pics to come.

Later...

Wright

Blog Entries
    Hopefully you know this already, but please make sure the dowel centers for the side slats are no more than 3" O.C. and the matress fits tight (less than 1/2" per side) inside the enclosure. Greater spacings can be dangerous. If you or your wife can stick a fist through between the slats they are too far apart!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Hopefully you know this already, but please make sure the dowel centers for the side slats are no more than 3" O.C. and the matress fits tight (less than 1/2" per side) inside the enclosure. Greater spacings can be dangerous. If you or your wife can stick a fist through between the slats they are too far apart!

Thanks Lee,

The LOML made sure I checked the Consumer Product Safety crib-building standards before I started. My dowels are 2 7/8" o.c. so only 2 1/8" between. 2 3/8" is the max they call for. Standards say less than 2 finger widths around mattress IIRC, but I should have more in the 1/2" range.

Later...

Wright
    Last edited by Wright Woodall; 08-21-2008 at 5:34 PM. Reason: spelling

nice project

very nice start, how far apart are you placing your dowels?